Umpring and the use of Technology in Cricket : A Discussion

Nice post ravi. Don't agree with this though: If the ball pitches outside the off, the batsman can still be given out if the ball hits the batsman's pads in line with the stumps. If the ball pitches outside off and hits outside off, he can be given only if he's not offering a shot.
Shwetabh after the first sentence I mentioned "Now as for the one that hits the pad when the batsman plays a shot, there are many variables that have to be considered. Firstly the swing, height, angle from which the ball was delivered , whether the ball struck the batsman on the front foot or the back and other variables. Now going by your logic, the umpire can give anything pitching outside the off as there are so many variables involved. I've had my share of umpiring lessons Donny and I only say something when I feel strongly about it." That was meant for the balls that pitch outside the line of the stumps and on the off side. I didn't quite make it clear in my last post.
Shwetabh after the first sentence I mentioned "Now as for the one that hits the pad when the batsman plays a shot, there are many variables that have to be considered. Firstly the swing, height, angle from which the ball was delivered , whether the ball struck the batsman on the front foot or the back and other variables. Now going by your logic, the umpire can give anything pitching outside the off as there are so many variables involved. I've had my share of umpiring lessons Donny and I only say something when I feel strongly about it." That was meant for the balls that pitch outside the line of the stumps and on the off side. I didn't quite make it clear in my last post.
Ah ok gotcha, didn't get the context... And umm.... varun here :cantstop:
Well, Chandan, you mustn't understand the rules either. Ravi wrote: "The law am sure mentions anything that pitches outside the leg is pretty much not out." No pretty much about it. If the ump judges this to be the case, it's not out. No matter what the ball might have done after that. "Now going by your logic, the umpire can give anything pitching outside the off as there are so many variables involved." My logic ? How do you come to that conclusion ?? What I said was: "This, in itself does NOT negate an lbw." in rererence to you saying, ""No way can you not see the ball was pitching way outside the off stump." Ravi, it would help debate if you didn't exaggerate to make a point. As in: "1. Umpires are humans. That gives them license to commit non stop mistakes does it?"
Donny, I've read the LBW laws and they're quite complicated and depend a lot on "what the umpire thought". You are going by that logic that if the "umpire thought " that it was out, it HAS to be out. And we're trying to ascertain here if what the umpire thought was right or not. In Dravid's case the ball pitched wide outside the off-stump and when it hit his pad, the impact was outside off stump as well, and Dravid was offering a shot. At the same time it seemed to be going over the top of off-stump. Yet Taufel "thought" that it was out. Why did he think so? Was it his mistake? Why has this mistake occured so many times in this match? Why do you think that an umpire should not get any flak for their mistakes? Players are also humans. They also can comit a mistake. Then why are the players crufied in media mercilessly why umpires escape it? Why?

Your assumptions are incorrect. Why are you asking me these questions ?: Why did he think so? Was it his mistake? Why has this mistake occured so many times in this match? Where have I said the umpire shouldn't get any flak ? How about you tell me who these players are who get crucified in media mercilessly ? "why do umpires escape it? They don't. Check the topic under this one: DailyMail blames Bucknor for the Draw.

"why do umpires escape it? They don't. Check the topic under this one: DailyMail blames Bucknor for the Draw.
Just one article, whereas if you go to just one site called cricinfo, you'll see the reporters as well as columnists are tearing the experienced Indian batsmen apart!!

All the exaggerations. Just look at your second last post and then read this: Today's Cricinfo headlines: Dravid: We got out of jail Ian Chappell: Match merited a result Shastri: Dhoni saves the day Stats: India's lucky escape SL wrap up series with five-wicket win Jayasuriya stays modest after his 300th | Stats - The unsung allrounder Lara signs up for new Indian league Ottis Gibson takes all 10 for Durham Worcestershire search for new venues Lehmann has faith in new breed of spinners -------------------------------------------------------------------- Not even a mention of "tearing the experienced Indian batsmen apart!!" See what I mean ?

How can you write that with a straight face ? I read the Flabby in the middle article and didn't see what you alluded to. It was Sambit Bal's opinion and one I happen to agree with. What I read was almost the same thing I wrote when I was first invited to this site and also commented on in the Fantastic 4 thread. No batsmen being torn apart. "you'll see the reporters as well as columnists are tearing the experienced Indian batsmen apart!! I didn't see that at all. That's what I mean about exaggerations.

How can you write that with a straight face ? I read the Flabby in the middle article and didn't see what you alluded to. It was Sambit Bal's opinion and one I happen to agree with. What I read was almost the same thing I wrote when I was first invited to this site and also commented on in the Fantastic 4 thread. No batsmen being torn apart. "you'll see the reporters as well as columnists are tearing the experienced Indian batsmen apart!! I didn't see that at all. That's what I mean about exaggerations.
Ok. Thats exaggereration iyo. Now show me even one article/column which has discussed the umpire's shockers here on cricinfo.

Umpring and the use of Technology in Cricket : A Discussion

He gave it out because he thought it was out.
Bush went to war in Iraq because he thought it was the right thing to do. Doesn't make it right though. Apologies for the extreme analogy, but just trying to get a point across that ppl are fallible and make mistakes, but they should be held accountable, or else it just leads to incompetence, arrogance, and corruption (cue Bush and co again)