Why Bhaji will watch pal Monty with envy

King

The 'Turbanator' should be locking horns with his ‘dear friendÂ’ and fellow Sikh icon Monty Panesar this week, but instead he is aiming to galvanise SurreyÂ’s championship salvage operation — and waiting for the phone to ring134383442More... Why Bhaji will watch pal Monty with envy By CHRIS FOY - Last updated at 00:57am on 17th July 2007 The 'Turbanator' should be locking horns with his 'dear friend' and fellow Sikh icon Monty Panesar this week, but instead he is aiming to galvanise Surrey's championship salvage operation — and waiting for the phone to ring. Harbhajan Singh missed the cut when India's selection panel announced their squad for the tour of England, despite his status as one of the world's premier spinners. On the sub-continent, where 'Bhaji' — as he is affectionately known — is revered as a cult hero, there was outrage. On these shores, the response has been part relief, part disbelief.

072harb_468x770.jpg
Last week, Kevin Pietersen admitted he was surprised that he would not have to face the 27-year-old off-break maestro. Then, while assessing the Indian threat, Andrew Flintoff asked: "Is Harbhajan over?" and was clearly shocked to discover that he was, but only on the staff at The Oval. This is a player who has established a huge reputation since leading Australia a merry dance in 2001. He has 19 five-wicket hauls, three of them against England, and has soared to as high as No 3 in the world rankings. What does he think? Is he incensed about being dropped? In the interests of not burning bridges, he errs on the side of diplomacy, refusing to throw stones. Yet, while insisting he is glad to be treading the county boards again, Harbhajan makes no secret that he craves a swift return to the big stage. And he is hoping this series may not pass him by after all. "A tour of England is always special," he said. "So when I wasn't picked I thought to myself, 'Let's try to keep playing competitive cricket, keep fit and keep taking wickets'. You never know when you might be called upon. You have to keep yourself ready because there might be injuries. "I've performed against every country, taken wickets and won matches on my own. I'll definitely get back into the Indian team. I've only just turned 27 but I've taken 238 Test wickets and not many people have managed that by my age. I've got plenty of years left to play for India but for now I'll use this time to improve and come back even better." Thursday's start of the first npower Test at Lord's will set in motion a contest between two strong batting teams short on high-calibre bowling resources. India are without the raw but explosive Munaf Patel while England's casualty list features Steve Harmison, Andrew Flintoff, Simon Jones and Sajid Mahmood. As a result, much will hinge on the spin battle; Anil Kumble versus Monty. Harbhajan will look on from afar, wishing he could help his mentor overcome his mate. "Monty is a very dear friend of mine and it's great to see him doing so well," he said. "I've never seen an England spinner take as many wickets and win as many games as he has in such a short space of time. "We get on very well. He is a Sikh, too, so we have that connection. Because of his background, when he does well, people in India think he is 'our boy'. He's a very good bowler and I wish him luck in this series, but not too much! It will be tough for him because the Indian batsmen play spin very well." Harbhajan is determined to mark his second stint at Surrey with enough wickets to propel them up the LV County Championship, Division One table. He had a hand in the home victory over Durham last week and is determined to help maintain that momentum against Yorkshire at Headingley over the weekend. As for the Test series, he believes India — powered by their veteran middle order — can triumph with or without him.
Last week, Kevin Pietersen admitted he was surprised that he would not have to face the 27-year-old off-break maestro. Then, while assessing the Indian threat, Andrew Flintoff asked: "Is Harbhajan over?" and was clearly shocked to discover that he was, but only on the staff at The Oval.
Didn't know he's rated so highly. To me he hasn't done enough in test cricket over the last couple of years or three to warrant a place in the team. He may have a reputation but I haven't seen him take wickets in heap for a long time now.

" "I've performed against every country, taken wickets and won matches on my own. I'll definitely get back into the Indian team. " - Harbhajan is back to what he does best. Loud mouth. He should shut up and start performing instead !