BCCI issues warning over unofficial league

King

The BCCI warned its players against joining unapproved competitions in a bid to counter the Indian Cricket League being planned for September. More... BCCI issues warning over unofficial league June 25, 2007 20:09 IST The Board of Control for Cricket in India has warned its players against joining unapproved competitions in a bid to counter a new league being planned in September.

The Indian Cricket League is being set up by the Essel Group, which controls the country's biggest listed media firm Zee Telefilms, despite the Board refusing permission this month. "No member association, present or former players deriving monetary or other benefits from the board, including the welfare scheme, shall in any manner associate themselves with the organisation and conduct of such unapproved tournaments/matches," the Board said in a letter to its affiliated teams. "Any infringement of the above...the members/players will stand to lose all benefits and privileges conferred upon them by the board," it said, referring to incentives such as pensions given to former players by the Board. Former India captain Kapil Dev [

Images] and ex-England skipper Tony Greig have joined the board of the ICL. Dean Jones, the former Australia batsman, and ex-India wicketkeeper Kiran More are also on the ICL's board while former India batsman Sandeep Patil has joined the league as a coach. More quit as secretary of Baroda following the board's directive. "I received the letter from the Board as secretary of the Baroda association," More told Reuters on Monday. "I realised I cannot do both." The ICL plans a six-team Twenty20 event and hope to field four foreigners and two current India players in each side.

Idiots, they can't pick a coach but they threaten players of consequences even before the ICL can take off. The same freakin stupid guys organize stupid ODIs in every nook and corner of the world. I would say the players should give ICL a try and put BCCI in its place.

Well , i dont see whats wrong with this. ANY professionel organization has a "right of duty" over its paid/contracted employees. BCCI is doing what any entity would have done. However , i am wondering if term 'professionel organization' and BCCI actually go together.

"right of duty" to speculate and warn? They have included pretty much every freakin person that has played cricket for India (read current/former players) just because they are drawing post career welfare. Does that mean a person drawing pension from X-Employer cannot seek employment elsewhere? What rubbish rule is that?

In a nutshell BCCI is threatened by the ICL and they know they have no chance if the ICL takes off really well. BCCI has money power but won't spend a dollar more on grass root, coach and now they don't even pay players on time. As for ICL they may not have the best players but they will have a good management and they will run it professionally. You reckon the likes of Sharad Pawar and the rest stand a chance against the well oiled management proficient professionals in ICL?

"No member association, present or former players deriving monetary or other benefits from the board, including the welfare scheme, shall in any manner associate themselves with the organisation and conduct of such unapproved tournaments/matches," You are right Ravi. This above directive , i dont think will stand in a court of law. There is nothing legally binding that prevents past players from being in the payroll of ICL and still get pension benefits from BCCI.

In a nutshell BCCI is threatened by the ICL and they know they have no chance if the ICL takes off really well. BCCI has money power but won't spend a dollar more on grass root' date=' coach and now they don't even pay players on time. As for ICL they may not have the best players but they will have a good management and they will run it professionally. You reckon the likes of Sharad Pawar and the rest stand a chance against the well oiled management proficient professionals in ICL?[/quote'] You are right. BCCI will do all it can to stop these guys in their efforts. I have one BIG doubt. Where will these matches be held ? The grounds are owned/controlled by the state associations, and these assns. are under BCCI's control.

Good question. I'm not sure how the set up is in India but here in NZ or in Australia the grounds are owned by corporates that can be leased by anyone (even you if you have enough moolah to spend). Hence the grounds are named Westpactrust, Telstra et al If ICL is ready to take off in October then I'm sure they must have sorted this out. I think it is a good concept but the project will suffer with no current players playing it.