Windows 10 Rollout

Kalia_Test

I had registered for the "Get Windows 10" program and looks like Windows 10 is already downloaded to C:\$windows.~BT ( with view hidden files option checked ). 12AM ET on July 29th (9PM PST on July 28th) is when the rollout happens with MS unlocking the key i.e in a few hrs ( though I am not sure if certain countries will get it first - ideally it should not matter as files have been downloaded already worldwide over last few weeks ). Hope nothing gets messed up :pray:

Upgrade done :yay: Typing this from the new Microsoft Edge browser. Looks weird though. One advice...After Upgrade there will be some questions on sending location data ( including location history ) to Microsoft. Some other questions also that will allow Microsoft to target you. If you click 'Express Settings' they will all be turned on. I clicked customize and turned off most of them ( except sending error and crash reports to Microsoft ). Start Button is back. I had this weird feeling in Win 8 and 8.1 about 2 OS's using my Comp's resources ( the tile and desktop modes ). Thank God that feeling is gone now :--D Need to explore changes more.

That's awesome. What are you guys going for? A clean install or would you keep old settings and files?
This is an Upgrade - not a new install. There is no option of clean install ( I was not presented with any ). All your Programs and settings and files will be there. If you are a little sceptical - then better take a backup on external drive before the Upgrade.

This is an Upgrade - not a new install. There is no option of clean install ( I was not presented with any ). All your Programs and settings and files will be there. If you are a little sceptical - then better take a backup on external drive before the Upgrade.
That's too bad. I guess I'll have to do a post-upgrade refresh. How do you find the new OS? Any noticeable changes since the final insider preview?

That's too bad. I guess I'll have to do a post-upgrade refresh. How do you find the new OS? Any noticeable changes since the final insider preview?
I have not seen any insider preview so it is completely new to me. I like the 'Workspace' concept i.e multiple desktops at same time. Have been using it on my Linux Mint dual boot for years and now it is there in Windows too :two_thumbs_up:

The update is in progress. Will I lose my favorites and stuff I pinned in my taskbar?
No. Don't worry. You will lose nothing. Bookmarks in browsers, favorites pinned to taskbar, shortcuts on desktop - everything will stay ( atleast they did for me ). Also, with the Start menu back, the need of pinning itself is gone for majority of cases IMO.

Upgrade done :yay: Typing this from the new Microsoft Edge browser. Looks weird though. One advice...After Upgrade there will be some questions on sending location data ( including location history ) to Microsoft. Some other questions also that will allow Microsoft to target you. If you click 'Express Settings' they will all be turned on. I clicked customize and turned off most of them ( except sending error and crash reports to Microsoft ). Start Button is back. I had this weird feeling in Win 8 and 8.1 about 2 OS's using my Comp's resources ( the tile and desktop modes ). Thank God that feeling is gone now :--D Need to explore changes more.
Yep, mine's done as well

No. Don't worry. You will lose nothing. Bookmarks in browsers, favorites pinned to taskbar, shortcuts on desktop - everything will stay ( atleast they did for me ). Also, with the Start menu back, the need of pinning itself is gone for majority of cases IMO.
Yes! Was such a pain. But MS Edge :hysterical: You can rebrand or rebuild as much as you want but it can never be fluid as Chrome.

I have not seen any insider preview so it is completely new to me. I like the 'Workspace' concept i.e multiple desktops at same time. Have been using it on my Linux Mint dual boot for years and now it is there in Windows too :two_thumbs_up:
My PC is on a dual boot too and I am worried about Windows overwriting the current GRUB menu and installing it's own bootloader. If it doesn't respect my Linux OS, installing another Grub could be a pain, specially because my Linux sits on a logical volume. Did your Grub menu get affected with the new upgrade?

Yes! Was such a pain. But MS Edge :hysterical: You can rebrand or rebuild as much as you want but it can never be fluid as Chrome.
Edge is actually quite fluid and I won't be surprised if it ends up consuming far less memory compared to Chrome. It's got a very very good rendering engine that has handled everything quite well so far...nothing like the crappy IE. It should make the browser war a bit more interesting.