Looking for Laptop

Cricketics

Re: Looking for Laptop

i am looking to buy a new laptop, any suggestions which one is good??? Budget below 1500 us bucks... Location USA
JUST helped a frnd of mine get one!!.. imho getting dell's is the best, get a dell, and get 2 year warranty, so whatever the fcuk happens to your laptop, it is under warranty, so they replace the parts, u dont have to worry about ANYTHING!!! here's what she got. Intel? Core? Duo T2250 (1.73GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife?(glossy) 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability 256MB ATI MOBILITY? RADEON? X1400 HyperMemory? Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps) Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate) 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 2 Year On-site Economy Plan Vista home basic(My uni gives vista business free, so no use in getting vista business/home premium from dell) price is 1029+tax.. so 1093.4 total!

Re: Looking for Laptop Get a dell if you want it to die on you, wait a few weeks and get it fixed for free. IMO, if you want a laptop, you can't go wron with Mac. Infact, laptops are the only place where i'd recommend a Mac notebook over any other to the average user.

Re: Looking for Laptop I got this one a few weeks ago: Was 1379, now it's 1449. Asus A8js: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=262648 CPU: Intel? Core?2 Duo Processors T7200 2GHz Video Card: NVidia GeForce Go7700 512MB :hail: :hmph: Hard Disk: SATA 120 GB supported Display: 14" WXGA+ (1440x900) LCD Built-in Webcam, Bluetooth, Wireless Weight: 5.2 lbs with battery

Re: Looking for Laptop Heres how i see laptops Sony - Lightweight,gd battery,excellent for mobile users but expensive Hp - Big and weighty but fast - more of a hybrid between mobile users and home users Dell - Big,weighty and unreliable Almost every company makes every kind of laptop....U basically need to decide wht u wanna do with it..Do u wanna play games on it, move around with a lot, use predominantly for high calculation programs or media oriented...... Its like ordering a subway sandwich...u need to specifically know wht u want.

Re: Looking for Laptop It depends....Most universities and companies provide s/w and programs that are compatible with windows OS for free.....some univs provide windows vista and its future upgrades for free too..So if his univ provides vista, he can buy a vista laptop without the OS or older OS and save 100s.

Re: Looking for Laptop

Varun, Mac isnt for everyone i agree- but i find that applicable to the case of desktop only. In terms of Laptops, Macs are the best thing going around easily IMO.
Hehe, don't wanna get into a heated debate, but they're far from the best thing for technical people atleast.

Re: Looking for Laptop I have a gateway and an HP.... Gateway is crap.... major breakdown every year... one year, it is a short inside, or the display hinge gets broken cos of stress.... i liked the HP.... very impressed.... been 2 yrs now and not a single issue...

Re: Looking for Laptop Saw one yesterday Gateway, AMD x2 processor 1.83GHz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, 256 MB shared video memory; Windows Vista Home Premium; 17" View Brite Widescreen; Double Layer (i.e. uses the 8GB DVD as well), lighscribe DVD+/-RW. All for just $699. Available at Best Buy. I recently got one, but i think i could have got it a bit cheaper: HP DV2000, AMD x2 processor 1.83GHz, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, 256 MB shared video memory; Windows XP; 14.1" Viewbrite Widescreen; DL DVD+/-RW. Paid $749 (but then again i bought it last december).

Re: Looking for Laptop Two options. If you want Windows based then go for IBM(or Lenovo ya Lenoko whatever is the name). If you want really the best one out there go for Mac. Costly yes but far ahead of Windows based laptops. Then again like people have mentioned above you need to know what exactly you want it for as Macs may have issues with some software and all. Of course you can always go for Dell. Best bang for the buck out there but leave a lot to be impressed really. That said you can get a very decent configuration for 1500 USD in Dell while Mac, even IBM for that matter, would have next to base model for that price. Go for Dell.