Why exactly is Tendulkar in the odi team???

Why exactly is Tendulkar in the odi team???  

1. 1.

• To "guide" youngsters like Jadeja in the team
    • To get his 100th 100 as he knows he's gonna struggle in Tests
    • He wanted to have a longer vacation in Aus so he came "back" for Aussie tri series
    • Can't say. It's a head scratcher and I have no clue

Just because he didn't play some young players got their oppotunities and could get a run for India. He could've anyway played and notched up some centuries. Not doing that shows he's doing the right thing and allowing the youngsters to get some games. It's another matter that those youngsters did jackshit today.
The match was done and dusted after the 1st innings itself. We didn't have firepower to chase 217 in 32 overs with no Sehwag and with batsmen like Jaddu at no. 7
Well two years in a long time. But last time, which is not even 1 year ago, when player in question played for India, in a major tournament (WC), he was the highest scorer for India and that too by a margin. You want to drop a player after that without giving him a chance to fail? If you want to drop a player to give an youngster a chance, then pick least performer of the tourney, not the best.
No, I want players to be available for every game and let selectors make the call whether someone needs to be rested or not. I don't want players to decide which game they want to play based on their mood.
The match was done and dusted after the 1st innings itself. We didn't have firepower to chase 217 in 32 overs with no Sehwag and with batsmen like Jaddu at no. 7
Sehwag would have scored 5 runs. But frankly, we should be able to chase 7.5 runs an over with the kind of exposure our youngsters get from IPLs. They could not simply handle the pace and bounce and looked pretty much clueless. I wonder what's gonna happen in Perth now. :hmmm:
No' date=' we are suggesting we play players who want to play in odis. No point in backing a 39 year old has-been who selectively chooses which games to play and hasn't played a odi game since the WC and has sat out 3 odi series (IIRC) before this tri-series even though he showed up in IPL. Shows where his priorities lie.[/quote'] :confused: He was injured in the England ODI series. If he played at home, there would be swords out to say how he denied a youngster a place in the team for outings at home. The current approach is right- He plays overseas ODI series and not at home in easier conditions where youngsters can take over the mantle.
No' date=' I want players to be available for every game and let selectors make the call whether someone needs to be rested or not. I don't want players to decide which game they want to play based on their mood.[/quote'] Srinath chose which games he wanted to play in all his life. Nothing wrong with that if you have limited strength.
Sehwag would have scored 5 runs. But frankly' date=' we should be able to chase 7.5 runs an over with the kind of exposure our youngsters get from IPLs. They could not simply handle the pace and bounce and looked pretty much clueless. I wonder what's gonna happen in Perth now. :hmmm:[/quote'] Out of this lineup only Raina and maybe Rohit could have chased such a high RR from the start. Jaddu is good only for bashing spinners on dead tracks and small ground. He can't do much here. I would rather we have Yusuf Pathan or Uthappa batting at 7. At least they give you a reasonable hope we may be able to chase a stiff target.
No' date=' I want players to be available for every game and let selectors make the call whether someone needs to be rested or not. I don't want players to decide which game they want to play based on their mood.[/quote'] In either case Sachin is going to draw criticism. If he plays every single series, then it would be that he is going for records and not skipping even not so important series to give a young guns a chance. And when he is doesn't do that, he is accused of playing GOD by picking and skipping series as per his choice.
Srinath chose which games he wanted to play in all his life. Nothing wrong with that if you have limited strength.
As a fast bowler he should and same with Zak. Srinath was struggling with a bum shoulder and rotor cuff injury by the end of his career and he had to be managed given the paucity of fast bowling resources. But a batsman can't pick and choose unless he's injured especially when he has been sitting at home doing nothing.
As a fast bowler he should and same with Zak. Srinath was struggling with a bum shoulder and rotor cuff injury by the end of his career and he had to be managed given the paucity of fast bowling resources. But a batsman can't pick and choose unless he's injured especially when he has been sitting at home doing nothing.
At 38, a batsman's body also limits him severely. He can only be fit enough for a few number of matches. What is the harm with Sachin sitting out in home matches and giving youngsters opportunities?
No' date=' [b']I want players to be available for every game and let selectors make the call whether someone needs to be rested or not. I don't want players to decide which game they want to play based on their mood.
Lets say Yuvraj expresses his availability for some ODI series in July/August.. what should be the criteria for his selection/rejection? Btw, it is selector's prerogative to select the best 15-16 from the list of available players. And players should have every right to express (un)availability for any given series.
This would be our side without SRT/Sehwag. Rahane would be thrust into an opener position - something which he doesnt normally play at. Gambhir Rahane Kohli RG Sharma Raina Dhoni Jaddu PK/Zak Three out of VK/Yadav/Ashwin/Rahul sharma
This team will struggle to score 100 against either SL or Aus :giggle: