Aiming to wrap it up at Eden : Kumble

Guest HariSampath

Guest HariSampath

Aiming to wrap it up at the Eden Importance of teamwork seems to be sinking in and is being taken on board, writes Anil Kumble This is where we want it to end — at the Eden Gardens. It is important that we wrap up the series here, stay focused and stay positive. The last time we played Pakistan in a Kolkata Test, we won, so that’s a good thing to remember. I think the Kotla Test win was an important start in the way we went about the game, playing as a team with every individual contributing his bit. The concept I have been talking about, about the importance of teamwork, seems to be sinking in, and being taken on board. Pace is the ace I had a good game in Delhi and hope to continue from there. Incidentally, it is quite ironical that on a slow wicket, as a spinner, you have to beat the batsmen with pace! When a ball is keeping low and slow, that’s what you try and do, mix the pace and ensure that you try and bowl wicket to wicket. You try and get the batsmen to play across the line, set him up for that leg before dismissal. I’ve been asked if I think differently as a bowler being a captain now but honestly, there’s no mental change. I have always been an attacking bowler and would like to do that for the most, to just try and ensure I get the breakthroughs that will help the team. There’s no major strategy that deviates from the plan of getting runs on board. With Rahul, Sachin, Laxman, Sourav, we have an easy 30,000 plus runs in the middle. That’s really rich in experience and confidence. Creating pressure I’ve always believed that when you have runs on board, it creates pressure. If you manage that in the first innings, the other team will constantly have to play catch up. That’s the strategy, ideally for invariably, the first three days of a Test is when a wicket is at its best. As for the younger players, I would tell them to relax, enjoy their game and not worry about ‘uncontrollables’. I’d tell someone like Dinesh that I’m looking at a list of the top 10 batsmen in 2007 and there are only two Indians in that list — Sachin and Dinesh. That’s what I’d tell him, you’re too good a player to worry about small things. I would also tell the less experienced batsmen that it’s important to recognise key situations. Like when somebody has come in for a fresh spell, it’s important to look at the bowler afresh. Recognise the main threat on that given day. Recognise when you need to take it easy and wait and watch a bit — that’s exactly how Rahul and Sachin build their innings, by also knowing when to back off. Bowling partnerships As for the pacemen, it’s important to recognise that in India you don’t get much help from the pitch. You have to build the pressure through bowling partnerships. I thought, for instance, that Munaf bowled exceptionally well in Kotla, but maybe in the second innings, he wanted a wicket off every ball and tried a bit too hard. Often, in a five-day game, patience makes all the difference. — Hawkeye/Chivach Sport © Copyright 2000 - 2007 The Hindu

As for the younger players, I would tell them to relax, enjoy their game and not worry about ‘uncontrollables’. I’d tell someone like Dinesh that I’m looking at a list of the top 10 batsmen in 2007 and there are only two Indians in that list — Sachin and Dinesh.
Hmm.. Sachin?? I don't think Sachin has made more runs than Ganguly this year. But I'm glad that Kumble is not putting pressure on the youngster who failed in the previous match! I just hope that in aiming to wrap it up at Kolkata we don't lose the game here or else the series will simply slip out of our hands because I don't think we'll win at Bangalore!