Umpiring errors make games one-sided

kabira

Take a look at Ashes Test 4.. During England innings...Collingwood was not given..he scored 20 odd runs more..In reality England would have been skittled out for 130 odd runs.. Lets say 130 runs. Now Aussie innings, Hayden should have been out in single digit...and he scored 150 runs extra. Same with Symonds, he was goner against Monty when he had just crossed his 50...so another 100 runs extra.. So Aussies should have scored 170 odd runs... This would have made game really interesting..But heck no, we are deprived off close contest and instead we see England losiing by an innings.. Now lets go back to India v/s South Africa game...The facking SA commentator, I believe it was Barry Richards and Robin Jackman...kept harping on how lucky Dhoni was and he scored extra runs, how India should have been folded under 200.. So lets see South African innings. Gibbs after lunch, should have been goner against Zaheer Khan...He scored 35 odd runs extra... Boucher was plumb when he was in 20s...so another 30 odd runs extra...Ntini was gone for zero..another 30 odd runs extra for last wicket...I am not counting Prince LBW against Zaheer, that was fair call by umpire.. So SA scored 90-100 runs extra than they deserved...Their final total should have been 220 odd...Game on.. India got bad decision compare to other decisions in the game, when Dravid was adjusted LBW. We will never know how many more he would have scored...so lets not count that.. Dhoni was plumb on zero..so India scored extra 34 runs...Indian total would have been 200 odd... That would have made Game really interesting.. This blind personal in white coats are ruining the game day in and day out..and all I hear from media/commentator is "Its part of the game" blah blah....it evens out blah blah..

Re: Umpiring errors make games one-sided Good summary there Kabs :wtg: These good for nothing umpires are a real shame. They bugger ever other game and I still cannot understand why the techonology is not being used for caught behinds if not for LBWs. :wall:

Re: Umpiring errors make games one-sided 80.3 Anderson to Gilchrist, OUT, gone! Fishing at a very wide one and it appears an edge flies up to Read - or was the noise bat into the ground? There's a long time for the crooked finger to spell doom. Gilchrist can't believe it and the crowd can't either - the boos ring out as the dismissal is replayed on the giant screens around the SCG and Gilchrist walks off keeping his emotions to himself Where were the damn boos when this happened 73.6 Panesar to Warne, no run, it's all drama here! This time sharp turn and bounce and I can hardly type fast enough - big deflection off the glove and Read's up to celebrate. Panesar runs forward with a big, smily appeal - Warne looks around, too - but Dar says 'No' and Warne gets a stay of execution Big cheers greet that over

Re: Umpiring errors make games one-sided

Where were the damn boos when this happened
right at the end of the over... to quote the commentary:
Huge boos from the crowd at the end of that over, unimpressed with Bowden.
kabs, i think yr whole funda is flawed, cos it assumes u had precognitive powers to figure out what the others would have scored, given those decisions not going the way it did. how do u know if prince was given out someone else wouldnt have scored?? it's the same funda as changing future or any classic HG wells book. how do u know if RSD wasnt given out he wouldnt have been bowled next ball, next over?? u don't. so such extrapolation is mere conjecture... fantasy. end of the day, IND didnt have enough balls/firepower to survive a tough fifth day (as was the case the last three times they were faced with similar situation)... blaming umpires is really a waste of time, since there's NO sport which is not affected by umpiring/human error, but ALL those sports do throw up consistently performing champions. think about it.

Re: Umpiring errors make games one-sided

Where were the damn boos when this happened
right at the end of the over... to quote the commentary:
Huge boos from the crowd at the end of that over, unimpressed with Bowden.
What are you talking about there were cheers after Warne was given not out to a huge deflection. It was a no doubter - big deflection off the glove.

Re: Umpiring errors make games one-sided ^^ i didnt--it was a quote from the official match comm. from what i saw, i concurred. so shoot me. only reason i responded to OP was that strangely, it never mentioned the unique situation with strauss. IMHO, in an era where cricketers are professionals for whom cricket is a career by itself, it does not sound right that their ability to perform their job should be hampered by the inconsistent, if not incompetent, way in which others perform their jobs (read umpires). even in sydney, it was really incompetent wicket-keeping that mostly cost the match for IND. those players that can't shouldn't play the game. I haven't yet read an interview of a player who's said that his probably splendid career was cut short by an umpiring decision. Ed Smith comes close but I can't think of anyone else whinging on that. which explains (rather eloquently) RSD's complete silence on his twin bad decisions in T2--unlike arm-chair critics, he understands the game and the way it is played much, much better. Not until everything other aspect that can potentially topple the 'professional' cricketer's career is made error-proof; dropped catches, run outs and other errors, will i concur with the OP (and some of the snide responses thereof.) If a bowler or fielder or a simple psychological ploy like a sledge can introduce an error in the batter, why or indeed how is it that you expect an umpire to be correct all the time? what is even more amazing abt the OP is that somehow, Kabira has figured out what would happen if all correct decisions were made. i bow to such supreme precognisance. simply becos i fail to see the logic in someone predicting that if say an ashwell prince was dismissed (correctly or otherwise) at 16, the rest of the batsmen wouldnt have performed differently and scored better/worse. mayhaps the chaos theory completely bypassed the OP. point is, u can NOT quantify the damage/good that a bad decision made/could make. argue that. thanks.

Re: Umpiring errors make games one-sided Rahul, predictions are made on probabilties. Are you saying wrong umpiring decisions have no impact on the game. I hope not and the rest of my argument will hinge on the assumption that they do impact the game but in a manner which is not necessarily predictable. Whenever there is uncertainty in the outcome one has to rely on probabilities. For example, whenever Dravid goes out to bat abroad against a really good attack what is the par score you expect from him? I would say 40-50 which is justified by his career average against good attacks abroad. If he cops a bad decision then its fair to say that the team has been denied those runs. Simple things like counting deliveries have been done wrong by the umpires leading to loss of wickets and turning of the match. A batsman like Tendulkar copping one bad decision after another obviously impacts the outcome of the match. If you think otherwise, lets hear it.