How do u feel about living away from home ??

Ram

I assume there are lots of people living away from home.. how do u feel living away from home ? I have heard behind the back comments made mockingly against indians who go abroad for a living.. i aint tryin to strt this old arguement of brain drain here.. . Just that , the oppurtunities back home are also gettin better and lucrative.. If given a chns , how many of you will relocate to India ?

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ?? how do i feel living away from home? well, its different, but its not bad, has its advantages and disadvantages. Flipside is you are away from family and friends, on the other hand, education(the reason I'm in the US), is better than what it is in India. Yes, its hard, to leave all friends, family, home at a teen age, and settle in a different country, but u gotta fight it out, and once you get over the first couple'o'months, its fun :wtg: I dont think you can judge and mock anyone who goes abroad for a living. You do not know under what circumstances the person has moved abroad, and even if you do, heck its his life, let him do what he wants to do with it, you live your own life instead. Brain Drain, i dont buy that crap man, if opportunities arent good enough, people are gonna move abroad, rather than moaning about it, we should do something about it. Its every man for himself in this world, I am not going to stay in India, just because its my country, i will first look after my own well-being and then i will look after my country. People are not going to waste opportunities to improve their lifestyle, their income, their standard of living, just to stay in their birth country. Atleast, majority of them arent. that said, opportunities back home are getting better and lucrative, I wouldnt mind moving back to India, if I get a good job, and its something I am happy with.

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ?? met a guy th other day.. He was obsessed with immigrating into the US for the long term . Said how he had workd in India and then come here nd found that US much better in many aspects.. ( amenities , freedom to info , choices of lifestyl etc etc..) And bout the relocating part , i had companies coming to my university looking for grad students willin to work in india in their india office.. And i heard texas instruments is offering $70 K per year for PhD students to work in their Bangalore office..

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ?? dont know th link.. Friend of mine is in Ohio state... he said there were looking for guys in RF/analog electronics area.... dont kno much more details.. Over here , flextronics were looking for guys to work in the chennai office..

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ??

70k while living in India!! Send me a link...........ASAP!!
Roger Roger. Bravo charlie requesting an encore of Swetabh's request ! Hmm...live in India for a couple of years and come back with a shitload of moolah..i could do that. Scroo my middle-east plan.

how do u feel living away from home ?
Love it. I came to USA rather reluctantly. I was very happy in Bombay with my life and career and kept declining my company's offer to come abroad. After 2 years of requests they threatened to fire me if I didnt go and I said what the heck and ended up here. Once I was here I saw a different side of life. I was on my own. Didnt have any relatives in USA. There were some college friends of course. But slowly I made my own circle in USA. One thing that worked in my favour was that I had no fascination for coming to USA. So that feeling made me give two hoots whether I was kicked back to India and hence I ended up enjoying life more and worried less about my next project, green card and stuff like that. Today I am my own person. I cook twice a day(breakfast and dinner), take care of my career, have good friends and a sense of confidence that if I had to redo this I could do this all over again.
If given a chns , how many of you will relocate to India ?
Absolutely. I am hoping to be back in India by the end of this decade if not earlier. xxx

Hometown..capital of saurashtra..
Nice. Kinda threw me off really. I mean I was thinking more along the lines of you-know Bombay, Delhi, Bangalore..possibly Ahmedabad but your hometown was not exactly a city that beamed on my radar. Quite a prosperous city though. If you dont mind me asking would you be making a switch from what you do currently?

Re: How do u feel about living away from home ?? Its a kind of mixed feeling for me living here in US. I came 3 yrs back for my Masters'... been working since a while. Though I have a good circle of friends, nearly knew most of the desi graduate people in my batch in my university, still sometimes its different from the friend circle in India. I know about lucrative job offers in India but most of them are good for only experience people...

Your idea to make a switch in career is excellent. Any good ideas for people who are tired of this IT job?
Good question HC. I am personally one of those who belong in that category of switching jobs(specially from IT). Its not that I do not like my profession, I love it really, but I do not see myself doing this the rest of my life. Maybe 5-10 year tops. What would I want to do if I switch? Well thats a million dollar question and something that I havent figured out yet. One thing I know is that I would be self-employed. The options I am looking at are - gym(or health based), education and healthcare. The latter two are, in my opinion, going to be booming in next few years. I mean you are in Bombay/Delhi or Patna/Bhopal you want your kid to study in a good school but how many good schools are out there? Same with healthcare. With Indian economy going up this is an area that can be tapped. And gym is something close to my heart..dont really mind if I dont make a lot of money so long as my costs are covered. Just some random shootings in the dark for now, lets see how things pan out eventually. xxxx