Who's the best Sachin, Lara or Ponting - Gavaskar, Shastri, Bhogle and Sambit Bal

King

I'm watching one of the video that discusses the best batsman of the 3 of the current era Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting. Harsha Bhogle is chairing the discussion and with him are Ravi Shastri, Gavaskar and Sambit Bal. Anyone that has read cricinfo will know Sambit Bal. The one that always is ready to put Tendulkar down. Surprise surprise, now after the ESPNSTAR has bought Cricinfo there is a complete turn around as for his views about Tendulkar is concerned. Either that is because he is sitting with Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri around and cannot hold his own or he has completely swayed. In this discussion he's backing Tendulkar over Ponting or Lara. He's saying Ponting isn't too good because he hasn't runs in India. He also says Tendulkar has scored against better bowlers in the 90s as against Ponting. So much for writing crap against Tendulkar every other week he's now seen some light thanks to Gavaskar and Shastri. I don't say he should say Tendulkar is the best but am surprised how he makes a complete U-Turn here. :D Here we go listen to it

http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701' standby='Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components...' type='application/x-oleobject'> http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/' id='mediaPlayer' name='mediaPlayer' displaysize='4' autosize='-1' bgcolor='darkblue' showcontrols="true" showtracker='-1' showdisplay='0' showstatusbar='-1' videoborder3d='-1' width="320" height="285" src="http://www.indiancricketfans.com/files/Whosbest.mp3" autostart="false" designtimesp='5311' loop="false">
Launch in external player
Sambit Lal didnt come across as too intelligent. He made many errors. The less said of Gavaskar , the better. Shastri was by and large quiet.
I thought Gavaskar made a lot of sense. No doubt Tendulkar is pretty much perfect in his batting. Although I do criticize Tendulkar at times if I had a penny and had to chose to watch one of the three it will be Tendulkar. Ponting will be the last in the list. I think he's quite fair when he says the Aussies don't quite say Warnie wasn't good in India, Lillee never played in India, Ponting hasn't runs in India and the rest. You can google and find 100s of articles about short falls of Tendulkar in the last couple of years or three but you can't find much on say Warnie's or Ponting's odd record in India and in particular by the past Aussie greats or their journos. Although it sounds quite harsh I think Gavaskar's pretty much on the money.

Three great batsmen. From my point of view, it's a non issue simply because all 3 have not faced their own attacks on their home wickets and not played under identical circumstances. I present these stats simply for interest. --------------------------- Runs per Test SRT: 80 BCL: 91 RTP: 85 ---------------------------------- Number of Tests per century or better SRT: 3.78 BCL: 3.85 RTP: 3.33 ----------------------------------- Number of Tests per fifty or better SRT: 1.7 BCL: 1.6 RTP: 1.6 ---------------------------------- Considering 25 or less as a failure in Tests, SRT has 102 of these in his 226 innings. 45% failure rate. BCL: 100/232 = 43% RTP: 75/183 = 41% -------------------------------------------- Averages: Career - As captain SRT: 55 - 51 BCL: 53 - 58 RTP: 59 - 66 ----------------------------------------- Average in last 25 Tests SRT: 46 BCL: 51 RTP: 71 ------------------------------