India lucky to have Dhoni as captain - Chappell

Former coach says he saw great potential, which Dhoni has fulfilled India lucky to have Dhoni as captain - Chappell Cricinfo staff October 1, 2007 spacer.gif Former India coach Greg Chappell has praised Mahendra Singh Dhoni's captaincy and said the Indian team is shaping up well under him. Chappell quit as coach after the World Cup earlier this year, ending a two-year tenure with the team. Though his stint was mired in controversy, Dhoni was one of the successes and Chappell said he had seen a lot of potential in him. Dhoni led an inexperienced team to victory in the ICC World Twenty20 in South Africa, his debut series as captain. "I had foreseen a great future for Dhoni," Chappell told PTI. "He has proved his potential and has been most impressive as a leader. The Indians are lucky to have a leader like him." Chappell, currently in India as a consultant for the Future Cricket Academy of the Rajasthan Cricket Association, based in Jaipur, acknowledged India's recent success. "The Indian team is now doing well," he said. "When I was the coach, whatever I did stood them in good stead. It is up to the others to judge. They have a few exciting players and have already won the ICC World Twenty20. "The good thing about Indian cricket is that it has a varied environment in which players are groomed differently. The players, like those from far-flung areas, are an example of that." The current one-day series between India and Australia, Chappell said, would be a close contest, despite a few senior Australian players retiring from the game in recent months. "The Australian team is in a transition phase. There is no [Glenn] McGrath or Shane Warne. But they are well prepared for the series. They have been working hard and they have to keep intact their supremacy. I believe it will be a hard fought series." His work at the academy, Chappell said, would not necessarily replicate training methods used at the Centre of Excellence in Brisbane. He inaugurated the academy with Ian Frazer, the bio-mechanics expert who also assisted him when Chappell was with the Indian team. "It is not right to compare it to Centre of Excellence because that has been running for years now. People like Allan Border [the former Australian captain] work and evolve new techniques for the trainees there. But I assure you that it will be different. We wish to make it one of the most reputed training centres of the world." Twenty20's growing popularity, Chappell felt, would be a challenge for coaches in adapting to different forms of the game. He did not, though, believe it would ruin a batsman's technique. "There is no question of spoiling the technique. It has brought about a few changes which 50-over cricket too brought along. Now players use heavy bats, footwork is changing and they are hitting much harder than in my day." ------------- :giggle: chappell still in love with himself and the media...

11dhoni.jpg"Dhoni is a good hitter of the ball and has the potential to become a great leader. He has no false modesty and judges the situation to ably tackle it," Chappell said. http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2006/apr/11dhoni.htm This was mentioned by Greg Chappell a year and a half before India won 20/20. Please note his observations: 1) Good hitter of the ball 2) Capable of making a good leader 3) NO false modesty 4) Judges the situation on how to tackle it. All observations which most of us have started to realize post 20/20. Convinced now? xxx
He may be right here but remains a git in everyone's book for other reasons..
And who ever wanted Greg Chappell to win a popularity contest in India? He was here to do a job and part of his job was to create a future for India. Heck his most important work was that and thus far he does seem to have some solid points. I distinctly remember how he was trying to project Dhoni as next Michael Bevan in LOI. This was just at a time when Dhoni was scoring runs at 200 SR or so in LOI, Chappell had suggested how Dhoni was the man who could be Indian Bevan. Turns out today Dhoni has done exactly that. While players, Yuvraj/Uthappa, fire around him Dhoni saves one ends and keeps on scoring at 100 SR without raising any eyebrow. Good call on this one Greg. xxx
Lurker' date=' Chappell had a fantastic cricket brain. [b']No one would argue with that statement. But he is a poor coach, no one would argue with that either.
Bumper. I wouldnt make a case for Greg Chappell as the most likeable chap. Far from it really. But the man knew cricket and also had the backbone to stand for his (mis)deeds. Perhaps none was this more clear than the time when he asked Trevor to bowl under-arm and took all the flack from everyone, right from Don Bradman to his own brother Ian. Clearly the man wanted to win, would stop at nothing short and would take the heat when chips went down. The latter is pertinent since in my opinion Chappell's result, or lack thereof, towards the end of his tenure with India had little to do with his coaching ability and more to do with the inability of the geriatric brigade. Yes you can argue that his words created a bad vibe in the pavillion but clearly the man picked his horses right and backed them(which did not always go good with Buddha brigade). xx

I actually do remember him saying that Dhoni has one of the best cricketing brains in India. He also said bring in the young guys for the WC 2003, remember. After he left, we followed his advice and we won the WC T20. I think India needs to stop grooming super stars like SRT,RD,Ganguly. I mean those guys don't have any ill motives, but just their presence is a give some take some situation. They bring some experience but the atmosphere in the dressing room no doubt changes.

I actually do remember him saying that Dhoni has one of the best cricketing brains in India. He also said bring in the young guys for the WC 2003, remember. After he left, we followed his advice and we won the WC T20. I think India needs to stop grooming super stars like SRT,RD,Ganguly. I mean those guys don't have any ill motives, but just their presence is a give some take some situation. They bring some experience but the atmosphere in the dressing room no doubt changes.
That essentially was the gist of what Greg tried to achieve. Anyone remembers how as back as 2005 he was heard commenting "Sachin's role should evolve, he should become a mentor". Sure the Sachin-bhakts went up in arms back then but look at that comment now and lets see if you disagree with it anymore. xxx

Showing facts to hero worshippers is useless. Chappell started the youth movement and invested a lot in the talent we have. Vengsarkar's interference in SA series put us 6-9 months behind in terms of development. Was he the best man manager - no but he did have the right vision and we are benefiting from it.