Why less Indians suffer AIDS dementia

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

ANy reason why Indian AIDS patients predominantly see this particular mutation ?? http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Why_less_Indians_suffer_AIDS_dementia/articleshow/2706572.cms NEW DELHI: The mystery - why only 4% of Indian HIV patients suffered from AIDS-induced dementia as against 45% of those in the West (US and Europe) - may have finally been cracked. A six-member team from the National Brain Research Centre (NBRC) has found that Tat - the neuro-toxic protein in the AIDS virus that causes dementia -undergoes a natural mutation, especially in the HIV1-C type (the virus type specific to India), which reduces its neuro-toxicity by almost 100%. There are 10 strains of HIV that infect people worldwide. The Indian strain HIV1-C is the only one that undergoes this mutation, making Tat ineffective in HIV infected Indians. "This is why India records such low incidence of AIDS-induced dementia compared to the West, where the virus does not undergo this mutation," Pankaj Seth, scientist in-charge of the NeuroAIDS lab at NBRC, told TOI

Use of turmeric(haldi) PR_OH_Turmeric.jpg The reason I say it is because a similar experiment has been conducted in the West with regards to Alzeheimer disease. Alzeheimer is a disease where elderly people tend to lose memory,its most famous patient of course being Ronald Reagan. In the test it was found that South Asian group of people had the least percentage of Alzehemier disease in the world. The low percentage of South Asian patients was narrowed down to food habits and ultimately the spices used with stong support in favour of Turmeric. Since dementia is another of those disease with brain and has memory loss as its symptom I wouldnt be surprised if turmeric in Indian diet ensures we have lesser instances of it.

Pure chance The HIV strain that happens to be predominant in India makes a less harmful version of the Tat protein. In this particular case, it has nothing to do with turmeric - the viral protein itself is less harmful. In other words, if this particular strain of virus infected a person who does not consume turmeric, it would still not be neurotoxic. Lurker is however correct in pointing out that turmeric is beneficial in diminishing the effects of Alzheimer's disease, rheumatoid arthritis; its cytotoxic effects on cancer cells are also being established.

But on the corollary, i've read and heard from some very good sources that Indians/subcontinentals are also the most vulnerable to AIDS - something to do with our Mitochondria/DNA patterns etc. By 'vulnerable', i mean that in terms of 'infections per 10,000 exposure' rate, desis are the highest scoring (and thus the most vulnerable) of all.

Guest dada_rocks

IS there any study or we are just ascribing everythign india specifi to indian masala.. I know Alzeihmmer's study has been done and rescue act comes there from turmeric but does that study hold for dementia of any type

IS there any study or we are just ascribing everythign india specifi to indian masala.. I know Alzeihmmer's study has been done and rescue act comes there from turmeric but does that study hold for dementia of any type
Like I indicated above, turmeric is not the reason for lower numbers associated with HIV-induced dementia in India. The HIV strain (HIV1-C) ITSELF is less able to induce dementia. So, no. Turmeric is not a "cure" for all types of dementia, as far as we can tell now. It has rigorously been shown to work only in AD-induced demetia.

Guest dada_rocks
Like I indicated above' date=' turmeric is [b']not the reason for lower numbers associated with HIV-induced dementia in India. The HIV strain (HIV1-C) ITSELF is less able to induce dementia. So, no. Turmeric is not a "cure" for all types of dementia, as far as we can tell now. It has rigorously been shown to work only in AD-induced demetia.
My original question was why the preponderance of that particular strain in indian patients.. That's where it was suggested may be turmeric consuption is the reason mutation takes the way it does and I am looking for some definitive data on it.

My original question was why the preponderance of that particular strain in indian patients.. That's where it was suggested may be turmeric consuption is the reason mutation takes the way it does and I am looking for some definitive data on it.
Here's your answer. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/review/summer_epidemic.shtml HIV 1C is also the preponderant strain in Africa. Just not in Europe and Africa. Once again, turmeric has nothing to do with it.

Here's your answer. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/review/summer_epidemic.shtml HIV 1C is also prevalent in Africa. Just not in Europe and US. And studies in Ethiopia with HIV 1C infections show less dementia there too. So, unless the Ethiopians are eating curry, turmeric has nothing to do with it :). "... study by Dr. David Clifford of Washington University in Missouri, reported that there was no significant difference between Ethiopians infected with HIV-C and HIV-negative people from the local community, matched for age, education and other potential confounders." http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/D1BC6CD9-96E7-41B1-89B8-1805465F6AFE.asp Hope this answers your question. Like I said in my first post in this thread, it just "happens" that the strain prevalent in India (HIV 1C) is less able to cause dementia. It also "happens" that HIV 1C is more infective than the other strains. I hope no one attributes that to turmeric.

Guest dada_rocks
Here's your answer. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/review/summer_epidemic.shtml HIV 1C is also prevalent in Africa. Just not in Europe and US. And studies in Ethiopia with HIV 1C infections show less dementia there too. So, unless the Ethiopians are eating curry, turmeric has nothing to do with it :). "... study by Dr. David Clifford of Washington University in Missouri, reported that there was no significant difference between Ethiopians infected with HIV-C and HIV-negative people from the local community, matched for age, education and other potential confounders." http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/D1BC6CD9-96E7-41B1-89B8-1805465F6AFE.asp Hope this answers your question. Like I said in my first post in this thread, it just "happens" that the strain prevalent in India (HIV 1C) is less able to cause dementia. It also "happens" that HIV 1C is more infective than the other strains. I hope no one attributes that to turmeric.
This sounds more like the answer I was looking for .. will read it later....