Foul play in Bob death, cops confirm poisoning

Jamaica: Hours after the Pakistan Cricket Board revealed that the findings from a post-mortem into the death of Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer were "inconclusive", Pakistan's Geo TV on Wednesday claimed that the probe is now focusing on a murder angle. The Jamaican police later confirmed that Bob Woolmer indeed died of "poisoning". Geo TV's Sports Correspondent Kamran Abdul Mannan told CNN-IBN that the Commissioner of Kingston, Jamaica, is likely to hold a press conference shortly and the official word in the matter is still awaited. He said their Jamaican sources have revealed that "traces of poison" were found in Woolmer's body and this confirms that Woolmer actually died of "poisoning". He, however, said it was not yet clear whether it was a case of murder or a suicide. Mannan also revealed that the movement of the Pakistani cricket team has been restricted and all the players have been told to stay in their rooms. The Pakistan Cricket Board is also likely to hold a press conference later in the day. The Pakistani Urdu television network quoted the Jamaica police as claiming that the findings of the post-mortem have raised reasonable suspicion that Woolmer was actually murdered. The report came after further investigations were carried out by a toxicologist and a histologist (scientist who examines body tissue) into Woolmer's death. Earlier, the Pakistan Cricket Board had claimed that the findings from the post-mortem were "inconclusive". The press conference of the Pakistan Cricket Board was, however, held while the results of the toxicology and histology tests were still being awaited. Mark Shields, deputy commissioner of the Jamaican police constabulary (crime division), said the body could not be released until the pathologist had completed his examination. "I know that the scientists are treating it with the utmost urgency in order that we can hopefully repatriate the body to his family as soon as possible," Shields said. Asked when the scientists' conclusions would be available, Shields replied: "I just know they are working as quickly as possible to provide the information that we need. I hope it's today, but it could be tomorrow," he said on Wednesday. He added that it was quite normal for there to be delays over a post mortem findings and refused to speculate on the causes of the death. The police said Woolmer died in hospital at 1214 hours local time (1714 hours British time) on Sunday. Woolmer, 58, was found unconscious in his Kingston hotel room on Sunday after his team had been eliminated from the World Cup by debutants Ireland less than 24 hours earlier.

Re: Foul play in Bob death, cops confirm poisoning Gai ka dood gets FULLY vindicated! :eew: I knew from the start that it was not natural death that is why I kept arguing with some of you and kept saying KEEP AN OPEN MIND! I f@cking feel SAD that my gut feeling turned out right as I honestly wanted to be proven wrong. I just know too well the darkness that lurks inside the human mind :mad: I just woke up so I better read up on all this cr@p. India and Pakistan BOTH loosing on the same day to a minnow team---> COINCIDENCE???????

Re: Foul play in Bob death, cops confirm poisoning MAYBE NOT... Woolmer's death 'suspicious' - police Cricinfo staff March 21, 2007 Police are now treating Bob Woolmer's death as suspicious, Mark Shields, the deputy commissioner of police, told a news conference in Jamaica. A full-scale investigation has been ordered. "We have already informed the Woolmer family of these developments," Shields said. "Having met with the pathologists, our medical personnel and investigators, there is now sufficient information to continue a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Mr Woolmer, which we are now treating as suspicious." However, unconfirmed reports suggested Woolmer might have been murdered because marks were found around his neck. Shields said the police had been in close contact with the Pakistan team management, the Cricket World Cup committee and the ICC, but he would not speculate on the cause of Woolmer's death. "It would be inappropriate for me to make any comment at this stage as we have still not got the final official report from the pathologists," he said. Talat Ali, the Pakistan team manager, told Geo TV they had not been given full details by the police. "They have not made any reference to poisoning or anything yet, as some reports are suggesting," Ali said. "There is no information at all that this poison could be involved. Investigations will carry on so we cannot come to any conclusions right now." Ali denied Pakistan were not allowed to travel. "There are no police restrictions on the team," he said. "As planned for now, we are flying back on Saturday." Woolmer, 58, was found unconscious in his hotel room on Sunday and pronounced dead shortly after at a Jamaica hospital. Woolmer's family said after speaking to doctors they expected his death came from a stress-related heart attack. His wife Gill told CNN-IBN, an Indian news channel, he did not complain of any chest pain after the match. An autopsy completed on Tuesday was inconclusive, but investigators were waiting for the results of toxicology tests to see if they helped determine the cause

Re: Foul play in Bob death, cops confirm poisoning Mere bhai. This news is big enough to blow the top of world cricket. I an NOT buying anything that I will hear officially from anyone anymore. Take everything you hear with a BIG pinch of salt.

Re: Foul play in Bob death, cops confirm poisoning One thing is for sure it is definitely not of natural cause and that really hurts me. I can't quite fathom the fact that Woolmer had to go through forced pain before passing away. That is deeply saddening. :Cry: