IPL team: Rajasthan Royals

Feed

Jaipur franchise to be penalised The Jaipur franchise has been penalised for falling short of the minimum bid amount in the IPL auction. Jaipur bought only eight players, the least among all the teams, spent only US$2,925,000, a figure that was well below the minimum US$3.3 million mark. More... Jaipur franchise to be penalised Ajay S Shankar February 20, 2008 273921.jpgThe Jaipur franchise bought the Australian duo of Justin Langer and Shane Warne at the IPL players' auction, but yet fell short of the minimum requirement of spending US$3.3 million © Getty Images The Jaipur franchise has been penalised for falling short of spending the mandatory minimum amount in the IPL players' auction, Cricinfo has learnt. Jaipur bought only eight players, spending US$2,925,000, a figure well below the required US$3.3 million mark. "We have asked them to deposit the difference between the minimum of US$3.3 million and the amount they have spent at the auction," IS Bindra, a senior member of the IPL governing council told Cricinfo. "This could also be deducted from the amount that the IPL will pay the teams. But I believe they have a strategy and wanted to save their money for purchases outside the pool." "Apparently, Jaipur had some confusion over the auction process rules," Charu Sharma, the CEO of Bangalore Royal Challengers, told Cricinfo. "We were told by the IPL management that they have been penalised. They will have to pay the remaining amount to the IPL, who will use the money to reimburse players whose names were withdrawn." Mohammad Yousuf and Ashwell Prince were the two players who were withdrawn from the auction as they didn't attract any bids. A part of the money paid by the Jaipur side could be used to compensate the duo. At the other end of the spectrum, five teams - Mohali, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad and Kolkata - have gone above the maximum limit of US$5 million that was set for the auction. However, the IPL rules state that if a player is expected to be "either completely unavailable or only available for less than four of the matches in 2008, 25% of the player fee bid for that player in the auction will count against the US$5 million purse." Many players, including all the centrally-contracted Australian cricketers, will fall in this category and the figures spent for the players who are not available will need to be modified accordingly. All the above teams have players who are likely to skip a part or whole of the inaugural season. "For example, the purchase for US$400,000 of a player, who is expected to be completely unavailable in 2008, will cause a deduction of US$100,000 from the franchise's overall $5m purse," the rules state. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team for Jaipur as of now: Shane Warne (US$450,000), Graeme Smith (US$475,000), Younis Khan (US$225,000), Kamran Akmal (US$150,000), Yusuf Pathan (US$475,000), Mohammad Kaif (US$675,000), Munaf Patel (US$275,000), Justin Langer (US$200,000)

here is what he said. Source Cricinfo David Hussey in doubt, Langer pulls out Doubts linger over where will David Hussey be headed come April © Getty Images David Hussey, the Victoria batsman, may have been purchased for US$625,000 by the Kolkata franchise in the Indian Premier League's auction, but his county side Nottinghamshire have insisted that he is contracted to play for them this season. Hussey's participation in the IPL - which runs from April 18 to June 1 - will see him miss the first five County Championship matches and eight games in the Friends Provident Trophy. Mike Newell, Nottinghamshire's director of cricket, said: "We are currently talking to David and his advisors, so I would prefer not to comment at this stage other than to say that he signed a new two-year contract with us after the end of last season." Hussey was one of the surprise buys at the IPL auction, given that he fetched $625,000, well above his initial base price of $125,000. He even outdid his more famous brother, Test player Michael, who went for $350,000. Unlike Michael, David was reportedly available for the entire tournament, which perhaps was one of the reasons why he sold for a higher price than the likes of Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden Meanwhile, Justin Langer, the former Australian Test opener, has indicated he will play for Somerset and won't turn out for the Jaipur franchise, who offered $200,000 for his participation. "I have made a commitment to Somerset and I intend to honour it," Langer told the Age. "I made that clear when I first signed with IPL and I have no hesitation sticking to it." Langer fears the IPL will damage the game and didn't mince words over his aversion to the big bucks on offer. "When you go to your grave, people will remember what you did with your life rather than how much money you made." The newspaper also reported that Luke Ronchi, the Western Australia wicketkeeper, is considering an A$100,000 (approx US$92,000) offer to join the Mumbai franchise, while his team-mate Luke Pomersbach, who earned a car park call-up to play a Twenty20 international for Australia, is also set to join an IPL team. The Mumbai franchise failed to buy a wicketkeeper-batsman at the auction held on Wednesday.

Langer fears the IPL will damage the game and didn't mince words over his aversion to the big bucks on offer. "When you go to your grave, people will remember what you did with your life rather than how much money you made."
:finger: what a sook ! he didnt have any issues till 1 month ago and now all of a sudden its a devil's tournament. I also wonder how many people will remember him for the runs he is scoring in the English county

Younis disappointed at bid price After Australian captain Ricky Ponting, the Pakistan batsman is another player to express disappointment at not fetching a bigger bid price. Most Expensive| The Great IPL tamasha | IPL Players' auction list More... Press Trust Of India Karachi, February 23, 2008 First Published: 11:16 IST(23/2/2008) Last Updated: 12:45 IST(23/2/2008) After Australian captain Ricky Ponting, Pakistan batsman Younis Khan is another player to express disappointment at not fetching a bigger bid price in the Indian Premier League players' auction. Younis, who is captaining the North-West Frontier Province in the ongoing Pentangular tournament, told reporters he was surprised at the low price tag he attracted from the city teams taking part in the IPL Twenty20 event. The Jaipur franchise signed on Younis for a bid price of USD 225,000, which is far less than the USD 675,000 obtained by Shahid Afridi, USD 650,000 by Mohammad Asif and USD 500,000 by Pakistan skipper Shoaib Malik. "It is a bit worrying because I was expecting a more attractive price tag," Younis said. "It is less than my expectations and it is a little bit of worry for me but I am confident that it (money) will improve next time with better performance," he said. Ponting, who was signed on by the Kolkata team for USD 400,000, has also expressed disappointment at the price he fetched at the auction. However, Younis said he remained a strong believer that performance would eventually help in achieving the targets he has set. "I know one thing that if I perform better, I will be given a better offer and I am committed to achieving that goal in the IPL," he stated. The Pakistan Cricket Board Younis hopes that India will tour the country for a short one-day series with Australia likely to come only for a curtailed visit. Younis felt the series against the arch rivals will prepare Pakistan to take on the world champions.

Warne to lead Jaipur team The franchise has already set the communication ranks going, with South African captain Graeme Smith already becoming a part of the major think-tank. More... 85217.icon.jpg The Emerging Media-owned Jaipur IPL franchise is all set to announce Australian spin-wizard Shane Warne as their captain for the tournament. The decision to appoint Shane Warne as the skipper was confirmed by Fraser Castellino, the CEO of the franchise. On Warne’s captaincy, Castellino said, “We will confirm his appointment on Wednesday. We are just going through a communication process within the team, where every player is consulted before we arrive at a final solution.†The franchise has already set the communication ranks going, with South African captain Graeme Smith already becoming a part of the major think-tank. Mohammad Kaif and India’s twenty20 World Cup winning member Yusuf Pathan are also important members of the Jaipur strategem. Castellino also clarified the confusion surrounding former Australian opener Justin Langer’s availability for the 2008 season. He said, “I don’t know why there is so much of misunderstanding regarding Langer. We always made it clear that he will not be available for the 2008 season and his contract begins only in the 2009. There is a reason behind buying him - we are eyeing a development role for him (possibly as player manager).†Apart from the overseas signings, Castellino suggested that his team was scouting good Indian talent. Pankaj Singh, the lanky paceman from Rajasthan, has already signed up for the Jaipur franchise on Saturday. There was a touch of controversy surrounding the franchise’s spending ways during the auction. Their total spendings for the auction was $2.9m, $40,000 short of the mandatory spending as laid out by the BCCI. They have to deposit this money to the IPL. On this, Castellino defended his franchise by saying that, “We thought that $5m is the cap for the whole season. Since we had a definite strategy before we went into the auction room, we thought of spending only for the first half of the season and spend the rest later. But, Manoj (Badale) has agreed to follow the rules, but we thought we’d put in an appeal as it was mentioned in the IPL rulebook.â€

Warne wants to 'get along' with Smith Shane Warne was taken aback when he heard he'll soon be playing alongside his cricketing nemesis South Africa captain Graeme Smith in the Indian Premier League. More... February 25 2008 at 10:33AM Former Australia legspinner Shane Warne was taken aback when he heard he'll soon be playing alongside his cricketing nemesis South Africa captain Graeme Smith in the Indian Premier League. "I won't tell you what my first impression was," a smiling Warne said Monday of the player he's had a number of verbal jousts with during matches. "When you play against people and you're both playing for your country you might not see eye to eye, and I haven't seen eye to eye with Graeme about a lot of things," he said. "In a funny sort of way I'm actually looking forward to it, so it'll be interesting to see how he ticks and hopefully he can help me out with a few of the younger players in the side," Warne added. "We're playing together in the same side where we haven't got along well over the years, but hopefully we might get along as teammates."

IPL can't beat the pride of playing for India: Kaif India discard Mohd. Kaif feels no cricketer worth his salt would think IPL more important than donning national colours. More... Posted online: Monday , February 25, 2008 at 1436 hrs IST Print EmailTo Editor Jaipur, February 25: : The cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL) may be a lucrative proposition but India discard Mohd. Kaif feels no cricketer worth his salt would think it more important than donning national colours. "It's OK to play in IPL but the satisfaction and pride that you get by playing for India is unbeatable. You just cannot compare IPL with playing for your national team," Kaif, who will play for Jaipur franchise team in the league starting April 18, said. IPL has been launched amid much fanfare and there are concerns that the Twenty20 league would drive youngsters away from domestic cricket. However, Kaif felt such concerns were unfounded. Kaif, who has been out of the national team for close to a year, said he was not disheartened by not being in the side despite his good record in the domestic circuit and was hopeful for making a comeback soon. "I concentrate on my game. It is up to the selectors to decide whether I should be back in the team or not. I have made nearly 1200 runs playing for Uttar Pradesh and India 'A'," he said. "I am willing to bat at any position in the line-up," he added.

Fraser Castellino, CEO of Emerging Media that owns the Jaipur franchise, said Warne will be assisted by a strong support staff, which will include former Indian team physiotherapist John Gloster. "Shane Warne's extraordinary achievements on and off the field, combined with his unique understanding of the game, has made him a living sporting legend," he said. "It is this leadership and experience that will develop the success and spirit of the Rajasthan Royals. All the players will look upto and Shane's commitment and astute cricketing brain."

Warne to captain and coach Jaipur IPL team The team, owned by Emerging Media, has been christened as 'Rajasthan Royals'. More... February 27, 2008 18:00 IST Australian spin legend Shane Warne [images] was on Wednesday named as the coach and captain of Jaipur's DLF Indian Premier League (IPL) team which will be christened as 'Rajasthan Royals'. "Shane Warne's extraordinary achievements on and off the field, combined with his unique understanding of the game, has made him a living sporting legend, leading to the strategic appointment as captain and coach of the Rajasthan Royals," franchise owner Emerging media said in a statement. "It is this leadership and experience that will develop the success and spirit of the Rajasthan Royals. All the players will look up to and Shane's commitment and astute cricketing brain," said Emerging Media CEO Fraser Castellino. "Shane has been a winner throughout his career and has made it clear that he is coming to India to make the Rajasthan Royals win. His experience of over 15 years in international cricket will be invaluable to a team of players from different countries, cultures, and ages." Castellino said his team will have a strong support staff which will include former Indian team physiotherapist John Gloster, a director of coaching and a team manager. Warne, who retired from cricket after last year's Ashes series, had been Test cricket's highest wicket taker before Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan overtook him. He has been captain of English county side Hampshire since 2004. Warne said he is looking forward to lead the side and build a winning team. "Our main goal is to build a winning 20/20 cricket team. I'm very happy with the list of players chosen in the auction. I'm looking forward to leading the Rajasthan Royals, to playing with the boys and to a successful season," said the champion spinner.

We don't need a coach - Warne Australian spin bowling great Shane Warne has long believed cricket teams don't need coaches, so he's becoming one. More... We don't need a coach - Warne February 29 2008 at 08:46AM Australian spin bowling great Shane Warne has long believed cricket teams don't need coaches, so he's becoming one. Warne has taken on the role of captain-coach for the Jaipur franchise in the upcoming Indian Premier League, having long derided the increasing influence of coaches at international level. "Part of the reason of being captain-coach is that we won't need one," Warne said in Perth on Thursday. "One of my strengths as a player is that I can get the best out of people. Speaking with the people at Jaipur they want me to do both the roles, so I suppose I just tick both boxes.

Guest HariSampath

Greg Chappell is based at the Jaipur academy and he is close to Lalit Modi, thats why Warne has probably said they dont need a coach, he wants Chappell away.

Mascarenhas signs with Indian Premier League England and Hampshire allrounder Dimitri Mascarenhas has signed for the Indian Premier League franchise Jaipur. More... Hampshire agree to 'limited exposure' deal Mascarenhas signs with Indian Premier League Cricinfo staff March 11, 2008 335384.jpgDimitri Mascarenhas: off to India © Getty Images England and Hampshire allrounder Dimitri Mascarenhas has signed for the Indian Premier League's Jaipur franchise. Mascarenhas becomes the first English player to agree a contract with the IPL, and the move comes with the blessing of Hampshire. "We reached agreement at 2am today," Rod Bransgrove, the county's chairman, told Cricinfo. "The deal is that he will have limited exposure to the IPL this season and will be a Hampshire player for the next two seasons. It takes into account the realities of the situation." Hampshire, who will be compensated for the time he is away, will issue Mascarenhas with a No Objection Certificate, freeing him to play in India, although it is unclear when he will be expected back at the Rose Bowl. As he is not centrally contracted to the national team, the ECB will not need to give its approval.