[MERGED] Sledging threads: Symonds/Harbhajan/etc

Rajan

Sourav Ganguly leads bad-boy race with 12 call-ups from the Herald Sun Peter Badel January 13, 2008 12:00am THEY have protested their innocence throughout the racism saga, but besieged India is the worst behaved team in world cricket - according to official ICC data. As the tourists persist with threats to abort their tour, official ICC data shows the Indians have faced more sanctions than any Test-playing rival over the past 10 years. Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly is the game's undisputed problem child, being hauled over the coals by the governing body a record 12 times. Overall, Indian players have been charged for 43 infringements since 1997 for offences including intimidating umpires, abusing rival players, ball tampering, time wasting and dissent. Of the touring party, five Indians have copped fines or suspensions -- Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh. The rap sheet is damning evidence the Indians are anything but choirboys as they continue to vehemently deny spinner Harbhajan is guilty of racially abusing Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds. Despite the raft of indiscretions, Indian cricket board vice-president Lalit Modi said the sub-continent powerhouse did not have an attitude problem. "Sometimes you see sides carry on when the stakes are high, but we are not one of them," Modi said from India. "I am sure there have been incidents with the Indian team in the past, but in the two years I have been on the board, I have not seen such behaviour problems with our team. "I am not privy to the facts you have. We have not done such research, but our boys are generally well behaved. "Most of our players are very good. In the past, there was some incidents involving Ganguly, but he has not had an issue for some time. "If our players are fined or reprimanded, what is it for? Sometimes it can be wasting time or misconduct towards umpires. Not every offence is serious." Analysis of the ICC's code of conduct breaches over the past decade show: ONLY Pakistan came close to India's ill-discipline with 39 offences, led by retired batsman Inzamam-ul-Haq, who was hauled up 11 times. DESPITE claims they have worse conduct issues than India, Australia is ranked fourth with 25 infringements. Glenn McGrath (six), Ricky Ponting (four), Adam Gilchrist (four) and Brett Lee (three) are the serial offenders. HARBHAJAN has a history of poor conduct. The first of his five offences came in 1998, when he was fined 50 per cent of his match fee for abusing Ponting after having him stumped. INDIAN pace bowler Shanth Sreesanth is emerging as cricket's next bad boy. Ruled out of the Test series with injury, Sreesanth was charged four times in nine months between December 2006 and September 2007. DRAVID and Tendulkar, regarded as two of the most squeaky-clean figures in world cricket, have been caught ball tampering. Tendulkar was fined 75 per cent of his match fee in 2001, while Dravid was fined 50 per cent for altering the ball's condition in a one-dayer against Zimbabwe in Brisbane in 2004. However the main culprit is Ganguly. The former skipper has forked out about $50,000 in fines for offences ranging from abusing players and umpires to bringing the game into disrepute for failing to control his team. In a 15-month period between 2004 and '05, Ganguly committed a staggering five breaches -- his final act was for unfair play for time wasting that saw him banned for four one-day games. Since his return to the Test side last year, Ganguly has kept a clean slate, but he flagged India's mindset last month when he said his side would not be bullied by the home team. "That is not a worry for us," said Ganguly following a drama-charged seven-match one-day series in India. "What happened in India for me is in the past, but for Australia, maybe not. They will try to pressure us and they may say some things but we have many senior players who can handle that. "Winning in Australia is always difficult, but we are confident. "This is probably the most experienced Indian team to come to Australia in quite a while. We know what to expect from them." West Indies great Michael Holding, who travels as a commentator, said India was not the worst behaved team. "I have seen a lot of all the teams and I don't find India to be the worst, not at all," he said. "When I played against India, with their top spinners, they were quite aggressive. "I wouldn't say they are well behaved, but they are not the worst. These days there are not too many well behaved teams in world cricket. "Unfortunately, the game has become win at all costs."
they (ICC) even say that their elite panel gets 96% of their decisions correct. go figure.
MM, I want to ask a serious question: Even if a few fools in India did the monkey chant, how did Symonds know that it was directed to him? Was his name taken? If not, isn't this a meaningless allegation in which the person concerned is only showing his own insecurities?
It was very very obvious Chandan. You must have not seen those banners.

India are the worst-behaved team in world cricket - Daily Telegraph Here we go....one more biased report from Australian press As the tourists persist with threats to abort their tour of Australia, official ICC data obtained by The Sunday Telegraph shows India have faced more sanctions than any Test-playing rival in the past 10 years. Former captain Sourav Ganguly is the game's undisputed problem child, being hauled over the coals by cricket's governing body a record 12 times in his international career. Overall, Indian players have been charged for 43 infringements since 1997, for offences including intimidating umpires, abusing rival players, ball tampering, time wasting and widespread dissent. Of the present touring party, five have copped fines or suspensions - Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh. The rap sheet is evidence the Indians are anything but cricketing choirboys as they continue to deny spinner Harbhajan is guilty of racially abusing all-rounder Andrew Symonds. Yet despite the raft of indiscretions, Indian cricket board vice-president Lalit Modi insists the side does not have an attitude problem. "Sometimes you see sides carry on when the stakes are high but we are not one of them,'' Modi said from India. http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23044267-5001023,00.html?from=public_rss

To all cricket fans. New words added in dictionary !!! Ponting: (n) (adj) 1. A substance or entity or even a person of questionable integrity 2. An act of uncivilised behaviour. [Also, pontingness (n)] Usage: The judge was driven towards justice because he knew that the pontiff was a ponting. Sir Bonkers said, “Don’t try to bully me. I surely can fathom the pontingness in your eyes”. Bucknor: (n) (adj) 1. Temporary blindness leading to missing out on the obvious. 2. To be at the wrong place at the wrong time. 3. Situations leading to grave judgemental errors. Usage: I feel bucknored by my boss; Life often throws a bucknor at you. Benson: (n) (adj) 1. Something that legitimises a severe bucknor. Usage: First they bucknored me and then they bensoned it! I am toast. Also see bucknor

Posted my comments there, not sure they will be published. Wow, what an insightful article! Did you just descend from Mars, Mr. Peter ? Did you not know, that the 'white teams' never get pulled up for bad behavior, over rates, dissents, suspect action, over appealing and such ? Now chew on these: 1) Ricky & his men sport the kinda morals, that a reptile would be ashamed of. You dont claim two bump catches in a game, after conning the opponent captain of fair play & then go chest thumping on your integrity in a post match interview. When was the last time, a non white player got away with such apparent LYING to an umpire (and this after Ganguly standing his ground in doubt & Benson consulting Ricky) ? Remember Rashid Latif ? Count two ICC infringements (against Ponting & Clarke boy), that Aussies got away with. 2) The future Aussie sensation and captain, Michael Clarke, is the biggest cheat of all. I am not surprised you guys are investing in him as your future captain. The guy seems to be making it a habit of claiming bump catches, doesnt he ? If you bother, fast fwd to min 2:55 in the youtube clip & see for yourself, how he claimed a bump catch in the recently concluded Chappell-Hadlee trophy. Count one ICC infringement that Clarke got away with. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpYKrstzVmw]YouTube - 3rd ODI Australia vs New Zealand at Hobart Highlights 3 of 3[/ame] 3) Remember Sarwan-McGrath incident and how McGrath got away with whatever he mouthed off ? Would you be kind enough to add one more please ? 4) And how about the numerous times Warney got away with over appealing & even insulting umpires (Aleem Daar) ? 5) Remember Steve Waugh's farewell game at Sydney ? Do you know what the overrate was in that game ? Count a few more please. 6) Remember how Ricky sounded like a sore loser when he lost the Mumbai Test in 2004 ? Or the Ashes in 2005 ? Did he not whine about substitutes and lack of technology and such, which a subcontinental captain would have been pulled up for ? I could list more, but it will be in vain, as one eyed Aussies like you, wont get it, Mr. Peter. Now sample a list of offenses subcontinentals get pulled up for: 1) Balaji/Sehwag for not turning around and asking an umpire after a clear caught behind 2) Ganguly -- numerous times for slow overrates 3) Bhajji & Murali for suspect actions. Never mind, Lee & Tait are angels. 4) Inzi & co for ball tampering (with zero evidence) 5) Sreesanth for being vocal on the field The list is endless. India brings 80% of the money into the game. But all the guys who rule ICC are whites. Unless this changes, the subcontinentals will continue to get mugged both on & off the field. Keep writing such biased articles. If you repeat often enough, you will end up convincing a few suckers.