THe elder Pathan

chanakya

I think Yousuf will make a good one day player. He is tall , athletice , is a good hitter and a decent bowler. He is the kinda of player we need in our team right now. Too many players in our team are one-dimensional. I cant stress enough the role of utility players in one-dayers. It is these players that make the match-winning difference.

I think Yousuf will make a good one day player. He is tall ' date=' athletice , is a good hitter and a decent bowler. [b']He is the kinda of player we need in our team right now. Too many players in our team are one-dimensional. I cant stress enough the role of utility players in one-dayers. It is these players that make the match-winning difference.
well said Bhai, I meant this is the moment for him to prove himself...so many players got the chance from the last year's Challenger tourney...thats why I say...Come on Yusuf Pathan...just do it!
well said Bhai' date=' I meant this is the moment for him to prove himself...so many players got the chance from the last year's Challenger tourney...thats why I say...Come on Yusuf Pathan...just do it![/quote'] Irrespective of how does in the challenger trophy , he needs to be in the team. There is no way we cant sustain the 5 bowler + 5 batsman + keeper policy for long. One dayers are either won at the top or at the very bottom of the batting order. It is these two areas that a team needs to be really strong in.
It remains to be seen how good he actually is. One match is never good enough to decide.
On one hand this ^ statement comes as an obstacle in taking some daring decisions ( though on the other hand they took Badri ) for the cause of utility of uprising talent and to decide by giving immediate chance after the first one, whether this player carries the same game in ODIs, too.
Irrespective of how does in the challenger trophy ' date=' he needs to be in the team. There is no way we cant sustain the 5 bowler + 5 batsman policy for long. One dayers are either won at the top or at the very bottom of the batting order. It is these two areas that a team needs to be really strong in.[/quote'] I strongly believe in the point kept forward by you...lets hope for the best to come in near future...!
It remains to be seen how good he actually is. One match is never good enough to decide.
As RK says , there is no point in waiting on a player to deliver for him to be included in the team. From what little i have seen of Yousuf, he seems to be international class. If players like Nikhil Chopra , Vijay Bharadwaj can play for India, so can Pathan.
If players like Nikhil Chopra , Vijay Bharadwaj can play for India, so can Pathan.
Sorry, just because we made some mistake, we cannot make others. I disagree in giving "quick passes" for entry to the team based on "potential" and "hope". Let whoever needs to make an entry in the squad, perform great in domestics/A-tours/other opportunities like county etc. Based on solid and proven performance, let them knock doors and enter the squad. This applies to new comers like Yusuf Pathan and previous folks like Sehwag, Kaif, Raina et al.
Right' date=' one 20-20 match.[/quote'] Yes, and he went after Asif as told to him...believe it his 6er to Asif made him less dangerous for us...Yusuf also declared the intentions of the game that we were going to play that day...but other batsman didnot keep that spirit which is other matter...but Yusuf catered to the need of the hour then...so why isn't he tried or why can't we try him again...!
Sorry, just because we made some mistake, we cannot make others. I disagree in giving "quick passes" for entry to the team based on "potential" and "hope". Let whoever needs to make an entry in the squad, perform great in domestics/A-tours/other opportunities like county etc. Based on solid and proven performance, let them knock doors and enter the squad. This applies to new comers like Yusuf Pathan and previous folks like Sehwag, Kaif, Raina et al.
You are a bit inaccurate in one thing - The MAJOR criterion for selection is domestic performances. When Irfan was selected for the 20/20 and then later for the one-dayers , everyone was crying out loud - " What has he done to warrant selection. Even in the India A tour ( to Kenya/Zim i think) he didnt do well at all. Yet, he was selected for his talent and we all see what happened after that. Go back a little further. Saurav Ganguly didnt play a SINGLE match during the entire 2006 season , came back into the team in the late part of 2006 and now is amongst the leading run-scorers in the world. Sometimes , you just have to back player talent/pedigree and include them in the team. This " let him perform in the domestic matches" doest cut always.
yusuf got a chance because he played well in the domestic 20-20. What i meant was more international matches so that one can judge his real class. Rephrasing - One international match is not enough
yes, without delaying further he must be given a chance....as.......said............ One international match is not enough One international match is not enough One international match is not enough