Why Kohli shouldn't be captain....

KohliRahane

Good article but I don't agree with it fully; Kohli may be streetfighter in his current role but its not neccessary that he will not show a matured approach if appointed captain. Even in his batting he matured faster than many others understanding his role and trying to play as the backbone of the team. Yes- if you appoint him and he ends up displaying Afridi like nonsensical leadership then he is not captaincy material but when given responsibility he can display an entirely different mentality. BTW Punter never let go of the streetfighter in him in all those years of captaincy & was quite a succesful captain albeit with a pretty strong team

Nope, I don't get this logic. A good batsman may not be a good captain, so the current captain who loses most of the matches played away from home should be retained? :confused: We don't really know if captaincy will affect Kohli's batting or not, then why take it for granted that it will? Why not give him a chance?

Rarely has a great batsman been a great or even good captain. In fact, most times it's been a total disaster. Kohli may well buck the trend, but he's still young and appears to be in the process of becoming the world's best batsman. He has more than enough on his plate. Had India not dropped McCullum thrice, the 2nd test would've been over in 3 or 4 days. Kohli himself being the biggest culprit as he dropped a dolly when McCullum only had a few runs to his name. That's not Dhoni's fault. India's pacers repeatedly running out of steam because the workload is too much and they aren't getting enough rest due to a lack of bowling options in the team is not Dhoni's fault, unless of course he is solely responsible for the team selection. This is a man who has lead India to some of its greatest successes, I don't think he's suddenly forgotten how to lead a side. Bowling has ALWAYS been an issue for India outside of India, that didn't begin with Dhoni at the helm.

Rarely has a great batsman been a great or even good captain. In fact, most times it's been a total disaster. Kohli may well buck the trend, but he's still young and appears to be in the process of becoming the world's best batsman. He has more than enough on his plate. Had India not dropped McCullum thrice, the 2nd test would've been over in 3 or 4 days. Kohli himself being the biggest culprit as he dropped a dolly when McCullum only had a few runs to his name. That's not Dhoni's fault. India's pacers repeatedly running out of steam because the workload is too much and they aren't getting enough rest due to a lack of bowling options in the team is not Dhoni's fault, unless of course he is solely responsible for the team selection. This is a man who has lead India to some of its greatest successes, I don't think he's suddenly forgotten how to lead a side. Bowling has ALWAYS been an issue for India outside of India, that didn't begin with Dhoni at the helm.
It is only fair you give captaincy to the most logical choice. You cannot hand over to a random member in the side fearing the trend.
huh- was Ponting a poor captain?? Clive Lloyd led Windies well Stephen Fleming??? We canot give captaincy to any laloo panjoo based on fear logic

Ponting was an average skipper. Clive Lloyd was not a great batsman, neither was Stephen Fleming or Saurav Ganguly, and I don't know what Gavaskar's record was as captain. Mark Taylor was Australia's last great skipper, and again, he was not a great batsman. I'm not saying to give the captaincy to some random person, Kohli is obviously the one being groomed and is next in line, I'm just wondering what's the rush? The guy is 25, let him concentrate on being the world's best batsman while Dhoni leads the team for a few more years. Historically, great captains have been players who were not looked upon as the best player in their side, I'm dealing with batsmen here. Ponting and Waugh were beneficiaries of having a great side passed on to them, nothing more than that.

Ponting was an average skipper. Clive Lloyd was not a great batsman, neither was Stephen Fleming or Saurav Ganguly, and I don't know what Gavaskar's record was as captain. Mark Taylor was Australia's last great skipper, and again, he was not a great batsman. I'm not saying to give the captaincy to some random person, Kohli is obviously the one being groomed and is next in line, I'm just wondering what's the rush? The guy is 25, let him concentrate on being the world's best batsman while Dhoni leads the team for a few more years. Historically, great captains have been players who were not looked upon as the best player in their side, I'm dealing with batsmen here. Ponting and Waugh were beneficiaries of having a great side passed on to them, nothing more than that.
Not one an away test since June 2011. And you say whats the rush:hysterical: Yeah lets wait another two years so we lose more and dhobi can fill his bank balance more
^ What's the rush?? Come on' date=' we have lost 10 out of the last 14 away tests. Would you continue with the losing captain just because the next in line happens to be a good batsman. And I don't consider him as our best batsman anyway, it is Pujara.[/quote'] Far more is expected of Kohli than Pujara. Kohli is the more dynamic player and is the one who walks in to all three teams(Tests, ODI, 20/20). I don't know whether Kohli will ever gain "God-like" status in India, but he's definitely a rock star over there. People pay to watch him bat, people wake up at all hours to watch HIM bat, like Sachin or Lara. Which Indian captain was ever successful overseas? This goes beyond captaincy, the Indian team has historically bean a weak won away from home. I'd let Dhoni captain India in the series against England this summer, and take it from there.