Counties drop referrel experiment

talksport

MM I still await for your response on a test match/series where you claim it evened out .... as in we getting the benfit more than the opposition .... just within the last year we have had some of the greatest muggeries ... the WI series and the SAF series .... I would hereby like to see a series where things went our way. Kindly be very specific and not vague. It should be very easy as you seem to claim it evens out pretty much all the time. Its a humble request ... else there is no end to this and it will go down the same road as soo many other discussions on this topic.
Sorry BB , i may have missed your query in this maelstrom of a thread. And for your question , I cannot actually recollect any series where i can definitely say - We got the rub of the green. I have told you examples in the previous one-day series against Aus where, if not for umpiring errors , we would have lost 6-0. And surely BB , we shall monitor the upcoming the test series against Pak , Aus and Saffies. I am quite to eager to do that with you.
What is so sacred about the umpires decision that is shouldn't be challenged and over-ruled if incorrect?
Because that will the excitement of the game, it will rob the game of the some of the best innings/strokeplay it will see.. will you comfortable with teams getting out for sub 150 totals , no batsman ever making centuries , test matches getting over in 2 days , and tense one-day finals , where the team chasing are in with a good shout , but are overruled because of technology ?
Because that will the excitement of the game, it will rob the game of the some of the best innings/strokeplay it will see..
WTF! didnt you say that it all evens out? if it does, how will it rob the game of any "best innings/strokeplay" If it all evens out, batsmen will be given out when they are not out, and given not out when they are out. So shouldnt net effect be zero, as you say?(it all evens out) Unless you are trying to say that batsmen will be given not out from both teams, which has already been shown to u as not fair, by comparing taibu and hayden
Yes!! I would rather watch a FAIR ALBEIT BORING sport, as compared to a UNFAIR BUT FUN sport. Isnt that what sport was all about?
Fair ? Is sport fair at all ? Why are people from different countries competing in a variety of disciplines then ? Say Bangladeshis are of smaller build , why would they even bother competing with the big Aussie fast bowlers then ? Sport is not life dude , where you go proclaiming - " It has to be fair" After all , no one dies. Sport is a visual medium , that needs to make for exciting viewing. Understand that. Sport is there to entertain , not to try to " be fair"
Okay, thats a fair point. We should do all we can to help the umpires. So then, should we give the umpire authority to refer LBW's to the third umpire? He isnt making a decision, he is referring it, so being over-ruled does not come into the question. seems fair?
Whats the point ? Might as well make the third umpire take call in the first place then. I say this again and again. This is NOT about " Getting it right". This is about what makes cricket an exciting sport to watch. If we are to over-rule umpires , the fun element will disappear.
WTF! didnt you say that it all evens out? if it does, how will it rob the game of any "best innings/strokeplay" If it all evens out, batsmen will be given out when they are not out, and given not out when they are out. So shouldnt net effect be zero, as you say?(it all evens out) Unless you are trying to say that batsmen will be given not out from both teams, which has already been shown to u as not fair, by comparing taibu and hayden
No , I didnt mean that. I meant , EVERY batsman will be given out before he even he reaches 50, because hardly any innings in chanceless.
Which is a problem and gross injustice isnt it ? Afterall the laws guarantee us fair play and a level playing field isnt it ?
But BB , i have been crying out loud that sport , as a visual medium , is NOT about level playing field, getting it right. Its about exciting , uncertain stuff to watch.
I wont even bother with the ODIs .... lets just stick to the Test matches which are a far more serious affair .... And just of the top of my head we had the MAlaysia ODI series where MSD was given out of a noball when well set in a knock out match. You have Pontings LBW in the 2003 final and so on and so forth .... but lets stick to test matches.
Why only tests ? why not ODIs ? I dont understand.
Damn right MM .... there is no place for manufacturing stuff on a cricket field .... absolutely none .... what you are saying is like whats the fun if there are no thieves and crooks in real life .... I just dont know how you can say that. :omg_smile:
You are talking about life. I am talking about sport , as a visual entertainment medium. Why dont you get the difference ?
Fair ? Is sport fair at all ? Why are people from different countries competing in a variety of disciplines then ?
Ofcourse its fair..! People are competing for the fun of it. Wouldnt an unfair sport be no fun?
Say Bangladeshis are of smaller build ' date=' why would they even bother competing with the big Aussie fast bowlers then ?[/quote'] Oh boy, dont even go there. Build has nothing to do with skill. Aussie fast bowlers are big, blah blah. Does any one of them compare to Marshall? Was Marshall as big as any of them? But was he a better bowler?
Sport is not life dude ' date=' where you go proclaiming - " It has to be fair" After all , no one dies. [/quote'] So just because nobody's life depends on it, daylight robbery is allowed?
Sport is a visual medium ' date=' that needs to make for exciting viewing. Understand that. Sport is there to entertain , not to try to " be fair" [/quote'] well then, why dont we just decide the LBW appeals by a coin toss? It sure isnt fair, but who cares? It'll be damn entertaining!!
Whats the point ? Might as well make the third umpire take call in the first place then. I say this again and again. This is NOT about " Getting it right". This is about what makes cricket an exciting sport to watch. If we are to over-rule umpires , the fun element will disappear.
Ya, so then make the third umpire take the call in the first place.. why not? Why is it not about getting it right? If you think it makes cricket more exciting to watch, then why dont we decide the LBW outcome by a toss? It'll even out wont it? I mean probability of getting a head or a tail is exactly the same!
No i havent. You guys dont seem to see the point. Introduce technology and watch cricket become the most boring ' date=' drab sport to watch. Happy then ? :D[/quote'] You seriously think cricket will become boring if we eliminate some of the umpiring screwups and get things right? If anything, a world cup finals 2003 would have been more interesting if someone like a Ponting was given lbw correctly, early.