Has Chappell ALREADY done ...

Zooter

a successful job? Read: http://www.indianexpress.com/story/25468.html

India better placed than in ?03: Wright Port of Spain: : Former India coach John Wright feels Rahul Dravid and Co were ?better placed? this time than in the 2003 World Cup when they reached the final during his stint. ?They are further ahead than we were in 2003. We had a tough tour of New Zealand prior to the World Cup and at this stage last time out, we lost to what was virtually a Natal third side,? Wright said. ?India are well ahead of that. They have also beaten Sri Lanka at home. At this stage they are better placed,? he was quoted as saying in the media.
Apart from Test Match success, performance in the World Cup is also a litmus test for Chappell's coaching contribution to Team India. If John Wright of all people--not some anti-India ex-ISI goon--is claiming that India are starting at a better point, hasn't the coaching staff done it's duty? Can we blame the Captain, or the Head Coach or the Selectors or the Physios and Trainers, etc. ... ... if at THIS POINT, ... ... taklu can't hit a ball or Irfan bowls slower than a school girl. At this point, the ONUS is on the players, ... yes? Your thoughts?

Re: Has Chappell ALREADY done ... Better placed, yes - however, ODI series vs weakened SL and WI are a different kettle of fish in comparison to playing a full tour overseas in NZ; that too in the adverse conditions the team encountered back then. Keep in mind that India were still on a roll in the lead up to the '03 WC, having won the Natwest in the summer of '02 and subsequently the joint-winners of the ICCT in SL. In the lead up to '07 though; India were down in the doldrums and far from settled before the WI series so Wright's point is arguable. Personally, i'd rather have seen India lose the two warm-up matches. That way they would receive their reality check early on and would be under pressure to perform; as was the case in '03 - following the 9 wicket defeat to AUS. Currently, they run the risk of becoming complacent. ...and yes, i can blame the coaching staff for the decline observed in two of the most talented cricketers produced by India during this decade. Sehwag was sh*t in ODI's towards the end of Wright's tenure but he still kept it together in Tests and was scoring runs for fun. Since Chappell's arrival; his game in test cricket has declined beyond recognition. Chappell did revive Pathan after the '05 PAK series when we all thought he was done for, but he eventually fell to pieces during the WI tour and hasn't been the same bowler since. Such dramatic turnarounds in the course of just one year is more than a coincidence, don't you think ?

Re: Has Chappell ALREADY done ... Well one would HOPE that after paying Greggy twice as much as Wright and experimenting non-stop... though in the end falling back to veterans Sourav and Zaheer... India would be better placed... I too think they are better placed... So anything less than the Cup itself would be a disappointment....eh? :hic:

Re: Has Chappell ALREADY done ...

Well one would HOPE that after paying Greggy twice as much as Wright and experimenting non-stop... though in the end falling back to veterans Sourav and Zaheer... India would be better placed... I too think they are better placed... So anything less than the Cup itself would be a disappointment....eh? :hic:
Didn't know Dravid, Sachin, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Dhoni, Munaf, Aggy, harby have all retired. :hmph:

Personally, i'd rather have seen India lose the two warm-up matches. That way they would receive their reality check early on and would be under pressure to perform; as was the case in '03 - following the 9 wicket defeat to AUS. Currently, they run the risk of becoming complacent.
I dont agree with the losing the warm ups things for fear of complacency. Nothing can match winning , it makes you feel good about youself and more certain of your strengths. If we had lost the warm-ups , it would have been nothing short of a disaster.

Well one would HOPE that after paying Greggy twice as much as Wright and experimenting non-stop... though in the end falling back to veterans Sourav and Zaheer... India would be better placed... I too think they are better placed... So anything less than the Cup itself would be a disappointment....eh? :hic:
i dont quite get tht argument.... engineers in india are paid 5 times more than wat engineers used to get 5 yrs bak... do they really perform 5 times better..... i am sure, u get paid more than wat u used to get a few yrs bak for the same work...

Re: Has Chappell ALREADY done ... I dont think we are better prepared compared to 2003. And i would blame the last stages of wright era for that. Took too long to make changes even when we were failing. So we could never test newer players properly. Take Raina for example, he did start really well but started declining. But hes not in the WC squad bcos he didnt have the time to get back. Utappa is another untested prospect. Not enough time to test him properly.Sehwag should have been dropped long time back,so he would either be in the side after a strong performance or gone forever. Instead the WC is used to decide his fate. We stuck with bad performers for so long ,till 2005, that it gave no time to test new players on a lot of different turfs. Ofcourse players like raina, pathan hitting a low at the wrong time contributes too. So the blame should be on the selectors,coaches and both the dravid and ganguly captaincy.

Personally, i'd rather have seen India lose the two warm-up matches. That way they would receive their reality check early on and would be under pressure to perform; as was the case in '03 - following the 9 wicket defeat to AUS. Currently, they run the risk of becoming complacent.
I dont agree with the losing the warm ups things for fear of complacency. Nothing can match winning , it makes you feel good about youself and more certain of your strengths. If we had lost the warm-ups , it would have been nothing short of a disaster.
I agree, I mean the guys are on the field to win. What type of mindset do you want them to go with? Let's play bad so we can lose and we will try and hit back in the real games I think we are looking too much into the past, India lost their warm-up in 03 and went on reach the final. They played one bad game, finito We all watched that ICC game v.s Australia..we tried our best in that game..tried to push the game, bowl well, normal fielding standards..still the better team won, but they tried..and thats the way it is..we try to give 100% but success doesn't come our way all the time

i dont quite get tht argument.... engineers in india are paid 5 times more than wat engineers used to get 5 yrs bak... do they really perform 5 times better..... i am sure, u get paid more than wat u used to get a few yrs bak for the same work...
5 times inflation :shrug:

Re: Has Chappell ALREADY done ... Completely bogus arguement... The price for Cricket coaches has not gone up double... and there are many able and willing to do the job for less than Greggy... He got double the salary as he was supposed to take India to the next level... In terms of records that has not happened... India LOST very BADLY in the ICC Champions Trophy...and in the DLF Cup... and have been basically whitewashed in the two ODI series they played overseas.. Home wins are fine and dandy...but that is not what Greggy was paid for...

Better placed, yes - however, ODI series vs weakened SL and WI are a different kettle of fish in comparison to playing a full tour overseas in NZ; that too in the adverse conditions the team encountered back then. Keep in mind that India were still on a roll in the lead up to the '03 WC, having won the Natwest in the summer of '02 and subsequently the joint-winners of the ICCT in SL. In the lead up to '07 though; India were down in the doldrums and far from settled before the WI series so Wright's point is arguable.
I disagree. We had won Natwest trophy 9 months before the WC and CT 6 months before the WC but after that we had only lost. We lost to a weak WI sides at home in a 7 ODI series and lost terribly to NZ on those damp pitches. After that we had no preparations whatsoever. Didn't we choose an unknown quantity in Mongia in '03 who was mostly useless throughout the WC? At least this time around we tried various options and finally came to the conclusion to get back to the veterans even if they're 4 years older now. We have inexperienced attack but how experienced were Nehra and Zaheer in '03, both playing their 1st WC? I think our preparations are fine this time. Now the players HAVE to perform and for that it is players who have to take effort not the coach.

I disagree. We had won Natwest trophy 9 months before the WC and CT 6 months before the WC but after that we had only lost. We lost to a weak WI sides at home in a 7 ODI series and lost terribly to NZ on those damp pitches. After that we had no preparations whatsoever. Didn't we choose an unknown quantity in Mongia in '03 who was mostly useless throughout the WC? At least this time around we tried various options and finally came to the conclusion to get back to the veterans even if they're 4 years older now. We have inexperienced attack but how experienced were Nehra and Zaheer in '03, both playing their 1st WC? I think our preparations are fine this time. Now the players HAVE to perform and for that it is players who have to take effort not the coach.
Don't undermine the importance of winning trophies. The sheer high a team gets from holding silverware can sustain their moral for plenty of time. India themselves were playing depleted sides during the WI series at home hence that loss couldn't be treated as a major setback. The wins vs SL and WI in the lead up to the '07 tournament were merely papering over the gaping cracks which had formed since the start of the new year when India looked in dismal shape. One or two series defeats don't do much to dent morale if the team has enjoyed a very good year, but one or two series wins can't hide a team's inadequacies if they have had an awful year for the most part. See the difference ? Anyway, this is the World Cup - a whole new stage where each side essentially starts off with a clean slate so the form-book can be thrown out of the window. Certain teams and players tend to raise their game on the bigger stages; while others fail to live up to their billing. In the context of the most significant event in world cricket, lead-ups or form don't really mean anything.