Learning to rollerblade. Any tips ?

CC1981

A friend of mine, who is moving away,just gave me his roller blades (lucky enough, he and I are of the same feet size, so its a very good fit) and i decided to make good use of them instead of sell them. Trouble is, i have no idea about what it involves to rollerskate- i have never roller-bladed, never roller-skated and i've ice-skated only a couple of times (with near-disastrous results each time). Any tips would be welcome. What to do ? what not to do ? do i really need a helmet while learning ? ( i don't plan on barreling down the road at Mach2, i plan on finding myself a quiet parking lot and learning how to skate with comfort at low speeds, turn, stop etc. for now.) Btw, any idea how long it takes to get good at rollerblading ? i plan on putting atleast 2-3 days a week for an hour or so each day for learning the skill.

I can ice-skate really well. I've tried rollerblading a couple of times, managed to do just fine. If you have that balance, it doesn't really make a difference. The balance comes with a lot of practice (and a lot of bruises). If you are scared about getting hurt (which you should be, because you WILL get hurt) buy yourself some elbow pads, kneepads and a helmet. As far as the appraoch is concerned, what you should be looking to do is always keep one foot directly in front of the other. Never bring them parallel to each other, 'cos then you will fall like a sack of sh it. The way you move forward is by alternating between the feet - the foot that stays ahead is your pivot, the foot behind it pushes you forward. You alternate between them as you move forward. Those are the basics. You also keep your arms out to maintain that balance, so that your weight gets distributed evenly as you move forward. Learning this is easier with ice-skates than with rollerblades because you can glide on the ice.