Is IPL hurting Indian cricket?

Feed

Is IPL hurting Indian cricket?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Till IPL was not interrupting with our regular cricket, I had no problem in watching it. I even went to watch a match in Delhi though experience was not good even for those 3.5 hrs! But this year it nearly ate up three tests against a top side which was there in the FTP. Even after the damage control by BCCI, we still lost a test match which could have been a cracker. Besides that, it has completely messed up with our domestic cricket and I don't see how Indian cricket can survive in future through this kind kind of production of cricketers. Hence my complete boycott of IPL this season. I haven't watched a single match and don't intend to do so in future as well. Enough of this tamasha!

" To keep Indian players fresh for T20 WC-- Not my concern" Coach Robin Singh is not about to rest Zaheer or Harbhajan ahead of the T20 WC because for him, MI matters more. More... Not my concern Coach Robin Singh is not about to rest Zaheer or Harbhajan ahead of the T20 WC because for him, MI matters more By Amit Gupta Posted On Tuesday, April 06, 2010 In October last year, the Board of Control for Cricket in India sent out a terse one line statement to the media which read: “The BCCI has decided to discontinue the services of bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad and fielding coach Robin Singh with immediate effect.” The decision had come on the back of India’s poor show in the T20 World Championship in England and the Champions Trophy in South Africa. A closer look at the team’s performance will reveal that bowling and fielding were not entirely to be blamed for the loss. In the T20 World Championship it was injuries to key players Zaheer Khan and Virender Sehwag — suffered during IPL II, a few days before the Word Cup — which hurt the Indians. In South Africa, it was a collective failure on part of a jaded team. Much of the blame for the poor show in the multi-team events was attributed to the IPL. It prompted coach Gary Kirsten to say that Indian players suffered from a lack of intensity coupled with niggles because of having played the IPL 2 in South Africa. No takers Kirsten wanted some of the key players to be rested ahead of the next scheduled World Cup in West Indies. But now it is very clear that the coach’s pleas has no takers. Half-way into the third season and none of the teams are in a mood to provide rest to the Team India players who will be travelling to the West Indies. One team that is in a position to rest Caribbean-bound players is Mumbai Indians. They have 14 points from seven matches and as they prepare to take on Chennai Super Kings today, they’re assured of a semi-final berth. That said, Mumbai Indians coach Robin Singh made sure yesterday that there will be no rest for Zaheer Khan or Harbhajan Singh. “That’s really not my concern. My concern is to play the best team. Obviously we don’t want to lose the momentum. We have to make sure that all players are safe if we make it to the next stage, I don’t think we are in semis and we are a game away from that,” he said. When asked if there is case of resting the two and others like them to keep them fresh for the international assignment he was as candid as he could have been. “To be honest, I have no concern about the T20 World Cup,” said Robin. “My concern is this tournament. Which ever team I think is best on that day will play, as long as the player is available.” The former batting allrounder was just putting on record the biggest fears which the purists have. With time and the kind of money that they have invested, IPL team owners will be least bothered about the country. They surely have huge financial reasons to think like that and with the Indian board playing to their tunes, it will be just a matter of time before country starts coming after club. And as for the match, the hosts will be hoping that their bowling department comes good. In their last match against Rajathan Royals they had put 243 on board, thanks to a ton by Murali Vijay, but could only mange a 23 run win on a wicket that looks as flat as a cement track.

absolutely right.... IPL has been set at that particular time period coz of BCCI, each franchise is paying for their team players to perform for them, so obviously for them their team is more important than the country, after all its business.... its BCCI thats to be blamed for their timing of this tournament

Guest DeveGowda

Let us see if Other team coaches , especially forign coaches, tell same things what will be the response... ***personally i think what robin told is right..he was paid to his job..thts coaching Bombi's...:winky: Also if Franchise owners are least bothered about playing for country..i dont think why playesr also bother too much about playing for Country in future

IPL will kill Indian Cricket completely. The current crop of young players have been spoilt rich playing this McDonalds version of bastardized cricket. People who have no ability to survive 20 overs without slogging cannot dream of surviving 90 overs a day in a test against quality bowling whether swing, spin or pace. The fact that even players like Yuvraj are crap in tests and that Dhoni cannot bat against good bowling on good tracks outside India is a huge concern. The likes of Suresh Rainas struggled to reach even double figures in even JAMODIs in SA. Once the likes of Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid are gone, we will be the laughing stock in test cricket fit only to compete with Bangladesh, West Indies and Pakistan at the table bottom.

Take a look at example of Virat Kohli. He himself admitted he got carried away by the earlier glamour and money of IPL and lost focus of his India place and now he realizes his mistake when he has lost his place completely from the team. Ishant Sharma was the next great bowling sensation when he played for India in Aus 2 years back. Now look at what the excessive one day and T20 matches has done to the guy. He is now a train wreck who can't bowl one dot ball. Is this the same guy who claimed Punter session after session, test after test with his pace and swing 2 years back? This Ishant Sharma is even worse than Venkatesh Prasad when he retired and much worse than Irfan Pathan currently.

IPL will kill Indian Cricket completely. The current crop of young players have been spoilt rich playing this McDonalds version of bastardized cricket. People who have no ability to survive 20 overs without slogging cannot dream of surviving 90 overs a day in a test against quality bowling whether swing, spin or pace. The fact that even players like Yuvraj are crap in tests and that Dhoni cannot bat against good bowling on good tracks outside India is a huge concern. The likes of Suresh Rainas struggled to reach even double figures in even JAMODIs in SA. Once the likes of Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid are gone, we will be the laughing stock in test cricket fit only to compete with Bangladesh, West Indies and Parkistan at the table bottom.
If IPL becomes so big as to make international cricket less relevant, and the performances of the next generation of Indian cricketers in Test cricket comes down to the middle-of-the-table level, the whole IPL thing may try to pull away from BCCI and become an independent league. ICL failed because conventional cricket was still too important for players and BCCI was too powerful monetarily. Now BCCI is trying its best to make conventional cricket less important, and the owners of IPL teams are far more richer than BCCI. The owners may soon find that the players are ready to sacrifice international career just for IPL and that they have no need to share the revenues with BCCI. At which point they may try to break away.
IPL will kill Indian Cricket completely. The current crop of young players have been spoilt rich playing this McDonalds version of bastardized cricket. People who have no ability to survive 20 overs without slogging cannot dream of surviving 90 overs a day in a test against quality bowling whether swing, spin or pace. The fact that even players like Yuvraj are crap in tests and that Dhoni cannot bat against good bowling on good tracks outside India is a huge concern. The likes of Suresh Rainas struggled to reach even double figures in even JAMODIs in SA. Once the likes of Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid are gone, we will be the laughing stock in test cricket fit only to compete with Bangladesh, West Indies and Parkistan at the table bottom.
So fking what? Do all the so called "IPL will ruin batsmen" brigade go to a less paying job that is more important in the long run for the country, if they are actually still in India that is. Will they all become social workers to help the country? No? STFU and let players decide how they want to run their life.
So fking what? Do all the so called "IPL will ruin batsmen" brigade go to a less paying job that is more important in the long run for the country' date=' if they are actually still in India that is. Will they all become social workers to help the country? No? STFU and let players decide how they want to run their life.[/quote'] The players are not deciding what their priorities are. The BCCI is. The players who decided what the hell they wanted to do joined ICL and got thumbed out of cricket world completely. As custodians of the game in India it is BCCI's job to properly nurture talent and retain the importance of test cricket and developing the sport at grass roots level. They get massive tax breaks, free facilities and infrastructure at nominal rates. They have no right to monopolize sport the way they did by shutting ICL and certainly should not be selling the game short by playing IPL like corporate cricket and seeking tax breaks in the name if running a sport. If they want purely business, then let them stop this charade of 'developing the game' and officially declare they only want to play IPL all year long and pay the revenue in taxes they owe the nation. They can't run it as a 'sport', avail of clubs and venues facilities at peanuts prices and sell the game to private billionaires and disguise it as a national sport and steal from paying taxes while they ruin and corrupt young players at the same time. I have no problem if BCCI now wants to be strictly commercialize enterprise but they should stop using the word 'India' with the sport if they don't want to be accountable to the people and they should treat this whole business accordingly and stop fooling people and Govt in the name of running a 'sport' [which it clearly isn't now]. The govt spares no one like us where taxes are concerned in these times of high inflation then why should BCCI be allowed to get a way with a strictly commercial enterprise that involves private moneybags like Ambanis and Wadias? And why should the BCCI be allowed to monopolize this now elite sport and why should other private players like ICL be short-changed? Where is the fair play and a level playing field here? This is a national fraud. And if you can' see the problem, than learn to think things out more clearly before calling others to STFU next time. This is a place to debate and discuss and not a platform to abuse others for their democratic views.
Besides that' date=' it has completely messed up with our domestic cricket and I don't see how Indian cricket can survive in future through this kind kind of production of cricketers. Hence my complete boycott of IPL this season. I haven't watched a single match and don't intend to do so in future as well. Enough of this tamasha![/quote'] Remember I said this was the end of Indian Cricket in first the season and boycotted T20 since it's inception? Remember I boycotted the so called WC that we also won back then? Too date I have not watched a single match except one over where I wanted to see Sachin face Warne again for old time's sake and there too he went out second ball. My boycott on all T20 cricket is on too date. I don't mid if they turn the one days to a twenty 20 over innings format but this IPL is a strict no-no for me. Until fans realize this IPL is just for billionaires to get richer at the expense of our taxes and that it will kill our cricket and learn to boycott it, qunts like Modi and Pawar who have no business running any sport will continue to corrupt cricket and fool fans and milk it dry.
The players are not deciding what their priorities are. The BCCI is. The players who decided what the hell they wanted to do joined ICL and got thumbed out of cricket world completely. .
So you think ICL was promoting cricket in India? ICL was born to capitalize on the popularity of the game in India for monetary reasons without giving anything back to the game. BCCI is the one that provides funds grass root level cricket in India. It is the one that organizes under 15,17,19 etc cricket to select young crickets. It is also the one that funds Ranji cricketers, pay them, pay the umpires, take part of stadium costs etc. ICL does nothing. ICL is like the foreign company that goes to IIT to recruit and then move them abroad. Atleast in this case, taxes on remittance goes back to the Government of India to pay back for the subsidizing education. But in BCCI and ICL case, none of the money goes to BCCI. So basically BCCI funds to grow these crickets and then ICL takes them away. If BCCI loses its stream of revenue, then it will reduce its spending on grass roots level which will lead to fewer cricketers. So a successful ICL was very bad for cricket. Leaglly and morally, BCCI had the right to banish ICL and anyone who took part in it. The players are deciding their priorities. Noone forced Sachin to play in IPL. He does by his preference. Same goes for everyone in it. If Sachin wants to play more tests, then he could easily retire from IPL, go to Australia, SA or England to play domestic first class games. Noone is stopping them.
As custodians of the game in India it is BCCI's job to properly nurture talent and retain the importance of test cricket and developing the sport at grass roots level. They get massive tax breaks' date=' free facilities and infrastructure at nominal rates. They have no right to monopolize sport the way they did by shutting ICL and certainly should not be selling the game short by playing IPL like corporate cricket and seeking tax breaks in the name if running a sport. If they want purely business, then let them stop this charade of 'developing the game' and officially declare they only want to play IPL all year long and pay the revenue in taxes they owe the nation. They can't run it as a 'sport', avail of clubs and venues facilities at peanuts prices and sell the game to private billionaires and disguise it as a national sport and steal from paying taxes while they ruin and corrupt young players at the same time. [/quote'] Who said that BCCI doesnt support test cricket. It even went out of its way to make the TV rights holder to broadcast ranji games when it was a money drain. They increased the salary of everyone involved in it. What happened? Nobody watched it. Its pure supply and demand. If Indian public wants more IPL, then it is BCCI's job to provide it. It's job is to promote what the majority of Indian public wants and not a few message board elitist.
This is a national fraud. And if you can' see the problem, than learn to think things out more clearly before calling others to STFU next time. This is a place to debate and discuss and not a platform to abuse others for their democratic views.
Why so serious? You are being hypocritical here. Where do you work? Simple question isnt it. Govt. of India subsidizes education. So in effect, if you do not give back to the govt. of India, then you are in the same boat as someone who abandons test cricket and concentrates only on IPL. BCCI was getting tax breaks because it was working for the people of India and its cricket. All the Ambanis and wadias pay taxes just as they would in any of their other business. IPL was and is a business. So is everything else. The bottom line in everything in life is money. You work outside India or a private firm in India because it pays you more. BCCI capitalizes on IPL to make more money, which means more money to the players, which makes cricket a good career option which inturns makes more cricketers.

Zap - it is not just the economic model which is at fault. In fact I think a very good case can be made out in favour of the economic model. Lets just not assume that BCCI is doing this for the good of the game or for the players. That is the same as assuming that gladiatorial contests were organized in ancient times for the welfare of the bulls and the bears. Slightly divergent analogy but I am sure you see my point :).