all time world one day eleven vs. england

observer1

For those of you who follow cricket on Test Match Special, they have put together an all-time England ODI eleven. Led by the incomparable Gooch, with the well-travelled Tresothick as co-opener, they also have AFAIR, Pietersen, Allan Lamb, Robin Smith, Flintoff, Botham, Stewart, Neil Fairbrother, Bob Willis and Derek Underwood. They are selecting an all-time World XI to play this team - the discussion is on Friday. Interesting topic I think (the team selection, and not the match result - England I am sure will win with a bonus point). My first thoughts were Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Richards, Bevan, Klusener, Imran Khan ©, Kapil Dev, Akram, Murali, Garner. Any other elevens?

Re: all time world one day eleven vs. england

Unfair, unfair! Michael Slater Romesh Kaluwitharana Eddo Brandes !
Those 3 alone should be excluded based on the causation of definite nightmares vs england in the past!!! pity we dont have staunch english supporters on this forum..

Re: all time world one day eleven vs. england Agree with most of that, Lurker, with the exception of two names. Pull Miandad from it and throw Martin Crowe in at 4 (and slot Dean Jones in at 5). Crowe was in my book the superior batsman (I'd consider him, Lara and Tendulkar - in reverse order - the three best batsmen of the 1990s), a stellar strokeplayer with a phenomenal head for all situations, the ability to innovate, dash between the wickets and bat without fear and selfishness in the toughest situations. His ODI and test records both do him no justice... partly because of the number of home wickets he played on that were very seamer friendly (particularly in the Hadlee dominated 80s), and then the injuries that blighted him later in his career. With Crowe in, I'd also take the captaincy away from Richards... Crowe was a superb analyst and thinker on the game, and a bold and INCREDIBLY astute skipper who could motivate and inspire a side brilliantly. Only other spot I'd contest would be Garner's. Give me McGrath or Lillee over him... both among the greatest new ball bowlers to have played cricket, and one of them there to definitely partner Kapil. Garner was an amazing bowler, no doubt there - but for all conditions and situations, I'd definitely take the Pigeon over him (and probably Lillee).

Re: all time world one day eleven vs. england imran was not astute.... he was a motivational kind of captain.... for tht kinda captain to perform, he needs a team who share his culture...... he cant go and motivate a Viv.... The england 11 looks very impressive..... boy, they are yet to fill up the void left by Lamb, Stewart and Smith... KP is good, and Collingwood has the potential to fill up Fairbro's shoes....

Re: all time world one day eleven vs. england Salil, Crowe over Miandad is an interesting selection. Having seen both batsmen I would say Miandad was the one who had an edge as a batsman although that should mean no disrespect to Crowe. In my opinion Crowe was one batsman that played Wasim Akram the best. Miandad on the other hand was an innovator and with him and Bevan in middle order one can easily get a scoring rate of 6-8 runs and over without any boundaries. You do make a good point about Crowe being the captain. He was a good thinker as was proven in 1992 WC and I must say Richards was not the best of captain. Inspirational yes but no motivator or strategist. So yeah say bring in Crowe and make him the captain instead of Miandad. As for Garner, I am staying with him. Garner with Akram in death overs should be enough for any team to throw in the white towel. Kapil opens the bowling attack. xxx

Re: all time world one day eleven vs. england

i am surprised you guys dont consider Imran Khan highly. To my eyes' date=' the most astute captain.[/quote'] Observer. If we pick Imran what do we pick him as? As a batsman? Or as a bowler? Or as an all-rounder? Or as a skipper only? Contrary to popular perception Imran hardly dominated the LOI games as an all-rounder. Sure he has impressive numbers but I do not recall any innings of note(except 1992 WC finals, a innings which by the way I do not rate highly). He has good performances as a bowler but when he bowled he could not bat and when he batted he was hardly a bowler. Like the game in which he took 6-14 against India in Sharjah. While batting he scored 0 or something like that. Kapil scored 35 or so in a low scoring game and took 2 wickets. In 1992 WC game against Pakistan it was again a quickfire 30 with couple of wickets. You will find much more games for Kapil where he scored with both bat and ball than Imran. And hence I pick Kapil ahead of Imran. xxxx