Holysmoke

Most of you might have read this by now, but I think this is the thread to post it: - The talismanic senior-most pro speaks in the lead-up to his 400th ODI LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI10sachin4a.jpg

Vadodara: Come Thursday and Sachin Tendulkar will make his 400th ODI appearance — the only other member of this most elite of clubs is Sanath Jayasuriya. On Tuesday evening, Sachin (cricket’s senior-most pro) spoke to The Telegraph at the Taj Residency. The following are excerpts: On whether he’s one hundred per cent fit Fine… Fine… Too much shouldn’t have been made of my knee strain yesterday (in Chandigarh)… On his 79, Team India’s top score in Chandigarh It was a different kind of innings and my priority had been to get myself in and, then, build on the start… It turned out to be a crucial knock and it helped that Sourav (Ganguly) was at the other end… He was immensely supportive… It helps when your partner keeps talking to you between overs, keeps encouraging you… It counts for more when he has himself played over 300 ODIs… The Australians were bowling some very good balls and it was important not to lose a wicket early… Sourav and I set out to lay a foundation (they added 91)… Of course, later, we had batsmen who could go for the big hits. On his innings coming just days after chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar asked the seniors to buck up I don’t wish to comment. On whether age should at all be the criterion for selection Performance, not age should be the criterion… I don’t wish to join in any debate, but what I’ve said is what I believe in. On being hours away from his 400th ODI appearance Feels nice… I’m soon also going to complete 18 years of international cricket… It’s been a long journey and I have fond memories… I feel honoured that I’ve been able to play for the country for so many years… On his approach on Thursday It will be a special day, but I intend treating it like any other match. It’s not that I’m going to get carried away. On whether his family will be in the stands No… No… On whether he remembers where he made his 100th, 200th and 300th appearances (Laughs) I don’t, the first two were certainly many years ago… The 300th could have been against… No, I’m not sure. [The 100th was versus New Zealand in Pune (1995), 200th against Zimbabwe in Harare (1998) and the 300th was versus Sri Lanka in Colombo (2002).] On what keeps him going My love for cricket… I haven’t stopped enjoying it… When you love doing something, you don’t have to worry about motivation. Also, the enjoyment remains. On having got back the opening slot in the summer I’ve opened for most of my career and, yes, I’m most comfortable there. On the three ODI performances which have given him most satisfaction You’ve asked a tough question… (After a pause) The ones which probably stand out are (a) the last over I bowled (1-0-3-0) at the Eden in the 1993 Hero Cup semi-finals against South Africa; (b) my run in the April 1998 tournament in Sharjah, when I totalled 435 in five matches and © the 98 versus Pakistan in Centurion, during the 2003 World Cup… On teammates (batsmen only, seniority-wise) he has admired in ODIs This is even tougher and I’m bound to miss out some names… (Mohammed) Azharuddin, Ajay Jadeja, Sourav… (Vinod) Kambli played some good innings… Rahul (Dravid) has a fine record… (Virender) Sehwag has had good knocks… Yuvraj (Singh), (Mahendra Singh) Dhoni… On the non-Indian batsmen Brian Lara and Inzamam-ul Haq — both very special. On his advice to a debutant Reproduce the form you showed in domestic cricket, for that has brought you to the big stage… Perform with the belief that the team is backing you… Indeed, give your best without worrying about the result. Finally, on having handled big-time pressure for almost 18 years (Laughs again) I thought we were just talking of my thoughts in the lead-up to my 400th ODI! Let’s keep it to that only… --------------------------------------------------------- So he plans to take it as just another match. I suppose it is good. 400 is just a number. Why make sound as such a milestone or something!

top.gif

And have you all read this piece from Harbhajan Singh? ‘Sachin’s 400 is stunning’ After Jayasuriya, Tendulkar is poised to play his 400th ODI on Thursday. His Team India mate Harbhajan Singh salutes his friend, hero, role model Sachin Tendulkar playing his 400th one-day match is unbelievable, almost sounds unreal. For me, great is not the word—very, very great. Only a few players can even dream of achieving it. You need a lot of fitness, focus. You wake up every day and keep doing the same thing; you have to put in hard work, then handle pressure, maintain focus and form, it’s not easy. It’s not as it looks on TV. He is a real hero. He has been serving the country for so many years with so much pride, I salute him. Sachin is a great friend, too. I first met him in 1996-97 in Chandigarh, when I was bowling to the Indian team at the nets. Then, it was a dream come true to meet my hero. Anil Kumble, Navjot Sidhu and Mohammad Azharuddin were also there. At that time, I talked to Sachin and he told me to keep working on my game and work hard. That was enough for me, those words coming from such a great man, it was an inspiring moment. Then, one and-a-half years later, I was in the team. Since then, he was always there for me, guiding me on numerous occasions. He used to tell me you need to know where you want to go, for there will be a lot of distractions. He said your job is to remain focused and not get carried away. And he asked me to believe in myself, in my abilities. After I took 32 wickets against Australia in 2001-02, I was taking everyone’s autograph on the man-of-the-series sheet. Sachin wrote: “It is beginning of your career. A great start for your career. Keep working hard and make sure that you keep performing well.” He also gave me two pairs of spikes (cricket boots) as a present. Playing alongside him, sharing the same dressing room is a feeling I really can’t explain. His presence in the dressing room itself is so important for us. Even now, when you feel you are not there on the ground, he comes and peps you up. He is a great role model. It’s not easy to play cricket like him, he has played all his cricket so authoritatively. It’s absolutely stunning what he has done for the country. ------------------------------------------------------------ Good feelings!

"Sharing the dressing room with him is a dream. And' date= when Sachin (Tendulkar) plays his 400th ODI it will not only be a memorable moment in his life, it will be a moment to cherish for me as well," Yuvraj Singh said.
haramkhorr.... to kya g**nd marane itna kharab shot khela ?? sorry UV :rose:

it wasnt the best way to celebrate a special 400th game but i think today's hard fought performance shows why, after 18 plus years, he still remains the 'battle hardened' Little Master. it definitely wasnt easy batting on that pitch and have the pressure of trying to save india a little respect with a decent score.