As per cricinfo's latest: Rahul Dravid confirmed to open at MCG

fineleg

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/327306.html RD opening, Ganguly will be at #5 ZK and RP Singh in. Toss up will be between Ishant Sharma and Harbhajan Singh. Pankaj Singh left out. Ricky Ponting (!?) feels Ishant Sharma will not play! But Kumble is keeping options open between IS and HS.
Very confusing. Why does Ricky Ponting think so? I hope Kumble doesn't commit the mistake to go with two spinners. Harbhajan will be eaten alive by the Australian batsmen. And then two left armers only in the seam attack? The case looks much worse than what I had expected!!!
Guest HariSampath

If Dravid opens, and fails in Melbourne, it will certainly be difficult for him to retain his place. Ishant Sharma should play, and as we are going in with 4 bowlers to take 20 wkts, there should be a couple of fivers from some bowlers...hope Kumble or RP come up with something. I feel that our top order will be cleaned up in this test as Kumble has gone the defensive way by omitting Sehwag...India will not win this test. If Australia win the toss, they will bat India out of the game by tomorrow evening

If Dravid opens' date=' and fails in Melbourne, it will certainly be difficult for him to retain his place. Ishant Sharma should play, and as we are going in with 4 bowlers to take 20 wkts, there should be a couple of fivers from some bowlers...hope Kumble or RP come up with something. I feel that our top order will be cleaned up in this test as Kumble has gone the defensive way by omitting Sehwag...India will not win this test. [b']If Australia win the toss, they will bat India out of the game by tomorrow evening
IMHO If Australia bats first,as the pitch is expected to be damp,it would make life miserable for the batsmen for the first 2 sessions .Hope Aussies are inserted and bat first, lose all their wickets by tea time. may RP Singh take a fiver with good support from Zak and others! even if Indians score around 250+ in the first innings,the pitch would be better for batting from 4th day, so, i hope indian batsmen recover well in the second innings and play to their potential and score 450+ and win the match!!!:yay:
If Dravid opens' date= and fails in Melbourne, it will certainly be difficult for him to retain his place. Ishant Sharma should play, and as we are going in with 4 bowlers to take 20 wkts, there should be a couple of fivers from some bowlers...hope Kumble or RP come up with something. I feel that our top order will be cleaned up in this test as Kumble has gone the defensive way by omitting Sehwag...India will not win this test. If Australia win the toss, they will bat India out of the game by tomorrow evening
no way. Anil Kumble and the team management would have certainly assured Dravid that his place in the XI would not be compromised even if he fails as an opener in the first 2 tests. Dravid is too experienced and technically competent to fail so miserably any way. Dravid will play all 4 tests.come what may. Kumble supported Dinesh Karthik despite his bad form, so, there is no question od Dravid facing any difficulty to retain his place.