Benn, Steyn and spitting

I heard Steyn spat at Benn. Quoting from cricinfo:

I am cut and pasting what I wrote at the time of the event: " Oh dear. Controversy: Steyn spat on the ground to the right of Benn' . Controversial scenes here. It could balloon into something ugly. Benn got close to Steyn and was seen laughing. Tauntingly. Or so it appears. That seemed to angry Steyn and he spat to the right of Benn.At the ground. Not on Benn but I can't believe he spat in the first place. Oh what a mess. Benn is enraged, takes a step or two towards Steyn who walks away. The umpires get into act and talk to Benn. Oh dear what has Steyn done here. The provocation seems to be the fact that Benn laughed. Perhaps there is something more in the history between the two, perhaps this was a reaction to the past battles between Benn and South African players. Whatever be the catalyst, it seems to have got to Steyn. Match referee has to surely get into this. He will look at the provocation and the reaction. It will be interesting to see what he will decide. Surely, Steyn can't get away with this. Unless of course, the judge decides the provocation was very strong. It's going to be a very interesting hearing later on. And what about Benn: Will he take stock of the situation after this and mellow down a bit? In his brief career so far, he seems to have already got into a few controversies.
Thats one of the worst reactions ever from a player. I hope the match referee deals with this strictly.

Hmm, haven’t seen the video so cannot make a objective judgment. But reading the excerpt seems like Steyn spat to the side of Benn, not directly at him or worse, on him. What these days, you’re not even allowed to spit by the side of a player as you glare at him? Not to say that is necessarily a good thing, but fast bowlers spit all the time. Its not like he showed him the finger or anything. The worst part is, given the color of the players involved, the usual racial undertones will start surfacing and I hope we stay clear of that. There are plenty of racists in this world, but not everything or everyone is driven by it. Let’s stay clear of it, at least until proven otherwise.

Steyn spat at Benn' date=' doesnt matter if the spit hits benn or not. The thing is I get the feeling spitting is seen by West Indies as pretty degrading coming from a white south african so obviously there will be the race issue.[/quote'] First things first.... you NEVER EVER try to mess with a "colored" individual. Secondly, yes, it can translate into a race issue, but well South Africa might be able to use its influence to water-down charges against Steyn. I hope, for once, an example is made out of an African. They are very badly behaved and generally tend to get away with all their indiscretions. This is intolerable. Worse than what Gautam did and just as bad as what Mitchell did.

Seems like Steyn didn't take kindly to being roughed up, something which he thinks is alright when he does it. Karma has its way of finding you, Dale. You make people jump around and swear at them... someone someday returns you the favour. Thats why humility is the hallmark of an individual. Look at Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid !

Seems like Steyn didn't take kindly to being roughed up, something which he thinks is alright when he does it. Karma has its way of finding you, Dale. You make people jump around and swear at them... someone someday returns you the favour. Thats why humility is the hallmark of an individual. Look at Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid !
Well said. I saw the video and I think both Benn and Steyn should be punished. Benn really needs to be controlled. He just cant resist getting into trouble.