Was Inzamam a choker?

Shehezaada

Jayasuriya failed in both the SF and final of the '96 cup. It was DeSilva's brilliance that took SL home.
i agree... but he was unstoppable in the group games and super sixes (or whatever next stage was there in '96). but i also remember him bowling really well against india in Semis...didn't contribute with the bat.. but contributed well with the ball...
i agree... but he was unstoppable in the group games and super sixes (or whatever next stage was there in '96). but i also remember him bowling really well against india in Semis...didn't contribute with the bat.. but contributed well with the ball...
True, no doubt Jaya played more than handy part in the '96 triumph. I was objecting to him being the termed as the sole reason or something. Doing so is taking a lot away from two absolute gems that DeSilva played.
True' date=' no doubt Jaya played more than handy part in the '96 triumph. I was objecting to him being the termed as the sole reason or something. Doing so is taking a lot away from two absolute gems that DeSilva played.[/quote'] Again agreed... but i was just trying to point out the one-off inning VS being consistent performer. whether be it ball or bat... Sachin's only bad luck has been .. there was nobody to pull off a DeSilva in the worldcup semi's and finals. but it has been a pleasure to see Sachin step up the plate almost everytime...
The 3 WC matches against India ... Inzi did nothing ... (I dunno if he played in the 1992 WC match against us) .... Plus the last 2 odis of the jeet lo dill series ..... those are the most important matches that we played against Pak.
Ganguly also did nothing against Pakistan in the two matches he played against them...yet he's not called a choker. The first game of a 5 game series is also very important. However if we go by your logic..The last two matches of jeet lo dil Inzamam scored 123 off 121 balls and 38 off 51 balls (2nd highest behind moin)
He's never stepped up as Pak's best batsman in a world cup. The only time he did was when he was an unknown youngster. After that, he failed in the '96 quarter, '99 final, entire '03 was a disaster and so was '07. In test cricket, he was a good batsman bordering on great at times but because of his non performance against Aus and RSA, history won't remember him as a great batsman. I think Javed Miandad and Saeed Anwar were better batsmen than him.
That's unfair because almost every batsman has holes in his record e.g Sachin has an average record against SA and even after the retirement of the great Pakistani bowlers he still averages under 40 against PAK. Similarly Miandad had a poor record against the WI, Saeed didn't do well against WI or SA, Ponting can't score runs in IND, Lara struggled against the PAK and SA attacks of the 90s and has an average record against IND, S Waugh couldn't get runs against PAK. so why single out Inzi?
Dont worry about Ganguly ... lets just talk about Inzi .... going by that logic no one can ever be accused ..... I presented those matches because you wanted few examples of Inzi choking. Pak lost the first game (and the last 2) ! He played well but it was not enuff .... Harsh you might say ... but isnt that the same criteria people use to judge SRT ?
Bheembhai...why contradict yourself in the same post? If you choose to leave Ganguly out of this thread and talk just of Inzamam Ul Haq...then why apply SRT to the same equation?
Because no one ever accused Gangs of being in the same class as Inzi ? You bought up scorecards trying to Proove Inzi was a matchwinner and Iam bringing up scorecards to disprove that ... based on your own criteria ... lets stick to that.
i'm not sure where Ganguly and Inzi's class come from. The thread is about choking...and when I brought Ganguly into the equation, it was only because you chose the matches to which Inzamam failed, and I countered that by using Ganguly. Then you went the SRT way....that's double standards. Why apply the SRT haters logic any way? You know they are wrong, I know they are wrong...so why bother? But ok..we can go the statistic way. Here is Inzy's record chasing in ODIs. Quite a decent average of 41..although not in the class of Sachin Tendulkar. Here are some critical knocks he has played under pressure. 1) 90*/104 balls after West Indies score 259 in 45 overs. Guides Pakistan home against Ambrose and Walsh...superb innings, and remember this is the era where 250 was a winning score in 50 overs. 2)91*/80 balls chasing 250 in 50 overs against an Australian attack of McGrath and McDermott and Warne. Though not as impressive as he was aided by Anwar and Sohail, it is a wonderful knock and a match winning one against Australia 3) 116* against Zimbabwe in ZIM. ZIM posts 209 in a spongy track and then rips apart the Pakistan top order. It's 23/4 and Inzamam plays one of the best knocks of his career to guide PAK home...next highest score? 54 from Ijaz, and 19 from Moin 4) Fast bouncy track and SRL posts 295. Inzamam comes to the crease when it's 45/2 in 9 overs and plays arguably the finest knock of his career. 116*/110 in which Murali came in for sever tap as Pakistan chase down 296. Only one other 50 plus score from Ijaz in the innings..superb stuff 5) A commanding 76*/59 balls to give Pakistan victory against SRL chasing 295 Keep it going boys!