I've never changed the way I do things, says Sachin

DesiChap

Calcutta: Come Thursday and 34-year-old Sachin Tendulkar, the sport’s senior-most pro, will complete 18 years as an India cricketer. Sachin, who is in Gwalior with the Mahendra Singh Dhonis, spoke to The Telegraph from the team hotel (Usha Kiran Palace) there. The following are excerpts On being hours from completing 18 years of international cricket To be honest, I haven’t given the date much thought... All I can say is that I’ve enjoyed every minute of playing for India... Having put in so many years gives a nice feeling. On memories of November 15, 1989 (After a pause) I was tense... I was nervous... I was also excited... It was a big moment for me then and remains a huge moment even now... It’s difficult describing the emotions and, to be frank, I just didn’t know what to expect... That Pakistan batted first allowed my nerves to settle down. On whether he’d slept well the night before I did, in fact... On whether he’d done anything different that morning Not really... As usual, I said my prayers. On who’d informed him that he would be making his Test debut (youngest for India) From what I remember, both (captain Krishnamachari) Srikkanth and manager (Chandu) Borde... They spoke to me during the team meeting the previous evening. I’d got 40-odd in the lead-up game and, so, was expecting to make the XI. On whether any teammate had something special to say once the XI was announced I can’t recall anything in particular... As that was the first morning of the series, I suppose everyone was busy with his own preparations. On how far he’d hoped to go after getting his maiden Test cap Didn’t think of anything except putting my best foot forward... At that age, all that mattered was the excitement of playing for India... It was the realisation of a dream... I didn’t, for a moment, think of the consequences of not scoring or the benefits of scoring... I scored 15 in the only innings I batted and was struck by the sharp difference in pace at the Test level. [Pakistan’s fiery attack included captain Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and debutant Waqar Younis. It’s the last-named who got Sachin’s wicket.] On the past 18 years I thank the Almighty for giving me the opportunities... I’m still learning... Cricket is a sport where you never stop doing so. On whether he has now set sights on turning 21 (Laughs) I’m not looking that much into the future... Today, I’m happy with the way this journey has gone... On the added pressure of being a national icon I’ve never changed as a person... Never changed the way I do things... Obviously, people have liked me for what I am and, so, there hasn’t been reason to change... That people see me as an icon is humbling... I value the respect given to me. The affection too. On whether, with 37 Test hundreds and 41 in ODIs, he still has a goal to achieve I’m enjoying what I’m doing and want to continue things the same way... There’s nothing more... My goal, then, is to enjoy... On whether, having turned down the Test captaincy, he’ll be focusing that much more on batting (Interrupting) Aren’t we just talking of my 18 years? Finally, his message to rookies Go and enjoy yourself without worrying about the result... You’ve been picked because the selectors have seen something in you, have seen you make a mark in domestic cricket... So, carry on in that manner and don’t try to change your game… Look to make a similar impact (in international cricket)… Nothing should matter more than enjoying what you’re doing. That, for me, is the best approach. the tendulkaR FACTFILE

Eighteen years ago, on November 15, Sachin Tendulkar made his Test debut against Pakistan in Karachi. The rest, as they say, is history. Following are the statistical highlights of his career so far: Sachin in Figures Tests — 11150 runs in 140 matches @ 54.93; Not out: 23; Highest: 248*; 100s: 37; 50s: 45; Wkts: 42 ODIs — 15835 runs in 405 matches @ 44.23; Not out: 37; Highest 186*; 100s: 41; 50s: 86; Wkts: 154 Landmarks in Tests dot.gif At 16 years and 205 days, Sachin became India’s youngest Test player and the third youngest overall dot.gif His 140 Test appearances is the most for India and the fourth most overall dot.gif His aggregate of 11150 runs is the most by an Indian and the third best overall dot.gif His batting average of 54.93 is the best among batsmen with over 10000 runs in Tests. dot.gif Sachin boasts of most away Test runs (6233) than any other batsman in Tests dot.gif Has most centuries in Tests (37) dot.gif Sachin also holds the record for his tally of five Test centuries as a teenager dot.gif His 217 against New Zealand at Ahmedabad (1999-00) is the highest by an Indian while leading the side dot.gif Sachin is one of the nine batsmen to register three-figure scores against all nine Test playing nations. He was, in fact, the third to do so Landmarks in ODIs dot.gif Has appeared in most ODIs (405) than any other player dot.gif At 16 years, 238 days, became India’s youngest ODI player and the seventh youngest overall (he was then the second youngest) dot.gif From April 1990 to April 1998, Sachin appeared in 185 ODIs in a row — a record dot.gif His aggregate of 15835 runs is the most by any batsman in ODIs dot.gif Has most centuries in ODIs (41) dot.gif Has most scores in 50s (from 50 to 99) — 86 dot.gif Has most scores in 90s — 15 dot.gif Sachin has missed a three figure score by one run on three occasions — a record dot.gif His unbeaten 186 against New Zealand in Hyderabad in November 1999 is the highest by an Indian in an ODI dot.gif Has made the most runs in a calendar year — 1894 in 1998 dot.gif Sachin has been involved in 83 century-plus partnerships — a record in ODIs