Aryabhatt from Kerala or Bihar: Claim war is on

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

First round A prof from IISc claims Aryabhatt was from kerala In second round some professor in Canada claims Arybhataa was from Bihar not kerala http://bihartimes.com/news07/Dec/8dec4.html Here is the third round match. http://bihartimes.com/news07/Dec/controversy.html Who the heck cares where he was from . I don't as long as someone from Arabia or USA doesn't stake claim it's fine.

ISRO named their first satellite as "Aryabhata" to honour this great Indian.

Who the heck cares where he was from . I don't as long as someone from Arabia or USA doesn't stake claim it's fine.
Exactly......such kind of news coverage in media is counter productive as it furthers regional sentiments.

Guest dada_rocks
ISRO named their first satellite as "Aryabhata" to honour this great Indian. Exactly......such kind of news coverage in media is counter productive as it furthers regional sentiments.
U are right I hereby request Moderators to delte this thread please . why give voice to this kind of divisive talk..

Who the heck cares where he was from . I don't as long as someone from Arabia or USA doesn't stake claim it's fine.
I do. :D Arre bhai Aryabhatta is one of the greatest sons of India. We routinely invoke him to suggest how great our ancient civilization was. So isnt it disappointing that we have not done further research to even know where he was born? This is one of those areas where I have sympathies with BJP. They try to do more on subjects like Aryabhatta and Vedic Mathematics, but they somehow end up making this part of Hindu "respect". There is no need to make this a political issue, lets give the due respect to one of our greatest sons. But atleast BJP talks about it baaki sab to.... xxx

Guest dada_rocks

I wish u had ever gone to RSS they never even talk about hindutva yes predominantly hindus join that group s culture is dominant but it's always none-stop rashtra-nirman. Mind u this is the organization which at the thick of its governmental vilification volunteered in 62 war when demand came while the other nationa-builders like communazis were raising funds for chinese .. One of that clowns these days Mani Aiyar is prominent congress leader..even RSS's staunch critic like Nehru had to change his opinion.. Anyway talking on Aryabhatt I say focus on his work why open this pandora's box of where he was from most probabaly he was born in kerala and did his tudies and research work in Pataliputra and it sounds paluaisble too because that region was sheet of education in those days..

does it matter where he is from? everything he stood for is long lost. we do not have any appreciation for the natural sciences. every tom dick and harry is into information technology. avant garde research is done at less places than you can count on one hand... we award only about a hundred doctrate of philosophies a year and our manufacturing sector is more consumer product oriented rather than innovative. pour the money into the IISCs and the Presidency Colleges and the other institutions of research rather than fund some ineffective "poverty reduction" program or buying stupid **** from israel.

I wish u had even gone to RSS they never even talk about hindutva yes predominantly hindus join that group s culture is dominant but it's always none-stop rashtra-nirman. Mind u this is the organization which at the thick of its governmental vilification volunteered in 62 war when demand came while the other nationa-builders like communazis were raising funds for chinese .. One of that clowns these days Mani Aiyar is prominent congress leader..even RSS's staunch critic like Nehru had to change his opinion.. Anyway talking on Aryabhatt I say focus on his work why open this pandora's box of where he was from most probabaly he was born in kerala and did his tudies and research work in Pataliputra and it sounds paluaisble too because that region was sheet of education in those days..
i have seen quite a bit of bullshit about the RSS spewed here and elsewhere. it is a rather well organized institutions and i doubt it needs you to defend itself. i recommend avoiding the detractors who fall victim to stereotyping an institution from the singular incidents they hear about.

does it matter where he is from? everything he stood for is long lost. we do not have any appreciation for the natural sciences. every tom dick and harry is into information technology. avant garde research is done at less places than you can count on one hand... we award only about a hundred doctrate of philosophies a year and our manufacturing sector is more consumer product oriented rather than innovative. pour the money into the IISCs and the Presidency Colleges and the other institutions of research rather than fund some ineffective "poverty reduction" program or buying stupid **** from israel.
This is what saddens me about Indian culture. Before it was, 'son, you're going to be a Doctor or an Engineer' now it's, 'son, you're going into IT'. As for the daughters, 'get a masters so you can increase your marriage prospects'.

does it matter where he is from? everything he stood for is long lost. we do not have any appreciation for the natural sciences. every tom dick and harry is into information technology. avant garde research is done at less places than you can count on one hand... we award only about a hundred doctrate of philosophies a year and our manufacturing sector is more consumer product oriented rather than innovative.
Excellent post there THX. Yes it is quite true that Aryabhatta, and everything he stood for, is long lost for an average Indians. It is shameful that most of us have been involved in chest-thumping about how great ancient Indian civilization was, invoke Aryabhatta and Vrahamihira, but have never even bothered to read his treatises. You are also very correct that our obsession with IT is getting out of hand. This is true not only for people but also states. Seems like every other state of India thinks the only ticket to prosperity is IT. Clearly it is a stupid notion. Related to this is the fact that other streams suffer. Every other subject out there - history to philosphy, arts to pscychology has taken a back seat to Science stream today. Not sure if Aryabhatta would be proud of any of these. xxx

This is what saddens me about Indian culture. Before it was' date=' 'son, you're going to be a Doctor or an Engineer' now it's, 'son, you're going into IT'. As for the daughters, 'get a masters so you can increase your marriage prospects'.[/quote'] get this: three of my collegues (well seniors actually) just aquired their PhDs in the past year and a half. Two of them are IIT (one is from Bombay the other from Kharagpur) alumni. One received his PhD in Environmental Engineering and the other in Chemical Engineering. The third just his PhD in Computer Science. All three attended a seminar held here recently when the director of the IITs in india visited our university. All three expressed a desire in contributing as research and teaching faculty at the IITs and guess what they were told: "We need you, we need you desperately as the number of teachers is declining steadily. However, the best we can offer you is about Rs. 15,000 per month". Juxtaposition that with what a bottom of the class graduate can make as a call center employee. There is however some saving grace to this story. The IIT Kharagpur and Chemical Engineering graduate let his ideals guide him and took up the position and is now teaching for over a year. It is unfortunate that we are not increasing pay scales of the people who will fashion our future over pointless defense acquisitions that are quite banal and just as frivilious in this new age where wars are fought with economics and not bullets.

Excellent post there THX. Yes it is quite true that Aryabhatta, and everything he stood for, is long lost for an average Indians. It is shameful that most of us have been involved in chest-thumping about how great ancient Indian civilization was, invoke Aryabhatta and Vrahamihira, but have never even bothered to read his treatises. You are also very correct that our obsession with IT is getting out of hand. This is true not only for people but also states. Seems like every other state of India thinks the only ticket to prosperity is IT. Clearly it is a stupid notion. Related to this is the fact that other streams suffer. Every other subject out there - history to philosphy, arts to pscychology has taken a back seat to Science stream today. Not sure if Aryabhatta would be proud of any of these. xxx
True... I dont mind states attempting to inspire IT industries in their states, especially states such as Orissa and Kerela who have no signficant industry (and yet are slow on the ball here), but in the end, the additional tax revenue must not be redirected towards the IT industry, but used to make universities. Research Universities. He who has science today, will have the world tomorrow! I cannot stress this more vehemently... science, mathematics and engineering is what will fashion the world's harbringers.