Greg Chappell

indfan

Re: Greg Chappell

Predator: Agree 100%. The ROI on GC is not very good. The expectation was that he would take India to the next level - and to date he hasn't succeeded. The WC performance will dictate whether or not he stays with India. Having said that, if we are going to blame him for everything that goes wrong with the team, then we should credit him what works. Otherwise, its simply a convenient position for people who dislike GC for other reasons (eg. Ganguly being dropped).
Well said m8. You and I come from the same school of thought. I backed Chappell on the expectation that he could take a good team to the next level. At one stage, it looked like a genuine possibility but the team hasn't progressed at the rate it should have. Hence why i brought up the win percentages in comparision to JW's record - it's nothing worth defending. That said, i think it's about time Chappell packed his bags since he has taken India as far as he could - the winning streak being the peak. Don't take the Ganguly worshippers seriously - they are one-eyed and have no sense of perspective. That's how this forum came into existence - we all had enough of their bakwaas. Feel free to continue the debate on Chappell's coaching stint on this thread ---> http://www.indiancricketfans.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1695&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chappell&start=20 That is where you can find almost all my views on him. Would appreciate it if you could respond to some of my points which went unanswered.

If Greggy was simply being rude to the media wouldn't have a problem with it... What I have a problem with is his trying to USURP the credit when the going is good but DISAPPEARING faster than a paratha in the presence of Inzi... when India do poorly...
RUBBISH POST. He always gives credit to the players. He is always praising them. Yeah sometimes he might take a bit of the credit but why not. I always read his interviews and he always praises the players as well. Stop spreading stupid myths. In fact IMO he should barely praise them at all and keep booting them up the backside. Especaily Sehwag until he loses 5 stone!

Re: Greg Chappell Birbal u are biased to the core, as usual. U sound like an Islamic radical issuing a fatwa on Jews :hic:, whenever u talk about Chappell. Bottom line, is for you, no one who did anything against your dada, can ever be right. Chappell has neither been superb nor mediore. He is somewhere in the middle. Chappell is by nature a dominant personality. At times he has used that aura well, other times he has abused it. And he tried using the formula of backing youth over ageing seniors (that worked in Australia), in India. It backfired in some cases (Raina, Venu etc), it paid off in other cases (Munaf, KKD, Sreesanth). 1) Booting out Ganguly & Zakky when they were at their lousiest was the common sensical move. Even Boycott's mum knew that. It had to be a no nonsense persona, who could suggest such a thing about a national icon. Full marks to Chappell here. Result: Ganguly & Zak mark II, fit, hungry & ready to fire in the world cup. 2) From a bare cupboard of fast bowlers, we have a problem of plenty now. Sreesanth, Munaf, RPS, VRV would have never dreamed of playing for India when Zak, Nehra, Balaji, Pathan had virtually booked their place in the team forever under the prev regime. 3) As for results, our test results, barring one series tie vs England, has not been bad. We won vs SL, we lost 1-0 to a MUCH IMPROVED Pak team, we wont for the first ever time in WI, and SA. Our performances against SA & WI, were MUCH BETTER than the previous tours. As for ODIs, we lost a CT at home, which is unacceptable. And our losses in SA, were expcted. We never won a ODI vs SA in the prev tour either. So the overall results are not as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. Chappell like most, evens out his pluses with his minuses. 1) Too many verbose interviews. 2) Too much coaching/talking of/to players, when simply staying away from them, would have worked better. 3) Too many experiments, constant flux in the batting order. 4) Being bull headed in backing youth, even when they were failing. 5) Lack of tournament wins in ODIs. Overall, Chappell has not to taken us to the next level, which he promised, hence does not deserve a new contract, post world cup. I'd be happy to see him go, unless we make it to the semis in the world cup.

Re: Greg Chappell Biased to the Core...hahahahaahaa I was the guy who supported hiring him in the first place...thinking he would lead India to the NEXT level...though I admit I failed to do my homework then...and relied on articles from Sportsworld plus Greggy's own presentation/spin... But instead he has come in and shattered TEAM unity and disrupted things completely...while it was OK to kick some people out of their comfort zones...the way he went about it was nothing less than condescending to Indian cricket, Indian fans, and India itself.. How can any one support a guy who WHINES that Oh it is hard to be HONEST in India...then why the FACK are you still here coach.. could have taken the next flight home... HONESTLY...

Biased to the Core...hahahahaahaa I was the guy who supported hiring him in the first place...thinking he would lead India to the NEXT level...though I admit I failed to do my homework then...and relied on articles from Sportsworld plus Greggy's own presentation/spin... But instead he has come in and shattered TEAM unity and disrupted things completely...while it was OK to kick some people out of their comfort zones...the way he went about it was nothing less than condescending to Indian cricket, Indian fans, and India itself.. How can any one support a guy who WHINES that Oh it is hard to be HONEST in India...then why the FACK are you still here coach.. could have taken the next flight home... HONESTLY...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleepy:

Re: Greg Chappell As I have always said, Coach's role is overrated...Duncan Fletcher was touted as Messiah of English cricket when he won Ashes back..now he is considered to be biggest fool after whitewash.. For me coach's role is to help captain out. I have observed so many times, Dravid doing what he wants to do, overruling Chappell. Chappell should just stay in background and concentrate on other things...

Re: Greg Chappell it is funny, when many of u want him to shut up and stop giving interviews, but lap up every single word, tht man says in his interview.... i, personally, like coaches and captains to interact more with the media and tht was my gripe with Wright... and Dravid now.... I like to read, what Chappell thinks about Raina, or how they are working on Tendulkar drive which inbetween kept going to midwicket, or wat the team mgmt thinks about RP Singh.... If he wants to take credit, i dont mind him taking it..... cos he sure did draw a lot of flak for the failure in odi series in Windies and Safrica

"shattered TEAM unity"
That is a joke. Notice how happy the team looked after the two series wins ? Ganguly being doused with Pepsi ? The overexaggerated (almost ridiculous) celebrations after the Jo'burg test win ? If that isn't unity, I don't know what is.
Come to think if it, when was the last time the team members had lotta differences?

he has come in and shattered TEAM unity and disrupted things completely...
How do you know? Do you have some inside information? Has any player informed you about this? Tell us even if the "source is undisclosed" as so many newspapers claim. How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

"shattered TEAM unity"
That is a joke. Notice how happy the team looked after the two series wins ? Ganguly being doused with Pepsi ? The overexaggerated (almost ridiculous) celebrations after the Jo'burg test win ? If that isn't unity, I don't know what is.
Come to think if it, when was the last time the team members had lotta differences?
dont know abt team members, but last time i heard about differences was sehwag and chappell row before the last test in SA also, i read somewhere that vengy wanted pathan to play the last match, but chappell and dravid said no, thats why vengy is making pathan play this deodhar trophy game.

dont know abt team members, but last time i heard about differences was sehwag and chappell row before the last test in SA also, i read somewhere that vengy wanted pathan to play the last match, but chappell and dravid said no, thats why vengy is making pathan play this deodhar trophy game.
You don't believe these things blindly, do you? Then, haven't you read about Wright grabbing Sehwag by the collar, Zaheer having tiffs with Wright as well as Chappell when asked to put in extra yards during the training and Sachin called a tourist by Ganguly during the Ind-Aus series in 2004 and so on?

Re: Greg Chappell this whole chappell-bashing thing, especially from the other forum is so effeminate.... men like to talk about sports, while women like to gossip..... all the time talking about color of panties Chappell wears, and how it affected the team.... no wonder, it is led by a WOMAN on the other forum....

he has come in and shattered TEAM unity and disrupted things completely...
How do you know? Do you have some inside information? Has any player informed you about this? Tell us even if the "source is undisclosed" as so many newspapers claim. How on earth did you come to this conclusion?
Usual myth rubbish that people like Birbal like to spread. Just like this myth of wanting to take credit etc. Many times I have seen him give interviews when india not doing well. What do we want a boring coach like fletcher who never says jack and sends me to sleep when speaking