Aussie handed debut after bizarre incident

Feed

Luke Pomersbach was in the stadium as a spectator when he received a call from the Australian cricket management asking him to make his debut against New Zealand... More... A boozy night provided an unexpected dividend for Luke Pomersbach when he was called up to make his international debut for Australia in Tuesday's Twenty20 match against New Zealand at the WACA in Perth. The 23-year-old is currently banned from playing in the Australian domestic first-class competition after breaching his team's strict rules on late-night drinking, but the suspension proved a blessing in disguise. While his Western Australian team mates were preparing for their next match, Pomersbach decided to fill in his spare time by watching Tuesday's Twenty20 international from the ground. But when he arrived at the WACA with his girlfriend, he received a surprise call from the Australian team management asking him if he could play because middle-order batsman Brad ***** had suffered a bizarre back injury in the changing room. "The Australian manager rang me just as I was parking my car, and I thought it was one of my mates having a joke," Pomersbach told reporters. "I asked him whether he was joking, and he said 'no mate get yourself to the rooms as quick as you can'." Pomersbach made his way to the dressing room to meet his illustrious team mates then made another big impression when he got the chance to play, scoring a brisk 15 off seven balls, including a six and a four, before falling in the last over of Australia's innings.