Cricket Anecdotes (spawned from the Gavin Robertson thread)

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath
Hari, its interesting to see someone with a tainted action as ur no.2 any reasons?? cuz of the no.of wkts solely?? how do u rate shane warne? and last but not least how dare u put sachin at no.5 :D. expect 100 more posts....
Well firstly, I think that although Murali has a quirky action, over the years I have seen him bowl and think his action is perfectly legal, and also that he has no special advantage because of his action, he would anyway be spinning the ball miles. Warnie of course is a fantastic bowler, a champion bowler, but his wkts are somewhat more easily earned by virtue of being a leg spinner, he has more options of mode dismissals. And then, being a leg spinner, a higher possibility of getting wkts even thru bad balls and ordinary bowling and also through batsman's mistakes and bad shots off long hops too. In contrast, an off spinner has lesser modes of dismissals relatively available, and has to rely a great deal on flight, length, spin, and gets all the classic dismissals of a spinner beating a baatsman in the air and getting him . Murali also clean bowls top batsmen and good players of spin when well set, on the defence. Murali can actually dictate whether the batsman plays back, forward stretch or down the wicket, whereas, Warne has lesser back foot options, and gets more wickets on line misjudgements than length. Finally, Murali's phenomenal strike rate, winning games almost single handedly especially when he doesn't have the kind of runs that Warne has behind him, scored by the Aussies, plus of course there being so many great bowlers along with Warne, there is pressure from everywhere for batsmen, whereas, in Murali's case, batsmen can simply choose to play him out, take no risks and afford to go at other bowlers. Also Murali has been more successful in both versions and against all sides, as compared to Warne. ( Indian batsmen's play was a great factor for me), because I have seen if Warne was attacked he sometimes went bad, but I don't think that any batsman in the world had successfully attacked Murali for long. And then the record that speaks for itself, giving him my vote over Warne.
Guest HariSampath

I am not too sure when this incident took place exactly, but I t was between Ian Botham and Mark Waugh I believe.. Mark Waugh greeted Ian Botham's arrival at the crease with " Beefy, how is your wife and my kids, mate" Botham replied "The wife is fine ...and the kids are retarded" :D

Guest HariSampath

In course of the timeless test match at The Oval 1938 when England made 903-7 dec. Arthur Wood, the England keeper had come in at the fall of the 6th wicket at 770, and got a brisk 50. As he was walking back , one of the club members told him " well played Arthur" to which Woods replied "Thanks, I am always at my best in a crisis":regular_smile:

This is from the book Cricket Mad by Michael Parkinson. The subject of the story is the Australian all rounder Cec Pepper who spent his latter days in the Lancashire league : Cec Pepper was the scourge of Lancashire league umpires, blasting the meek with his belligerent appeals, making the lay preachers blush with his vivid langauge. The umpire who faced up to him had to be a special kind of human being and George Long was such a man. George was standing one day at the end where Pepper was bowling, when Pepper made one of his raucous Australian appeals for lbw, which was answered by a quiet notout. Whereupon Pepper gave vent to a histrionic stream of invective, throwing in all the stock-in-trade props - spectacles, white stick, guide dog, illegitimacy, bloody minded Englishness and four letter words - all of which George completely ignored. The same thing happened after the next ball and yet again the following one, after which George called 'Over' and walked to his squareleg position, followed by Pepper - obviously disturbed by the lack of reaction from the umpire. 'I suppose you're going to report all this bad language to the league ?', said Pepper. 'No', replied George. 'Ah likes a chap as speaks his mind'. Pepper was obviously delighted. 'So do I', he said smilingly, 'and I must say it is a refreshing change to meet an umpire like you. I'm glad that we understand each other'. 'Aye', said George. The first ball of the next over again hit the batsman's pad, whereupon Cec whirled round to George, arms outstretched and did his usual Red Indian war whoop. His Howzat was heard all around the ground. 'Notout, you fat Australian bastard', said George quietly.

I am not too sure when this incident took place exactly, but I t was between Ian Botham and Mark Waugh I believe.. Mark Waugh greeted Ian Botham's arrival at the crease with " Beefy, how is your wife and my kids, mate" Botham replied "The wife is fine ...and the kids are retarded" :D
Actually, it was Rod Marsh.
Guest HariSampath
This is from the book Cricket Mad by Michael Parkinson. The subject of the story is the Australian all rounder Cec Pepper who spent his latter days in the Lancashire league : Cec Pepper was the scourge of Lancashire league umpires, blasting the meek with his belligerent appeals, making the lay preachers blush with his vivid langauge. The umpire who faced up to him had to be a special kind of human being and George Long was such a man. George was standing one day at the end where Pepper was bowling, when Pepper made one of his raucous Australian appeals for lbw, which was answered by a quiet notout. Whereupon Pepper gave vent to a histrionic stream of invective, throwing in all the stock-in-trade props - spectacles, white stick, guide dog, illegitimacy, bloody minded Englishness and four letter words - all of which George completely ignored. The same thing happened after the next ball and yet again the following one, after which George called 'Over' and walked to his squareleg position, followed by Pepper - obviously disturbed by the lack of reaction from the umpire. 'I suppose you're going to report all this bad language to the league ?', said Pepper. 'No', replied George. 'Ah likes a chap as speaks his mind'. Pepper was obviously delighted. 'So do I', he said smilingly, 'and I must say it is a refreshing change to meet an umpire like you. I'm glad that we understand each other'. 'Aye', said George. The first ball of the next over again hit the batsman's pad, whereupon Cec whirled round to George, arms outstretched and did his usual Red Indian war whoop. His Howzat was heard all around the ground. 'Notout, you fat Australian bastard', said George quietly.
v good ! :haha:
Guest HariSampath
Actually' date=' it was Rod Marsh.[/quote'] thanks, ya it could be, read it online a few years back. Mrk waugh was of course another famous sledger
Guest HariSampath

Source : grapevine Adelaide Test 1980/81 series: Sunil Gavaskar to Chetan Chauhan ( in the midst of a torrid Lillee Pascoe spell) " shut your f**ckng mouth and don't look at the bowlers after playing each ball. With your teeth like that he thinks you are grinning and mocking him, and he gets mad and bowls faster to me. I care less about your teeth than my stumps" :D

Source : grapevine Adelaide Test 1980/81 series: Sunil Gavaskar to Chetan Chauhan ( in the midst of a torrid Lillee Pascoe spell) " shut your f**ckng mouth and don't look at the bowlers after playing each ball. With your teeth like that he thinks you are grinning and mocking him, and he gets mad and bowls faster to me. I care less about your teeth than my stumps" :D
did he really say that>>> then i wud say what a pu.ssy gavaskar is.......:finger:
Guest HariSampath
did he really say that>>> then i wud say what a pu.ssy gavaskar is.......:finger:
Yes he really said that, I have it from one of the players in the dressing rooms itself and it happened during a break it seems, but Sunny was NO *****. He just didn't believe in giving fast bowlers extra reasons to bowl hostile unnecessarily, that is good thinking and rightly so.