Thoughts about Sachin

CC1981

Ever since the Pakistan series, he's turned around a long recent history of failure in test cricket, where he failed to average above 40 against any opposition but the minnows for 7 or 8 outta 9 previous series. But since Pakistan, he's a lot more sure of his strokeplay and doesn't dwell on a few edges & missed swishes. Now, as Tendulkar's fan and a honest critic, let us consider what Tendulkar has achieved so far in his career: His runs tally sits at almost 16,000 runs in ODIs at 44+ average and 11520 runs @ 55+ in test cricket. Suffice to say, both records are exceptional but his one-day record is particularly mindboggling. Suffice to say, even if he retires from ODIs tomorrow, nobody playing is likely to cross his figures- runs or centuries or both. But in test cricket, Tendulkar still perhaps has to achieve a little bit more to truely end up with the tag of 'Best since Bradman' on statistics as well as peer-review. For eg, after 232 innings ( same # as Tendy has played so far, most recent innings included), Lara has 400 runs more than him, Ponting is sniffing at his heels with 9500+ runs at 58+ average and Dravid, despite his fallow run of late, is still sitting pretty at 9700+ runs at 55+. Now, lets look at India's upcomming schedule for 2008- we play 2 more tests vs Australia(1 already under progress this year), then in march there is a 3 test series comming up vs South Africa. In May, India plays 2 tests vs Zimbabwe (which may be called off due to political reasons but lets not assume at this juncture and say it will go ahead). In July, India visits Sri Lanka for 3 tests, In October, Australia shows up for 4 tests, in November England shows up for 3 more tests and in December, India plays 1-3 tests vs Pakistan (depending on if Tests are played first or ODIs in that series). So alltogether, In the next 12 months, India has 18-20 Tests comming up! India also might play between 20-30 ODIs in this period. Suffice to say, this is overkill and no player, even at his physical prime, can really be expected to play all of 20 tests and 30 ODIs in 12 months. Tendulkar, especially, has question marks over his fitness and endurance, given his spate of injuries in the last 2-3 years. Now, my suggestion to Sachin, is to put Test cricket ahead of ODIs for this year- he is batting very well in Tests and if he manages to play even 15-16 of the 18-20 tests that is scheduled for this year, he has a good chance of ending up near 13000 runs before the year is over. That will, once and for all, put his runs tally beyond Ponting or Dravid's reach and we fans might just get our dream of seeing Tendy crack 50 100s in both forms of the game. I am not suggesting he retires from ODIs- i think the way he is batting, he still has a good 2-3 years in both form of the game. But with the ridiculously packed schedule in the upcomming 12 months, Tendy would do well to pick and choose the ODIs and concentrate just on Tests. This kind of an opportunity does not present itself very often, where India plays 12+ tests in a calendar year, much less near-20. One good year from Tendy in this form of the game is all it takes for him to seal his place in Tests once and forever as the greatest batsman of the last 50 years. On the other hand, if Tendulkar gets injured playing too much cricket (read: tries to play each and every ODIs and Tests), it might just be the end of Tendulkar or much more diminished returns.

Good thoughts CC. SRT already has enuff records in both forms of the game. That should not be his priority. He must, for the rest of his career, focus on the kinda legacy he wants to leave. In Tests, he must look to do what he did not have an opportunity to do in the 90s, when we had poor bowling attacks. He must look to fill the role of a Dravid (who is on the wane) and help us win overseas test matches. Thats what Tendulkar is often criticised about and if i were him, thats the void i'd be looking to fill. In ODIs, he should cut down on the masala games & focus on the big tourneys. It wont matter even if he retires, as his test career is far more important.

No, i dont think Sachin has anything left to prove either. What i meant is, ram home the issue- for example, his average is lower than Ponting, Dravid & Kallis's and Ponting is still ahead in most counts ( centuries, average and runs i think) after similar # of innings. Yes, i agree Sachin is better than Ponting but why even bother getting into the 'ponting cant score in India, hasnt faced McWarne etc etc' type of analysis when Sachin can rest ALL comparisons once and for all by concentrating in tests, having a very good year and scoring a plethora of runs this year ? IF he has a very successful Test year in 2008, Sachin's chances of finishing with more runs and tons or the highest average of his generation is pretty much a garantee- if Sachin misses a lot of action in 2008 or doesn't do well because of too much cricket, Ponting might just get past him in runs & centuries count (he already has a superior average)- remember, Ponting is only 2000-odd runs behind and 4-5 centuries behind. Ponting is also a lot fitter than Tendy, i expect him to play till 2011 or 2012. And given how Aussies play a lot more test cricket on average than India and how Ponting gets a very good set-up most of the time due to their amazing opening combo, i think Ponting is still a threat to Tendy's overall figures in tests.

No' date=' i dont think Sachin has anything left to prove either. What i meant is, ram home the issue- for example, his average is lower than Ponting, Dravid & Kallis's and Ponting is still ahead in most counts ( centuries, average and runs i think) after similar # of innings. Yes, i agree Sachin is better than Ponting but why even bother getting into the 'ponting cant score in India, hasnt faced McWarne etc etc' type of analysis when Sachin can rest ALL comparisons once and for all by concentrating in tests, having a very good year and scoring a plethora of runs this year ? IF he has a very successful Test year in 2008, Sachin's chances of finishing with more runs and tons or the highest average of his generation is pretty much a garantee- if Sachin misses a lot of action in 2008 or doesn't do well because of too much cricket, Ponting might just get past him in runs & centuries count (he already has a superior average)- remember, Ponting is only 2000-odd runs behind and 4-5 centuries behind. Ponting is also a lot fitter than Tendy, i expect him to play till 2011 or 2012. And given how Aussies play a lot more test cricket on average than India and how Ponting gets a very good set-up most of the time due to their amazing opening combo, i think Ponting is still a threat to Tendy's overall figures in tests.[/quote'] Agree. But seriously Ponting will be considered better than SRT or Lara for that matter only by people blinded by numbers even if he overtakes SRT in 100s and runs. SRT must be very selective for ODIs, there is no other way to prolong his test career.
No' date=' i dont think Sachin has anything left to prove either. What i meant is, ram home the issue- for example, his average is lower than Ponting, Dravid & Kallis's and Ponting is still ahead in most counts ( centuries, average and runs i think) after similar # of innings. Yes, i agree Sachin is better than Ponting but why even bother getting into the 'ponting cant score in India, hasnt faced McWarne etc etc' type of analysis when Sachin can rest ALL comparisons once and for all by concentrating in tests, having a very good year and scoring a plethora of runs this year ? IF he has a very successful Test year in 2008, Sachin's chances of finishing with more runs and tons or the highest average of his generation is pretty much a garantee- if Sachin misses a lot of action in 2008 or doesn't do well because of too much cricket, Ponting might just get past him in runs & centuries count (he already has a superior average)- remember, Ponting is only 2000-odd runs behind and 4-5 centuries behind. Ponting is also a lot fitter than Tendy, i expect him to play till 2011 or 2012. And given how Aussies play a lot more test cricket on average than India and how Ponting gets a very good set-up most of the time due to their amazing opening combo, i think Ponting is still a threat to Tendy's overall figures in tests.[/quote'] SRT can finish with an average of 60 with 50 centuries. But i'd rate his career far more highly, if he helps us win a test series/match in places like Aus, SA, even if it meant averaging 50 with 40 100s. Thats the kinda performances people will remember great players for. Averages & 100s are for the short term, some one or the other will get past these numbers sooner or later.

As I have posted earlier on his recent form, I think we are watching a more determined Sachin Tendulkar now, than at any other point of time in the last 3 years. he is now doing his best to help the team win by playing percentage cricket shots.he may be slower than when he was in the 1995-2000 period, but certainly much more steady. It is a very welcome change in his confidence and a very conscious effort to prove his detractors wrong. But I feel that he should be allowed to pick and choose his games, rather than moving out of the One day format altogether.Dont forget that playing regularly will ensure the continuity of form.the more he plays, the more runs he scores, his confidence will remain high. But on a different note, Jacques Kallis would overtake both Ponting and Sachin's records , before he retires IMHO.

As I have posted earlier on his recent form, I think we are watching a more determined Sachin Tendulkar now, than at any other point of time in the last 3 years. he is now doing his best to help the team win by playing percentage cricket shots.he may be slower than when he was in the 1995-2000 period, but certainly much more steady. It is a very welcome change in his confidence and a very conscious effort to prove his detractors wrong. But I feel that he should be allowed to pick and choose his games, rather than moving out of the One day format altogether.Dont forget that playing regularly will ensure the continuity of form.the more he plays, the more runs he scores, his confidence will remain high. But on a different note, Jacques Kallis would overtake both Ponting and Sachin's records , before he retires IMHO.
Yeah well, Kallis has been called a selfish cricketer many a time, hence his high average.