Why do Indian universities rank so bad

gattaca

18 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

This is the limitation of our education model:

we base our entire 'metric' of knowledge on a few and far-between 'super-hard tests'. 

Often, students (who mostly don't want to -and shouldn't be expected to- never have a childhood and any fun, so they study only for grades) are forced to 'learn to figure out a test-like problem' and not use actual aptitude to 'figure out' solutions. 

Most aptitude tests are 'figure out a math solution' type tests. Word problems. 

And its unfair to say 'its easier to learn now, so they should do better'. The point is, Indian education system expects its students to spend approximately 50-70 hours per week on studies, sometimes even more. And that is an inherently flawed system, because the bulk majority of kids are going to want to have a childhood, have some fun as well and will be resistant to the notion.

At best, they will be despondently resigned and 'wait for education to end' or be mildly 'permanently rebellious'. 

This is an inferior model of education : Finland recently surpassed everyone in early to secondary education and they practically have zero homework! Obviously we cannot replicate that in India for another century at best, but its time to change our education model, that is patently designed to beat down the student, intimidate them and soul-lessly harvest only the brightest and the ones who turn themselves into studious drones intent on acing exams. 

I see overpopulation as the root cause behind it. The thing about Indian education is that the entrance exams are so hard that once you clear them and enter the university, you'll realise it was not worth the effort. I believe an undergrad from MIT/Stanford may struggle to clear the IIT entrance exam.

I remember during my engineering entrance exam prep days, it took me months to understand the fundamentals of calculus at 11th grade and I was simultaneously surrounded by 16-17 year old freaks who found I.E. Irodov not too challenging. We live in a very diverse country.

Edited by MechEng