Pataudi Trophy yet to reach India

DesiChap

New Delhi: The Pataudi Trophy, awarded to Team India for winning the last Test series in England, is still to reach India. In fact, it’s at the Lord’s Museum in London. “I’m not quite sure of the problem, but it was supposed to have been sent soon after the presentation (at the Brit Oval, on August 13),†former captain Mansur Ali Khan, who handed the Trophy over to Rahul Dravid, told The Telegraph. Speaking on Friday, he added: “I hope it’s soon in India and gets pride of place at the Board office in Mumbai.†The Trophy, to be awarded to the winner of the India-England Test series in England only, has been instituted by the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) in recognition of the Pataudi family’s services to the sport. Indeed, both father (Iftikhar Ali Khan) and son captained India, while Pataudi Sr is the lone cricketer to have played for both India and England. That’s fairly well documented, but few perhaps know that Pataudi Jr’s maternal grandfather, the Nawab of Bhopal, headed the Board in the mid-1930s. Polo is the family’s other passion. While the MCC has thought it fit to recognise the family’s contribution, the Board is yet to name a trophy after the Pataudis. “It’s not for me to comment,†is all that Pataudi Jr said. Footnote: The winner of the India-England Test series in India is supposed to be presented with the Anthony Demello Trophy. That, however, hasn’t been done for years.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071103/asp/sports/story_8506572.asp