USA Hoopssss

Dravid

Everyone expected them to win, but the surprise has been how easy it has been for 'em. First they said Greece will challenge 'em, but that didnt happen. Then they said Spain will put up a fight, but that didnt happen either. Finally, it was Aus who were billed to compete with 'em on level peggings. Aus did fight well in the first quarter, at the end of which they trailed 24-25. They had just one turnover in the entire quarter. Even towards the end of the second quarter, they were trailing by 6-7 pts for the most part. But, right at the buzzer at the second of the 2nd quarter, Darren Williams hit a 3, which made the lead 12. And less than 2 mins after the half-time break, Carmello Anthony and Kobe hit long 3s. So, a lead that was a manageable 9 pts at one time, ballooned to 18 in no time. From then on, there was no looking back for Team USA. Team USA is just too strong, have too much depth and talent to be challenged. Other teams keep up with with 'em for at the most a quarter and a half, but as time goes on, and the players begin to wear out, that is when US players' superior stamina and the team's awesome bench strength shows up. In Lebron James, Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard, USA has three major defensive powerhouses who are also VERY good on the offensive boards. Lebron has been omnipresent on the court, blocking shots, taking rebounds and scoring lots of points. The surprise has been Chris Bosh, he's done really well both on the offensive and defensive ends, even outperforming Dwight Howard. Dwayne Wade has been absoutely brilliant. Till last game, he was 5th on the list of minutes of Team USA members, but their leading scorer and along with Kobe, these are two wonderfully athletic players to have. Frankly, I dont see any team ever coming close to beating this team.

It's no wonder, they have the most depth... This time Team USA got serious after the ass whoopings they got in 04 & 06(at the FIBA WC); besides Argentina have serious depth issues in all of their positions; Herman, Nocioni were hurt; Ginobili got hurt during the game... I think the Argentine team of 04 would have run this team close or even beaten this team...

Today's semifinal game vs the Argies showed how vulnerable Team USA is to the zone... I don't think they would have won by 20, if Ginobili was at full strength... Don't think James, Bosh & Wade are all great defensive players; they are great athletes playing with active hands and forcing turnovers; James is one of the worst defensive players in the NBA...

Today's semifinal game vs the Argies showed how vulnerable Team USA is to the zone... I don't think they would have won by 20, if Ginobili was at full strength... Don't think James, Bosh & Wade are all great defensive players; they are great athletes playing with active hands and forcing turnovers; James is one of the worst defensive players in the NBA...
Wade played only 6 minutes in the entire 1st half, because of foul trouble and that USA. Argentina's zone defense did unsettle USA for a while the in the 2nd quarter, but once they started moving the ball a lot with quick passes, with lesser amount of dribbling, they were back on it. And I dont know why you even classify Wade as a 'defensive player'. He's a shooting guard. But, one has to admit, the second quarter of the game against Argentina was the first time team USA looked ragged and careless in this Olympics. More than half their field goal attempts were 3-pointers, which isnt a good sign anytime.

And I dont know why you even classify Wade as a 'defensive player'. He's a shooting guard.
Where did I say Wade was a "defensive player" And what does a position of a guy to do with whether he plays defense or not? Michael Jordan was a shooting guard/as is Kobe. Jordan was the greatest defensive guard ever(he was the greatest offensive guard as well, but that's besides the point)..... The point I was making was, the style of international ball and the style Team USA has chosen to play here(frenetic, ball hawking, turnover forcing ways) is basically something that takes their physical gifts into account... The Americans are the most athletic and the quickest team; besides being the most talented; they are not the best "team" if you know what I mean... I was just making the point that besides Dwight Howard, Kobe & Prince, NOBODY in this team will even make the NBA All-defensive 3rd team...

if you havent seen the match yet.. it was the best so far.. spain kept coming back at US.. points were scored from both end.. at one time in 4th quarter they were only 2 points ahead.. spain got into foul trouble for couple of people.. especially that 3 pt player.. but then it was KOBE - THE CLUTCH SHOOTER .. that save the game.. he is the best basketball player, after jordan, i have seen who is willing to take shots in any situation.. awesome leadership from Kobe..