Sehwag to curb attacking instincts

DesiChap

Indian opener Virender Sehwag is prepared to tone down his explosive batting style to regain form and make an impact at the World Cup starting next month. The 28-year-old Delhi batsman goes into the tournament starting in the Caribbean on March 13 following a prolonged form slump which almost cost him his World Cup spot. Sehwag said the poor run, scoring just one half-century in 13 innings since August, had dented his confidence. He was also replaced by Sachin Tendulkar as skipper Rahul Dravid's deputy. "I'm practising hard, on fitness and batting and bowling," he said on Sunday. "Hopefully, I will get better before the World Cup and get some confidence and perform consistently." His fast starts would be crucial for the 1983 champions, but he failed on the South Africa tour late last year and was left out of the recent home one-day series victory over West Indies. Sehwag regained form in the series-clinching win over Sri Lanka this month, scoring 46 off 44 balls before he was run out as he walked across to complete a single. "I've changed a little bit in my shot selection," he said. "It's important you are careful with your shots, especially when you are not getting runs. "I will restrict one or two of my shots, spend some time at the wicket and then play them," he said. "Before that maybe I was playing too many shots initially and getting out." EARLY SWING Chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar has asked him to settle down and see off the early overs when the white ball swings a lot. Sehwag backed his natural aggression, pointing to his strike rate of 96.04, having scored 4,833 runs in 167 one-dayers. He has also taken 72 wickets bowling off-spin. "If you start hitting the ball, the bowler will also be a little scared," he said. "You put pressure on him so he will give one or two balls to hit to the boundary." Sehwag admits to feeling extra pressure following the poor run in South Africa. "This was for the first time my form was bad in both Tests and one-dayers," he said. "It happens sometimes, the bad patch comes in your cricketing life. Maybe I've passed through that phase. Hopefully, I will play some big innings in the World Cup." Sehwag was confident India would do well on pitches he said could play slow with low bounce like in the sub-continent. "It could be difficult for [champions] Australia also," he said. "They are used to bouncy and fast tracks. So the team which plays well on a given day will win. "My goal is to give a good start to the team and if I get that, to just carry on and get a big one."

Re: Sehwag to curb attacking instincts No batsmen has ever succeeded by "curbing" his natural instincts. Once you are out there in the middle, it's impossible to play a style of cricket which is alien to you - impulse takes over. Veeru needs go out there and play each match like it's his last; the runs will eventually come. His problem is more psychological than technical; he has lacked the confidence to stay at the crease.

Re: Sehwag to curb attacking instincts Actually....this strategy might work for Sehwag.Many a time recently he has gotten out trying to play an audacious shot in the first few overs.Additionaly playing in the middle order might give him a chance to relax a bit and get into his groove.Once he scores in a couple of innings he would have taken a lot of pressure off himself and then he can look to play more freely.

Re: Sehwag to curb attacking instincts if it wasnt for the WC, i would have slapped him with 5 odi ban for his lazy run out in last ODI.. he got lucky that we won the game and series, otherwise he would have gotten lot of flake.. nobody is even asking him about that incident.. i wonder why Dravid likes Veeru.. both are on opposite extremes.. one takes responsiblity, values his wicket, technically perfect.. other is........... you know..

Re: Sehwag to curb attacking instincts

"I've changed a little bit in my shot selection," he said. "It's important you are careful with your shots, especially when you are not getting runs. "I will restrict one or two of my shots, spend some time at the wicket and then play them," he said. "Before that maybe I was playing too many shots initially and getting out."
He is doing what an smart man would do. Sehwag usually gets out chasing a wide delivery. I am sure that is one of the shots he is talking about. Besides all he saying is he wont play wild shots early in the innings, once settled he will play his game. In the last few games even Dhoni has played the safer game based on the situation. So whats wrong with that ?

Re: Sehwag to curb attacking instincts i like this new sehwag. putting a prize on his wicket, wanting to pick and chose the deliveries to hit. it is good for the team. what i don't want to see is him being tentative and getting out cause he doesn't know to hit or leave. as long as he has a clear game plan, i say go for it instead of blindly trying to hit every delivery.

i like this new sehwag. putting a prize on his wicket' date=' wanting to pick and chose the deliveries to hit. it is good for the team. what i don't want to see is him being tentative and getting out cause he doesn't know to hit or leave. as long as he has a clear game plan, i say go for it instead of blindly trying to hit every delivery.[/quote'] exactly. in the game against SL where he got 47, during the initial part he was careful but once settled he played his natural game. In one over of malinga or fernando he hit 3 4s. He would have got a big one had he not run himself out.

before he use to score 25 runs in 10 ball - so now is he going to score 25 runs in 50 balls? WTF - if that's the case then kaif should have gone instead of him
kaif has been given enuffff chances..he is a fielder and nothing more.. sehwag can bowl too..and he WILL fire in wc kaif is a goner.. :hmph: