The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back.

gator

Re: The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back.

man' date=' dravid laid the foundation, really useless comment this.[/quote'] we could have crossed 400, if DRavid had come in at 5 and we managed to score 30 more runs in the powerplay... Sachin at 3 would have paralysed them.... atleast Yuvi should have been given a go....
***bla bla bla**
thts how all ur posts go...

It was a good inning dude' date=' may be a bit faster would've been great, but a fine enough knock as the anchor.[/quote'] no need to get defensive.... u can check his average and SR batting at number 5 or 3....

Re: The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back. Sure it can but you just take it at what transformed. As I said the inning was just rightly paced with everyone doing their job perfectly. I suppose on a different day Rahul may bat lot better than he did today. Still in the context of the game a good enough knock. That said I still reckon Rahul should be pretty flexible in the batting order.

Re: The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back. Totally agree with gator. Dravid should never bat in the top order. Then again - it's not about how you start an innings; what matters is how you finish it. India scored 140 off their last 15 overs, which practically ensured a total in excess of 300. Late order flourishes like that win matches in ODI's. A total of 341 ? I got no complaints. India's weakness has always been their inability to capitalize on good starts.

Re: The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back. Dravid has been the best batsman in the Indian team since 2000. It is ridiculous to accuse him of batting too slow. He does something that no one in the Indian team does, and definitely no one in the Indian top six: put price on his wicket. Border was the greatest at doing it, and Dravid comes close. Putting price on your wicket is not a bad thing, its the way you're supposed to bat. If you lash out at anything and everything more than six inches outside off stump, some days you'll score big if you're playing on tracks like these, but when you play in foreign countries (like WI world cup), and the ball is moving, that same exact shot off that same exact delivery will cause you to edge the ball to slip or the keeper. It is ridiculous to blame someone when he says, "I am going to make you work to get me out." Tendulkar was infinitely more talented than Dravid, and in then nineties he also put a price on his wicket, but he had a tendency to nibble at certain deliveries, and with Dravid's temperament and Tendulkar's talent, he could have averaged 65+.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back. Gator has a point this 120 runs coming of last 10 overs doesn't materialize everyday..... Dhoni for all hsi heroics someday can hole out in depe on very first ball and what will ud o that day happens to be world cup final...Point is why create a problem then expect batsmen coming down the line to fix it.... Dravid is very well capable to score at faster clip . I think last match's fiasco was playing on his mind... So how many of u want Karthik in place of dhoni sach sach batana dil pe hath rakh ke..

Gator has a point this 120 runs coming of last 10 overs doesn't materialize everyday..... ...
It can happen every other match if India maintains a balanced batting lineup with their top scorers at #1, #2, and #3, their run accumulators in the middle and the destroyers lower down the order. Pakistan had a very long batting lineup back in the late 90's when they regularly scaled 100 in the slog overs...could take a leaf out of their book on this occasion.

man.... it is painful to watch dravid walk out at 3 and ruin all the momentum on a flat deck....
Gator, India's batting order is shuffled according to the situation. If India lose the first wicket within 5 overs then someone who can hit over the fielders come out otherwise Dravid or Yuvaraj comes out to add stability, Dravid is the only person available in the team who can carry the innings. We need to find alternative for him in either Yuvaraj/Raina/Kaif when he retires. But I dont think Dravid bats like a tortoise of 80's (Ravi Shastri)...

Re: The tortoise Dravid of 90s is back. it is very simple point.... unless u are 3 wkts down, u have to go slam bang in the powerplays.... RD does it well in the slog.... but has been proven to be not as effective in the powerplays..... i dont understand y some of u are harping on consolidation when we were 50/1 in 8 overs with 12 powerplay overs to go..... the days tht ur slogs dont come off, u will understand those invaluable 20 overs when the fielders were inside the circle.....