Cricket growth in India

stormskip

Does anyone have a handle on the numbers that are playing cricket in India. I've heard so many conflicting suggestions. Is there a player register help by Cricket India? There is talk about player numbers expanding by 20% per year mainly in teenagers. At that rate, and based on simple probability, India will have the best team in the world by about 2011. If the numbers are as high as suggested and the increases wealth of the Indian economy there is a huge threat to Australian domination. Does anyone know the Indian player number figures and which area has the most cricketers?

Does anyone have a handle on the numbers that are playing cricket in India. I've heard so many conflicting suggestions. Is there a player register help by Cricket India? There is talk about player numbers expanding by 20% per year mainly in teenagers. At that rate, and based on simple probability, India will have the best team in the world by about 2011. If the numbers are as high as suggested and the increases wealth of the Indian economy there is a huge threat to Australian domination. Does anyone know the Indian player number figures and which area has the most cricketers?
Err.. Indian players' numer in FC cricket or club cricket or age groups or what? And remember, quantity doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Indian board might be the richest or wealth might be flowing but the infrastructure is still poor for kids at the formative stage because of which they don't learn correct technique, be it batting or bowling or fielding or diving or whatever. FC cricket is still played on poor wickets with state associations doctoring them according to their need, not necessarily helping have a good cricket match. Below that level, the condition is even poorer.

Thanks Chandon, I was interested in the numbers in organised clubs and associations in all age groups. I'm interested in the demographics for example....something like....in Mumbai there are 50 clubs each with 100 players (or something like that) Are there cities where cricket has huge organised clubs and associations? Where will this huge growth come from? Will it be in existing areas, or in the poorer areas? Is cricket mainly played in the wealthy or poorer areas of India? Thanks for your comments,