1990-present : your top 10 Spin bowlers (Tests)

Bongosamaj

My top 10 ( 20 for spinners is a bit redundant): 1. Shane Warne 2. Muttiah Muralitharan 3. Anil Kumble 4. Saqlain Mushtaq 5. Mushtaq Ahmed 6. Stuart McGill 7. Harbhajan Singh 8. Daniel Vettori 9. Danish Kaneria 10. Paul Harris
Harris made a huge impression on you by performing in 3 test matches, that you were propelled to leave out Monty Panesar from your top 10 from 90-present list. My top 10 would be more or less same. Except Harris, I'd pick Panesar
Harris made a huge impression on you by performing in 3 test matches, that you were propelled to leave out Monty Panesar from your top 10 from 90-present list.
yeah, monty is there for consideration too- but tough call. Both are newbies, both are promising. But IMO,Harris is slightly ahead- he has a bit more control than Monty and strikes me as more of a thinking bowler. Plus England pitches are way more spin-conductive these days than Saffie pitches.
yeah, monty is there for consideration too- but tough call. Both are newbies, both are promising. But IMO,Harris is slightly ahead- he has a bit more control than Monty and strikes me as more of a thinking bowler. Plus England pitches are way more spin-conductive these days than Saffie pitches.
Panesar picked up 5 wickets in his 1st inn vs Aus in Aus.
Harris did pretty much the same vs India and i consider India to be a tougher opposition than Australia for spinners.
He played 1 game with India and picked up 5 wickets @ an average of 35.
True. But Panesar is a newbie too, so i don't see how the argument that doesn't benifit Harris benifits Panesar. Or maybe you wanna include Panesar because he is of Indian parentage ?!?
Why would i include warne, murali and other non indians in my top 10 list then :flute:
Why would i include warne' date=' murali and other non indians in my top 10 list then :flute:[/quote'] Okay. Fair enough. But i don't get the arguments you are raising re: Harris in your pitch for Monty. Both are newbies. Both are promising bowlers. So if lack of experience/'only 1 match vs XYZ' is a factor for one, it is also a factor for the other.
Okay. Fair enough. But i don't get the arguments you are raising re: Harris in your pitch for Monty. Both are newbies. Both are promising bowlers. So if lack of experience/'only 1 match vs XYZ' is a factor for one, it is also a factor for the other.
Monty is far more experienced than Harris. Monty has performed decently enough, for him to enter my list in place of Harris. Harris might be good, but i cant judge him from his 1 match performance.

Paul Harris' inclusion is absurd. He hasn't even played 10 matches and you already rate him as one of the top 10 spinners of the last 17 years ? If you want to pick some Saffie, why not pick Adams or Boje...they both took wickets in India, in fact the former even had a 6 wicket haul against India back in '96. Boje won SA the Banglaore test in '00 with a 5 wicket haul. This was back in the day when all Indian batsmen, incl. tailenders, would slaughter spinners (not so much the case now). Giles should be there. Sure, he was crap but he won England two series in SL and PAK. Or even Venkatpathy Raju - the guy who made Lara his b*tch.

Warne, Murali and Kumble are the top 3, in that order. Saqlain Mushtaq could have been the best of them all. He was excellent in both forms of the game and I distinctly recall his performance in Chennai, the match in which Sachin scored 136 or something in 2nd innings. Unfortunately his performance depended a lot on the confidence by skipper, Wasim Akram, and once Akram went off the screen so did Saqlain. Still at his best he was better than Murali and thats saying something. xxxx