Blog: Urban Gypsy | Girl Molested in Delhi Metro General Compartment

Stuge

I guess its more to do with realization that "Civilized" isnt just about reminiscing abt how our ancestors were so developed even when the western world was still in the Dark ages and tom-toming abt how great a civilization we are. All along we have been conditioned such that we think its ok to throw garbage onto the streets as long as our house is clean, that its ok to shove your way through a queue, etc etc (List is too long)...No, its not that most NRIs are pompous, its just that we all experience things that we wish we had back home.
Of course NRIs are pompous, they just don't realize it.:winky: First up, I am not piling on you and yes I absolutely can understand your frustration. But where I think NRIs typically go wrong is they fail to see how Western world works and how it has developed. People in the West stand up for themselves. Try blowing whistle at a girl in a train, or gym or your neighborhood and see what happens. The cops will arrive later, and yes they would be fair and everything but chances are the girl will confront you right away. And if she has a boyfriend he will beat you up. This is my familiar gripe with NRI. We savor the delight that the West has to offer without realizing we did nothing really. It was somebody else, in this Westerns. Then we go home and find bad scenario and we wish we had errrr maybe more Westerns? Maybe it is time we learnt not only technology and economics and Hollywood? Maybe we also learnt standing for ourselves? :winky:

Of course NRIs are pompous, they just don't realize it.:winky: First up, I am not piling on you and yes I absolutely can understand your frustration. But where I think NRIs typically go wrong is they fail to see how Western world works and how it has developed. People in the West stand up for themselves. Try blowing whistle at a girl in a train, or gym or your neighborhood and see what happens. The cops will arrive later, and yes they would be fair and everything but chances are the girl will confront you right away. And if she has a boyfriend he will beat you up. This is my familiar gripe with NRI. We savor the delight that the West has to offer without realizing we did nothing really. It was somebody else, in this Westerns. Then we go home and find bad scenario and we wish we had errrr maybe more Westerns? Maybe it is time we learnt not only technology and economics and Hollywood? Maybe we also learnt standing for ourselves? :winky:
Ha ha I am sure you werent piling on me. I know we have few ladies here and am sure they will vouch for the fact that they can stand up for themselves. But the difference IMO here is that the a'holes here think its ok to do whatever they want under the cloak of anonymity but dare not do the same in their own localities because of shame as the blog mentions. Also, the urban-rural mentality divide that is being closed by rapid urbanization is a big factor.

Of course NRIs are pompous, they just don't realize it.:winky: First up, I am not piling on you and yes I absolutely can understand your frustration. But where I think NRIs typically go wrong is they fail to see how Western world works and how it has developed. People in the West stand up for themselves. Try blowing whistle at a girl in a train, or gym or your neighborhood and see what happens. The cops will arrive later, and yes they would be fair and everything but chances are the girl will confront you right away. And if she has a boyfriend he will beat you up.
In India we live in system where we all have hierarchy .somebody should just try to whistle a girl who belongs to some influential family and see what happens too you, but if the girl belongs to family which has has hardly any power then the scene will be entirely different.Also boyfriends , brothers beating for their GF's , sisters is also common in India

This reminds me of another incident in Delhi - people just do not mind their business. I am at New Delhi Railway Station (long distance train) waiting for a Rajdhani. If it is Delhi and it's December there is fog and trains are delays. So, I decided to make a few calls to my friends, family etc. I spend like 1.5 hours on phone calling people I haven't done in the past 6 months. After I am done, this mahaashay from nowhere comes up to me and says Bhaisahaab, Aaj bahut phone pe lage ho :facepalm: What I said next to him is better not revealed. :D
:hmmmm2:

I dont see what wrong the guy did? In small villages its very common for people to strike up conversations with complete strangers. In fact its the city folks who have got ruder and react like you did
LOL! That's something to be upset about? What was wrong in saying' date=' [i']Bas Bhaisaahab popularity hi itni hai or if you were genuinely upset just ignored and walked away.
Look - it differs from person to person & place to place. Text also misses the tone in which he said that which was more towards the kind of "lecturing" kind. In any case, there are other ways to start a conversation than "I know what you did last summer" which I do not mind and do so in the train. The same train had a fabulous uncle from Gurgaon who spoke quite well throughout my journey. Also, could not just walk away as the station was crowded like hell and had 4 bags of luggage close to 35 kg with me.
Thats polite dilli wala' date=' if he really wanted to get under your skin his sentence would have started with behen and ended with ke.[/quote'] He did a couple of those words in that sentence I edited it out.

Women should be allowed to legally carry and use small weapons like pen knives and screw drivers in public transport.When men realize that the woman they are trying to rub against might be carrying a little knife...they might not be tempted to take out their little dick from their pants.

Women should be allowed to legally carry and use small weapons like pen knives and screw drivers in public transport.When men realize that the woman they are trying to rub against might be carrying a little knife...they might not be tempted to take out their little dick from their pants.
:facepalm: Reminds me of this 9jz0cI0ELj0

That is a scripted scene.What happens with most woman in crowded places is a nightmare.
I understand beetle and I empathize. I have raptaud quite a few men too but this does not change the solution. My mom used to tell me that in 1970s all these men used to run like dogs between their tails when Kiran Bedi was around :giggle:

Kitne acha likhay hain aap... dilli mein stand karaingay to koi goli maar dega .. agar nahi marega aur aap usko peet bhi deein to police akay aapki **** mein danda de degi. Havent you read the articles where people stood up for their friends and ended up dying with janta staring at them and police arriving 30 mins after the incident from a thana less than 5 mins away ? This reminds me of an incident in Melbourne when I was going to a restaurant in downtown with my wife, friend and his sister and some desi dood said " OH BC ladki dekh" .. I turned around and said " Dubara bolega to yahin pe gaadh doonga , bol kya bolega " they were 7 guys and it was 2 of us but I didnt care as I knew they didnt have weapons nor that police will come and ask money ( plus I knew they were fattu international students, who are always scared of cops) . I stood because I felt he was insulting us, his friends just said "sorry sorry .. rehne do" . If this scene was to happen in Dilli then in 15 mins there would be college goons driving to the scene with lath and revolvers, thats the difference.

Kitne acha likhay hain aap... dilli mein stand karaingay to koi goli maar dega .. agar nahi marega aur aap usko peet bhi deein to police akay aapki **** mein danda de degi.
:haha: Yaar ek baat batao, seriously, tum saale Dilli/Bambai waalon ko bahut takleef hai?? Not making it state based now but rarely do I hear a Bihari complaining ke uski gf ko ched diya kissi ne. Try karo dekho kaise Maa-behan karta hai. Yaa phir ghar pahoonchega apna gang lekar. This Biharism, if you will, was something I saw routinely in Bombay as well. Parle aur Pali Hill waale larke would complain ke how West is good, it was the Marathi ghaati paar janta who would stand up to the goons. Sophistication makes people soft? perhaps :--D By the way I dont disagree with your larger notion, but all I am saying is itna dar dar ke sirf complain kyun karna bhai? Tum poora Rachel Maddow ho gaye ho MSNBC dekh kar :nice:

Kitne acha likhay hain aap... dilli mein stand karaingay to koi goli maar dega .. agar nahi marega aur aap usko peet bhi deein to police akay aapki **** mein danda de degi. Havent you read the articles where people stood up for their friends and ended up dying with janta staring at them and police arriving 30 mins after the incident from a thana less than 5 mins away ? This reminds me of an incident in Melbourne when I was going to a restaurant in downtown with my wife, friend and his sister and some desi dood said " OH BC ladki dekh" .. I turned around and said " Dubara bolega to yahin pe gaadh doonga , bol kya bolega " they were 7 guys and it was 2 of us but I didnt care as I knew they didnt have weapons nor that police will come and ask money ( plus I knew they were fattu international students, who are always scared of cops) . I stood because I felt he was insulting us, his friends just said "sorry sorry .. rehne do" . If this scene was to happen in Dilli then in 15 mins there would be college goons driving to the scene with lath and revolvers, thats the difference.
What if they were 7 well known white goons? would your reaction be the same? BTW replace You and yourself with local delhi guys and and 7 international students with 7 Bihari migrants ,may be the scene would not had been much different

What if they were 7 well known white goons? would your reaction be the same? BTW replace You and yourself with local delhi guys and and 7 international students with 7 Bihari migrants ' date='may be the scene would not had been much different[/quote'] Any goons then NO .. pagal thoday he hoon. White kids/young guys then yes. Its easier to say F OFF then say the long sentences in Hindi Whats the logic of mentioning Biharis here ? Anyway I would still try to leave the scene in India and 99% of the times anywhere. Its the smart thing to do but my point was that if you reckon that its not dangerous then at least you can speak up and stand for yourself in certain parts of the world but in India, almost never

Any goons then NO .. pagal thoday he hoon. White kids/young guys then yes. Its easier to say F OFF then say the long sentences in Hindi Whats the logic of mentioning Biharis here ? Anyway I would still try to leave the scene in India and 99% of the times anywhere. Its the smart thing to do but my point was that if you reckon that its not dangerous then at least you can speak up and stand for yourself in certain parts of the world but in India, almost never
No reasons really. Was just wondering ke Dilli waale Dilli se itna dukhi kyun hai bhai? Recent migration ki baat choro but Dilli was always (in)famous for rowdy male behavior. Ab saari galti sarkaar/goondon ki to nahin hogi, kuch to janta ka bhi dosh hai. I mean whats wrong with Delhi :winky:

:haha: Yaar ek baat batao, seriously, tum saale Dilli/Bambai waalon ko bahut takleef hai?? Not making it state based now but rarely do I hear a Bihari complaining ke uski gf ko ched diya kissi ne. Try karo dekho kaise Maa-behan karta hai. Yaa phir ghar pahoonchega apna gang lekar. This Biharism, if you will, was something I saw routinely in Bombay as well. Parle aur Pali Hill waale larke would complain ke how West is good, it was the Marathi ghaati paar janta who would stand up to the goons. Sophistication makes people soft? perhaps :--D By the way I dont disagree with your larger notion, but all I am saying is itna dar dar ke sirf complain kyun karna bhai? Tum poora Rachel Maddow ho gaye ho MSNBC dekh kar :nice:
Chotti si problem hai, In dilli woh jaan se maar dete hain :((

No reasons really. Was just wondering ke Dilli waale Dilli se itna dukhi kyun hai bhai? Recent migration ki baat choro but Dilli was always (in)famous for rowdy male behavior. Ab saari galti sarkaar/goondon ki to nahin hogi' date=' kuch to janta ka bhi dosh hai. I mean whats wrong with Delhi :winky:[/quote'] Problem in dilli is that people have Jugaad and they know powerful people. Police is fecked and its easy to get away with the crime

Any goons then NO .. pagal thoday he hoon. White kids/young guys then yes. Its easier to say F OFF then say the long sentences in Hindi Whats the logic of mentioning Biharis here ? Anyway I would still try to leave the scene in India and 99% of the times anywhere. Its the smart thing to do but my point was that if you reckon that its not dangerous then at least you can speak up and stand for yourself in certain parts of the world but in India, almost never
Bihari was just an example.You could take the case of any state local guys and migrants which are afraid of police .And yes you can stand yourself in India too.Just recently I was in mall in Sohna road and suddenly there was small hungama outside the shop.The salesman rushed to see what happened and when he returned the owner asked " Kya hua he said Kuchch nahi woh ladki chhed di , 3 Jaat ladke the koyi ladki ladke ke saath jaa rahi aur unhone comment pass kar diya aur us ladke se jhagda ho gaya" It was a minor incident and nothing much happened .The boy stood for himself and girl.. Living Condition in developed countries are certainly better but it is not like that all people which standing for themselves are getting killed or beaten up

Chotti si problem hai' date=' In dilli woh jaan se maar dete hain :(([/quote'] Aisa nahin hai Desi Kaka, ye dar hai jiska shoshan hota hai aapke khilaaf. Rahi baat chotti si problem ki, bhaiyya tumhare yehan hamare ghar se jyaada takleef nahin hogi, shukr karo :giggle: We can differ on this, I personally think janta need to start standing up a bit, warna this will continue. And those who do, women and men, have my full appreciation and unconditional support :agree: