Ponting most influential Aussie player since Bradman: CA chief

suraj

MELBOURNE, February 7: Aussie captain Ricky Ponting can go on to be the most influential cricketer in the country since Don Bradman, Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said on Thursday. Ponting came in for a lot of flak after the Sydney Test against India and there were calls from some quarters for him to be sacked but Sutherland pointed out that Australia is the only team in the world with a spirit of cricket code. "We are absolutely supportive of our team and players," Sutherland said. "When one wins as often as they do and are as successful as they are you leave yourself open to criticism. Perhaps we expect more of them than we expect of anyone else, which is unfortunate." Sutherland was lavish in his praise of Ponting as a captain and a man. "In my view, he (Ponting) is as good a player as we have ever had, bar Bradman. "And, as a leader, he has a great opportunity to stand up and I look forward to seeing him as someone who has influenced the game more than anyone bar Bradman," he was quoted as saying by 'The Australian'. "It pays to understand his background. He came out of Launceston, basically at the age of 15 and has been a professional cricketer ever since. "He is the sort of leader and captain that players absolutely love to play for. His team-mates are in awe of him as a player and as a captain and players would walk out over hot coals," Sutherland said. "He doesn't walk out ahead of the team, he walks out with the team." http://publication.samachar.com/pub_article.php?id=1250324&navname=Sports%20&moreurl=http://publication.samachar.com/timesofindia/sports/cricket.php&homeurl=http://publication.samachar.com

in all fairness .. he is one of the best batsmen ever and Aussie team has a had a lot of success under him.
great batsman ... but hardly the most influential player .... piss poor sportsman and a lout for the most part .... several incidents over the course of a long career attest to that fact

this guy was almost indicted in Kolkatta in 1998 for lewd behavior with women in a nightclub. He was asked to control drinking in late 90s by CA, as well as controlling his gambling problem. Getting peeved at Pommies for using subs in last Ashes when the going got tough ... would you like more ... this is just the prominent stuff that comes to mind.

No wonder. Aussies are setting a low standard. He is certainly a good batsman. He is the most influential player since Bradman. Well that is degrading Don. Don Bradman was a true sportsman and a gentleman. Don was a victim of intimidation, but came victorious. Ponting is the instigator and a street fighter who will like to win, would take advantage of every opportunity to intimidate the opposition, pressurize umpires into succumbing to pressure.

this guy was almost indicted in Kolkatta in 1998 for lewd behavior with women in a nightclub. He was asked to control drinking in late 90s by CA' date=' as well as controlling his gambling problem. Getting peeved at Pommies for using subs in last Ashes when the going got tough ... would you like more ... this is just the prominent stuff that comes to mind.[/quote'] does it matter what he does off feild ? I mean how many Girl friends did Viv Richards had all over the world. For incident with the poms, he was right as till then teams didnt do that. It wasnt a usual thing for any side to use subs so much. Bottom line, he has out performed all captains and all batsmen for last 3-4 years. Any more examples ?
does it matter what he does off feild ? I mean how many Girl friends did Viv Richards had all over the world. For incident with the poms, he was right as till then teams didnt do that. It wasnt a usual thing for any side to use subs so much. Bottom line, he has out performed all captains and all batsmen for last 3-4 years. Any more examples ?
consensual liaison with women and forcing your drunken self with them are very different things ... if you equate the two then this dialog is pointless
consensual liaison with women and forcing your drunken self with them are very different things ... if you equate the two then this dialog is pointless
I still think he has been the best in Aus since bradman. I do get your point but as far as the "cricketer" is concerned I don't see much wrong that he has done. There are incidents that happen off field but that doesn't change the fact that he is a great cricketer but not necessarily a role model
does it matter what he does off feild ? I mean how many Girl friends did Viv Richards had all over the world. For incident with the poms, he was right as till then teams didnt do that. It wasnt a usual thing for any side to use subs so much. Bottom line, he has out performed all captains and all batsmen for last 3-4 years. Any more examples ?
Oh well! It does matter what you do off field, and I'm surprised that you don't know about that, living in Australia. Do you remember why Shane Warne was stripped off the vice-captaincy way back in 2000? If not, you must do a search for it. You'll get some interesting answers, if you don't know already. To influence a game in a country, you have to become a role model as well along with being a very good player; and Ponting is definitely a very bad role model. And I don't agree with your statement that Ponting is one of the best EVER batsman. He is not even among the best Australian batsmen, leave aside being one in the world ever since the game started.
I agree with you. He isn't paid for mother Teresa's role. Anyways i don't think he is that good.
Oh well! It does matter what you do off field, and I'm surprised that you don't know about that, living in Australia. Do you remember why Shane Warne was stripped off the vice-captaincy way back in 2000? If not, you must do a search for it. You'll get some interesting answers, if you don't know already. To influence a game in a country, you have to become a role model as well along with being a very good player; and Ponting is definitely a very bad role model. And I don't agree with your statement that Ponting is one of the best EVER batsman. He is not even among the best Australian batsmen, leave aside being one in the world ever since the game started.
oh that was just a minor thing for him. He has done a lot worse than that.
you can opt to hate Ponting cause you dont like him but to say he isnt one of the best ever is a joke. He has played much better than SRT or Drvaid in last 5 years . Check the records and please post a comparison :icflove:
He is very good but look what the guy is saying "In my view, he (Ponting) is as good a player as we have ever had, bar Bradman" ...meaning on par or better than Lillee, Chappell, Miller, Mcgrath, Warne etc
you can opt to hate Ponting cause you dont like him but to say he isnt one of the best ever is a joke. He has played much better than SRT or Drvaid in last 5 years . Check the records and please post a comparison :icflove:
I hope you understand the difference between being best for the last 4-5 years and being one of the best EVER!! I don't hate Ponting but I don't think of him that highly too. And Faisal, Warne did that thing and CA removed him from being vice captain because they got the message that this fellow won't be good for Australia's skipper because a skipper has to be a good role model too, in Australian cricket. Ponting isn't one either, and anyone who overlooks this is only burying his/her head in sand and is in denial.

Every top player is pretty influential in ther country, Sachin for India, Inzamam for Pakistan ( earlier ) etc etc Ponting is a great player, but if I ever had to pick an aussie as a player, role model and mentor would be Steve Waugh, its not only about being a biatch on the field; its about the personality and the respect you earn as well