The Great History Of Paki Cricket - What LEGENDS!

Chaos

Re: The Great History Of Paki Cricket - What LEGENDS!

Imran's record as a captain 48 matches 187 wickets at an average of 20...as a batsman he averaged over 52!
Great stats, but they don't tell the whole story. Imran wasn't a consistent performer with bat AND ball. He was a very good bowler and a below average batsman in the first half of his career, and then went on to become a better batsman in the latter half.

Imran's record as a captain 48 matches 187 wickets at an average of 20...as a batsman he averaged over 52!
Great stats, but they don't tell the whole story. Imran wasn't a consistent performer with bat AND ball. He was a very good bowler and a below average batsman in the first half of his career, and then went on to become a better batsman in the latter half.
He actually started of as a number 11 batsman but in the 2nd half of his career he was as consistent a batsman as any! From the bowling POV he was simply unplayable from 1982 to 1988...i think during this period he averaged something like 16 with the ball!

He actually started of as a number 11 batsman but in the 2nd half of his career he was as consistent a batsman as any! From the bowling POV he was simply unplayable from 1982 to 1988...i think during this period he averaged something like 16 with the ball!
Simply unplayable I am not sure but yes Imran was certainly one of the great bowlers of 80's and in that period his bowling was as good as that by any bowler of same era. He was not a good batsman at this point and indeed his batting flourished when he practically hung his boots and took his position as a batsman. Coming back to the post about Pakistan having a great cricket history that is indeed true. One aspect where Pakistan differs with all other countries(excluding England and Australia) is that it recorded its first win very soon. Pakistan won its first test in its very first series. Something I beleive neither India nor NZ nor South Africa nor West Indies achieved. In fact Pakistan would have won test matches against most countries earlier than India did(I may be wrong here but I have a strong feeling I am not). The reason behind this wonderful start was two-fold - 1) Pakistani players had an experience of International cricket since some of them played for India. The first great character for Pakistan cricket AF Kardar had represented India and he knew more than a thing or two about cricket. He was a great leader and comanded good respect. In fact he is the only person whom Imran Khan was ever afraid of(later on when Kardar was Administrator). This was different from say Indian team that had to find its feet in International arena. 2) Good bowling combination. Fazal Mehmood is an all-time great, specially on matting wickets he was unplayable. Most of the time when Pakistan won it was on the back of Fazal Mehmood. But fans often forget his support act. Khan Mohammed. A much lesser known player but his stats are as good if not better than Fazal Mehmood. Pakistan has a great team in the 70's and 80's. Even their worst opening bowler, Sarfaraz Nawaz, had a better record than Indian bowling attack of Madan Lal, Binny, Chetan Sharma put together. Throw in Abdul Qadir, Iqbal Qaim and of course Imran and you can see why Pakistan was a formidable team. India alas depended hugely on spinners or Kapil dev and hence did not perhaps achieve as much as the fans would have liked. Batting was always great though. xxxxx

you forgot about the unparalleled role played by home umpires in making Pakistan a great team in 70s and 80s.
You forgot that Pakistan in the only team to draw a series in West Indies when the latter were at their peak. Indeed the series could have gone in Pakistan's favour. Think of how proud Indians were, quiet rightly so, when India drew with Australia in Australia. Now think of Pakistan's performance in the same light. Yes Pakistan's umpire were notorious as witnessed by the fact that Miandad was never declared lbw there but they were still a very formidable side. xxx

Simply unplayable I am not sure but yes Imran was certainly one of the great bowlers of 80's and in that period his bowling was as good as that by any bowler of same era. He was not a good batsman at this point and indeed his batting flourished when he practically hung his boots and took his position as a batsman.
In the period that i mentioned (1982 to 1988) he took close to 200 wickets at an average of 17...quite incredible i would say! During the same period he scored over 1500 runs at an average of 43.
Coming back to the post about Pakistan having a great cricket history that is indeed true. One aspect where Pakistan differs with all other countries(excluding England and Australia) is that it recorded its first win very soon. Pakistan won its first test in its very first series. Something I beleive neither India nor NZ nor South Africa nor West Indies achieved. In fact Pakistan would have won test matches against most countries earlier than India did(I may be wrong here but I have a strong feeling I am not). The reason behind this wonderful start was two-fold - 1) Pakistani players had an experience of International cricket since some of them played for India. The first great character for Pakistan cricket AF Kardar had represented India and he knew more than a thing or two about cricket. He was a great leader and comanded good respect. In fact he is the only person whom Imran Khan was ever afraid of(later on when Kardar was Administrator). This was different from say Indian team that had to find its feet in International arena.
Yea A Kardar's experience was very important in Pakistan's development and along with Imran Khan he is considered the best Pakistani captain.
2) Good bowling combination. Fazal Mehmood is an all-time great, specially on matting wickets he was unplayable. Most of the time when Pakistan won it was on the back of Fazal Mehmood. But fans often forget his support act. Khan Mohammed. A much lesser known player but his stats are as good if not better than Fazal Mehmood. Pakistan has a great team in the 70's and 80's. Even their worst opening bowler, Sarfaraz Nawaz, had a better record than Indian bowling attack of Madan Lal, Binny, Chetan Sharma put together. Throw in Abdul Qadir, Iqbal Qaim and of course Imran and you can see why Pakistan was a formidable team. India alas depended hugely on spinners or Kapil dev and hence did not perhaps achieve as much as the fans would have liked. Batting was always great though. xxxxx
I concur...you can judge the importance of fast bowlers by looking at Pakistan's performance in the 1960s...it's quite evident that the retirement of both K Mohammed and Fazal Mahmood hit PAK quite hard and caused a n obvious in the team performance. I feel the only reason an average fan doesn't know about K Mohammed is because he was only able to play 13 test matches and ended his career with a horrible performance against the WI while Fazal on the other hand played 34 test matches and was a main part of Pakistan's win at the oval in 1954(arguably PAK's greatest test victory ever).

Re: The Great History Of Paki Cricket - What LEGENDS! more than just Miandad lbws..it was 11 v 13 players with the last 2 gents often playing a 'decisive' :chin: role. I think Gavaskar mentioned an interesting story about about Imran bowling with his foot landing 'comfortably' out of the crease, and also getting away with it :doh: even after the umpire was made aware of what was happening. The explaination - Imran is wearing large size shoes which just give the impression that the foot is landing outside the crease :help: :shrug:

The explaination - Imran is wearing large size shoes which just give the impression that the foot is landing outside the crease
:hic: BTW did you guys know the bowlers were allowed to cross the bowling crease as long as your back foot wasn't ahead of the bowling crease?

more than just Miandad lbws..it was 11 v 13 players with the last 2 gents often playing a 'decisive' :chin: role. I think Gavaskar mentioned an interesting story about about Imran bowling with his foot landing 'comfortably' out of the crease, and also getting away with it :doh: even after the umpire was made aware of what was happening. The explaination - Imran is wearing large size shoes which just give the impression that the foot is landing outside the crease :help: :shrug:
yea and i guess that the same umpire must have accompanied him on the away tours too where he took 88 wickets at an average of 21. waisay at this point why don't you also mention the story about the Barbados test match in 1988 where the W Indian umpire admitted that had he given the decisions in PAK's favor his house would have been destroyed by the locals!

Re: The Great History Of Paki Cricket - What LEGENDS! Mouni, I think you need to concentrate on your own posts (and I must say I don't enjoy reading them at all), and leave others like Silentstriker alone. Whatever team his affiliation is with, he is not abusive and has already contributed a lot of good posts to this place. I'd urge you to follow the forum etiquette and not be obnoxious.

Re: The Great History Of Paki Cricket - What LEGENDS! The thing about Imran is that in his last 50 tests, he averaged over 50 with the bat, and 20 with the ball. Along with Ian Botham pre-1982, he represents the peak of what any all rounder was able to achieve. Sobers was better, due to his magnificent batting, as well as his wrist spinn, fast medium pace bowling, and his left arm orthodox bowling....and his ability to be peerless in the field, but in terms of peaks, Imran and Botham had fantastic ones.