"MADE IN CHINA" Doctors in India

WC2011INDIA

Yunnan Province, China: Twenty eight Chinese universities are promoting their MBBS degrees and are top picks for Indians. Dali University - one of the top universities in China is busy promoting their MBBS course - the top pick of several aspiring Indian students. Bimbadhar and Vamshi Krishna from Andhra Pradesh was readily accepted in this university four years back along with 300 others from their state after failing to make the grade back home. And not just the Dali University, 27 other universities across China are producing "Made in China" Indian doctors. "The most important reason for me to come here is because I wish to become a doctor and I couldn’t clear the exams in India," said Bimbadhar, Medical Student, Dali University. It’s the money which makes Chinese universities the new Mecca for Indian MBBS students. The average tution fees range only between Rs 1 Lakh to Rs 2 Lakh per year. Just Rs 70,000 more is needed to cover boarding and lodging expenses. In India, the same course usually cost four times more at the very least. Every year, thousands of Indian students come to China in such universities to study medicine since early 2000, this knowing fully well that till recently, their MBBS degrees were not accepted back home. The Medical Council of India conducts a screening test for 'made in China" Indian doctors before they are allowed to practice. But Chinese University heads say that is not their problem. "They have a certificate issued by MCI but they realised that this a good university. So far, we don’t have nay problem," said Liu Ming, Director, International Exchange, Dali University. Last year, 3000 students went to 28 such Chinese universities to study medicine. Since 2003, nearly 25,000 Indian students have arrived here. The attraction is not just lower fees but simple admission procedures. Students who score marks of 70 per cent in Class 12 are eligible for admission. But students here complain that while studying medicine, they are forced to learn Chinese as well due to lack of English speaking faculty. "The hospital could not teach us in English so we have to dedicate our time in learning Chinese," said Bimbadhar, Medical Student, Dali University Yet, China has emerged as the new game changer for aspiring Indian doctors when they fail to make the cut in India.
Wow.....I thought China's education standards were just as high as India's i.e. competitive exams for getting admission in top colleges and universities. I also didn't know that education in China is cheaper than India. It's kinda funny and sad though.....mass production of doctors. I hope no one here got an operation or something from a Made in China doctor. If my mps3 player is any indication......I fear for my deshwasis.. :nervous:

its because people are forced to look for options aboard specially in the countries like china and Russia .Not everyone can give donation of 25 lakhs or so to get admission in private college . This is outright stupid to judge those doctors on the basis of the quality of mp3 players .