[MERGED] Sledging threads: Symonds/Harbhajan/etc

Rajan

Guest dada_rocks

MIke procter why wud he get bad hand he was on the right side of that racial divide.. Go read an article on outlook where an author rightly says it's like a rich man cliaming I know how livign in slum feels just because there is a slum near his mansion..

wow, slowly, we are having many past players, including even Aussies, voice their opinions on this present Aus team. Aus is like the US of world cricket. It bullies all others, has ridiculous double standards and like how the US takes pride in spreading democracy all over the world but doing everything but that, Ponting wants his team to " be loved by everyone". :haha:

The series is gone, I'd rather see the Indians do the below to get on their nerves: 1) Tell Ponting that the fair play agreement is still on & claim a few bump catches. If necessary drop easy catches, dive around the ball & claim them & ask the batsman to walk. 2) When you are out, stand your ground, even if the Aussies claim a catch, dont walk. Tell the umpires to call the third umpire. 3) Smile & greet symonds as gorilla, monkey & all that repeatedly. Now that there is too much pressure to keep it all within the field, Aussies will likely not report. However the moment symonds utters anything, report him to the umpires (do so after the game's over) 4) After all this, give speeches at the end of the game and gamesmanship, spirit & integrity. If an Aussie journo questions Jumbo, ask him to leave the room. 5) Give out PC interviews on how things even out et al. 6) Never forget to remind the Aussies, its afterall a game, if they ever whine about all this

ignoring the troll ... dont you think this is damning as it gets on both counts - especially the Monkey part ... as it comes from a West Indian player ?
To be honest, Personally, i can give a racist connotation to the monkey term. Calling someone as a monkey may subtly suggest that he has never evolved into a full human, which in turn means you accuse his ancestors to be not proper humans too. But i doubt if ordinary Indians are sophisticated enough to understand such not-so-clear interpretations. Lets all be honest here, Symmonds was called a monkey because of his appearance and he looks the way he looks, because he is black.

Is calling Symmo "monkey" racist ? May be. Is it offensive ? Most definitely, thats the whole point of such taunts -- to get on people's nerves. Is running to mommy & papa, having copped a bit of what you routinely dish out, worthy of a man ? Absolutely not! And this, without even being sure of what Bhajji said. I vividly recall so many Aussies (including the late Hookes) defend Darren Lehman vehemently, after his UNPROVOKED racist outburst, which was CLEARLY CAUGHT ON CAMERA. Hypocrisy, anyone ?

"Bandar ki tarah kyon harkate karta hai" (Why do u act like a monkey) is a very common indian admonishment ... never heard of anyone take it as a racialy abuse. All this nautanki appears to be a well scripted drama from Symonds and the aussies to act extra precious and open up a new front towards gaining mileage thru shady stuff.
The Devil is in the detail BB. Have you EVER seen a grown-up man Taunted as a monkey in India ? I havent. "Bandar ki tarah kyon harkate karta hai" is used mostly for kids, referring to their naughty behavior. But if you call a grown-up man a monkey and shout monkey chants at him, it means an entirely different thing. Its like saying to him - " You arent proper human yet".
yeah but it still wont be termed racist ... and how one takes it is subject to the context and situation ..... and on a cricket field in response to banter ... no way ... remember the Javed miandad - Kiran More incident at WC-92 ?
Miandad wasnt imitating a monkey, he was merely play-acting More appealing style, only it was VERY exaggerated. And, I am not talking about on-field banter, i was referring to Ind spectators making monkey chants and actions at Symmonds. That definitely is racist.
The Devil is in the detail BB. Have you EVER seen a grown-up man Taunted as a monkey in India ? I havent. "Bandar ki tarah kyon harkate karta hai" is used mostly for kids, referring to their naughty behavior. But if you call a grown-up man a monkey and shout monkey chants at him, it means an entirely different thing. Its like saying to him - " You arent proper human yet".
1) Bhajji did not utter that word 2) Even if he did, there is no evidence of it 3) Even if he did, he was provoked Go call a grown up man, a farking homo, in India and you'd be pretty pleased if all you cop in return is the word monkey.
1) Bhajji did not utter that word 2) Even if he did, there is no evidence of it 3) Even if he did, he was provoked Go call a grown up man, a farking homo, in India and you'd be pretty pleased if all you cop in return is the word monkey.
Bumps, if you look at my previous post, I wasnt actually referring to Bhajji saying anything about Symmonds coz as you said, there isnt proof. But the Ind spectators' action was definitely racist. And as you said, what may be a common abuse term in Aus, may be VERY offensive to someone else. If you yell " Are you Gay ? " at a New Yorker, he will probably swear back at you, but if you yell the same thing at a Mormon living in Utah, he may even dial 911.
Not really .. and atleast not according to everybody or not automatically ..... confirmed by Holdings statement. If he had been called a Nigger then that would be racist.
That is where you are mistaken BB. You think the term " monkey" is a black specific term. No, its not. Even if monkey chants were raised at visiting S.African players or for that matter Bangladeshis, that will still be racist. P.S- Sincere apologies to anyone if i have hurt any sensibilites
Miandad wasnt imitating a monkey, he was merely play-acting More appealing style, only it was VERY exaggerated. And, I am not talking about on-field banter, i was referring to Ind spectators making monkey chants and actions at Symmonds. That definitely is racist.
MM, I want to ask a serious question: Even if a few fools in India did the monkey chant, how did Symonds know that it was directed to him? Was his name taken? If not, isn't this a meaningless allegation in which the person concerned is only showing his own insecurities?