Indians can match our winning ways: Gilchrist

DomainK

Adelaide (PTI): Retiring wicket-keeper batsman Adam Gilchrist has rated India as one of Australia's strongest rivals in world cricket, saying the sub-continental team have made life difficult for the world champions in recent years. Gilchrist, who retires from Test cricket after the fourth and final Test here, said India has the wherewithal to come close to Australia in terms of winning matches. "India are a great side. They had been playing great cricket against us over the recent years. I believe they can match us in winning matches," he said in a television interview recorded before the start of the Test here. "Everybody chipped in to come up with a great win in Perth. That has been what we had been doing for long. They can do like us," he added. Gilchrist, however, was not forthcoming when asked whether India have become the ultimate competitor and a boogie side as they had stopped Australia from a world record 17th successive win on two occasions. "That has been what a lot of people have been saying. That (stopping from 17th win) is uncanny, it could be coincidence too. But, in the last few years India had played great cricket against us, in 2001, 2004, particularly 2001, besides this series." In 2001, VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid had fashioned one of the greatest comebacks in Test history to beat Australia in Kolkata to stop the visitors' 16-match winning streak in a tour which was described by captain Steve Waugh as looking to cross the "final frontier". Source: http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200801261622.htm

Yes, they should be positive and counter attack after getting in. Having Sehwag and Dravid at the crease is actually good in my thinking. Good mixture of stability and aggression...IF they play their normal games. I think they will. Sehwag didn't look overawed during the short session...but he did seem to be concentrating very hard on curtailing his attacking instincts, probably due to the dropped catch and the larger ramifications if his wicket were to go down during that session. I hope he builds his innings intensity tomorrow. If he does, the aussies will be on the backfoot.