job interview question..

cybervickey

hi, i need advice fro my gf, she got fired from her old job which was a retail store that she used to work at.they fired her to be shopping on the clock for like 3 mins when everybody else does that all the time.any way.. now she got a letter from USPS (us postal service) asking her to apply coz' they have got some openings and there is a question in the job application that pretty mush asks if the person applying from job was fired from any previous jobs and asks for the reason why the person got fired.Now my question is ... does she really has to tell them about the firing part or can she just say no ? i mean do they really do that deep back ground checks ? remember ,this is USPS we are talking about no some high end corporate world job And say if she does mentions the termination, would that effect her chances of getting the job ?.

I wouldnt mention it. Its not as if she got fired for a fraud or something. Even if they get to know (99.9% sure they wont)' date=' she can still say that there was a disagreement and she herself wanted to leave.[/quote'] thanks for the reply ..what do others think about this situation? onemore question --->> should she mention the job she got fired from in her application ?i'd prefer her to do so since she was working there for 3 yrs and that could count towards experience!

thanks for the reply ..what do others think about this situation? onemore question --->> should she mention the job she got fired from in her application ?i'd prefer her to do so since she was working there for 3 yrs and that could count towards experience!
Definitely include the job in work experience don't mention firing and don't check the box that says "can we contact your most recent employer"

I think it really depends, getting fired is not a crime else there would be a big clause - Sorry, Fired people need not apply. They will ask her in the interview and she can explain what happened. I am sure any rational HR individual would know that people get fired all the time In my opinion, one should never lie for job, legal or immigration. I'd say be frank and explain your side

hi, i need advice fro my gf, she got fired from her old job which was a retail store that she used to work at.they fired her to be shopping on the clock for like 3 mins when everybody else does that all the time.any way.. now she got a letter from USPS (us postal service) asking her to apply coz' they have got some openings and there is a question in the job application that pretty mush asks if the person applying from job was fired from any previous jobs and asks for the reason why the person got fired.Now my question is ... does she really has to tell them about the firing part or can she just say no ? i mean do they really do that deep back ground checks ? remember ,this is USPS we are talking about no some high end corporate world job And say if she does mentions the termination, would that effect her chances of getting the job ?.
Just tell USPS "iinnocently fired, can explain'...and be ready to explain...:D...anyway best of luck.

I think it really depends, getting fired is not a crime else there would be a big clause - Sorry, Fired people need not apply. They will ask her in the interview and she can explain what happened. I am sure any rational HR individual would know that people get fired all the time In my opinion, one should never lie for job, legal or immigration. I'd say be frank and explain your side
Good advice, IMO.

If she has a valid reason for her act then I would suggest to tell the truth and take her chances. However if she doesnt have a valid reason then I suggest not to bring it up. Though it may not be a real big issue but in the very least it wont portray a good picture. If she chooses not to divulge the reasons then make sure she gives a reference at UPS that could back her story(she resigned because she wanted to move on, better offers yada yada). The last thing you need to do is to create X story then call her boss who tells Y.

In an ideal world, that will work well. But in today's not-so-ideal world, that advice may not work always.