Sachin should not open vs the Aussies anymore

CC1981

Salil, at this stage, i think Gambo will do better than his numbers suggest- he is in a purple patch and best form of his LIFE. That, coupled with Tendu's consistent failures against the Aussies opening makes it a risk worth taking for the finals. And #3 for Tendu was just a suggestion- bat him at #4 if you think he needs a spot where he's done reasonably well in the past.

No, the fact that he's in a purple patch and in great form happens to also fit with the fact that he's in a position where he doesn't get exposed to the new ball that often. When he opens, it's the same story. New ball's moving around a fair bit for the first 5-6 overs, Gambhir pokes and fiddles outside off against the swing and gets dismissed cheaply. In the middle order, that weakness isn't exposed, and he gets more of a chance to face the spin bowlers - probably his greatest strength as a batsman. Watch him in domestics as well. He's iffy early on in his innings as well, very unsure from time to time against swing - Praveen Kumar sorted him out beautifully in the first innings of the Ranji final with a few swinging outside the off stump - but when he gets in and the spinners come on, he's lethal.

Thats just wishful thinking/too much blinkers on. In NO FORM OF CRICKET has Tendulkar given the impression that he is batting like a #1 batsman of his era for MANY years now. Infact, if i were asked to pencil a Test/ODI team NOW or based on the last several years form, i'd definitely omit Tendu in Tests and be hard pressed to justify his spot in the ODIs. The numbers also reflects this. Ponting, CHanderpaul,Yousuf,Hayden,Hussey,Kallis,Peitersen, etc. all are far better batsmen than Tendu in either form of the game NOW and have been for the past several years.
then u must have been watching some different cricket then what i was watching. I saw a batsman stick it out in the middle for close to 500 runs in 4 test series. i was seeing a batsman unlucky enough to get out 6 times in 90s and close to 1300 runs in 30 odd matches in ODIs. What have u been watching???
then u must have been watching some different cricket then what i was watching. I saw a batsman stick it out in the middle for close to 500 runs in 4 test series. i was seeing a batsman unlucky enough to get out 6 times in 90s and close to 1300 runs in 30 odd matches in ODIs. What have u been watching???
And that compares with what Ponting, Hussey, Hayden, Peitersen, Kallis, Yousuf, Jayawardene, Sangakkara have been doing for the last few years, how ?!? Face it, Sachin has been batting like only a 'good' batsman with the occasional above average/good series instead of a worldbeater like the abovementioned names have been for a while now. And if you think Sachin deserves a spot TODAY in a team ahead of any of the names i mentioned, then you are most definitely biassed.
Again' date=' CC - did you actually *watch* any of those innings, or just look at the scorecards/CI commentary/match reports?[/quote'] pointless arguing with this bloke .... Sachin hasnt done great in ODI against Oz in Oz ... agreed but there arent too many other options which in my mind is our bigger prob
And that compares with what Ponting, Hussey, Hayden, Peitersen, Kallis, Yousuf, Jayawardene, Sangakkara have been doing for the last few years, how ?!? Face it, Sachin has been batting like only a 'good' batsman with the occasional above average/good series instead of a worldbeater like the abovementioned names have been for a while now. And if you think Sachin deserves a spot TODAY in a team ahead of any of the names i mentioned, then you are most definitely biassed.
well he has certainly done better than his potential replacements Gambhir, Sehwag, Uthapa... so i guess he does deserve a spot ahead of them. Agreed he has not been in the best form, so what happens with everybody and when he is getting back in form you want to sack him just for the heck of it??? Talk of bias against a player.....

Overall he is the best batsman in the world- to say that at present SRT is the best batsman in the world is a joke!!! A better assesment is that he is still one of the best in India and no replacement has come close to him- we still lose matches when he doesn't fire. As far as against Aussies ideally i would also like to see SRT not opening against them if we have someone who is atleast good if not great to open and can be further groomed. If someone can take away the brunt of those overs I think SRT can belt the Aussie bowlers from the middle order and also pace the innings according to the situation. The unfortunate part is though that as Salil pointed out there is not a single player right now meeting that criteria who can replace him

Overall he is the best batsman in the world- to say that at present SRT is the best batsman in the world is a joke!!! A better assesment is that he is still one of the best in India and no replacement has come close to him- we still lose matches when he doesn't fire. As far as against Aussies ideally i would also like to see SRT not opening against them if we have someone who is atleast good if not great to open and can be further groomed. If someone can take away the brunt of those overs I think SRT can belt the Aussie bowlers from the middle order and also pace the innings according to the situation. The unfortunate part is though that as Salil pointed out there is not a single player right now meeting that criteria who can replace him
lets not get into argument who is the best batsman in the world... u r entitled to your opinion and i am to mine. whoever considers him not to Best in the world is joke IMO. But anyway, coming back to OP Sachin has been the most successful opener against ANY team. Granted in his last few matches against Aussies he has not been at his best But he has not done that badly either as compared to his potential replacements. So why bring this guy in middle order. just because GG has been successful in few matches playing at # 3 should be sent to opening (where he is not comfortable) and send Tendulkar to middle order (where he is not comfortable)... what logic is that???

Quite flawed logic by CC. Here's what you claim 1. Sachin shouldn't open because he avg 23 odd in last 4 years 2. Gambhir should open because he is in a purple patch 3. Gambhir scores more than 23 when he open, then he achieved the purpose Lets dissect the above 1. Gambhir's avg of 17, strike rate 67 against Aus. So, Gambhir shouldn't open..Correct? 2. Sachin also averages close to 38 in last few matches against Aus. Going by that, Sachin open against Aus..Correct? 3. Gambhir's avg must be close to 50 in this series. Can Sachin top that to justify the change in order?

In *this* team there is no other competent alternative at the top of the order. Gambhir can open, yes. But who is the other option ? I dont see Sehwag or Uthappa succeeding as an opener against Lee & co. The key though is to task SRT with a slightly diff role as an opener. His job is to provide starts (something that Ganguly did in the last year). That could mean SRT cuts down his shots a bit and bat at a SR of 65-70. If he is just asked to hold one end up, he may not get out as cheaply as often.

He WAS best batsman in the world. On career terms, he is the best batsman in the world. But he is NOT the best batsman in the world- in any form of cricket- playing as he plays NOW or over the past several years. .
This is the fact that eludes the ICF-ers. On Career terms is different from "now" and present. They keep hanging on to the past and keep saying He IS the best batsman in the world, when he WAS the best batsman.
This is the fact that eludes the ICF-ers. On Career terms is different from "now" and present. They keep hanging on to the past and keep saying He IS the best batsman in the world, when he WAS the best batsman.
Nice attempt at moving the goalposts, whiney. What exactly does that have to do though with the relevant discussion, that Tendulkar should not open vs. Aus?
In *this* team there is no other competent alternative at the top of the order. Gambhir can open, yes. But who is the other option ? I dont see Sehwag or Uthappa succeeding as an opener against Lee & co. The key though is to task SRT with a slightly diff role as an opener. His job is to provide starts (something that Ganguly did in the last year). That could mean SRT cuts down his shots a bit and bat at a SR of 65-70. If he is just asked to hold one end up, he may not get out as cheaply as often.
Hehe, and then if he gets out with that SR, guess who will lead the bashing :D All kidding aside, that's a good point, and that's where SCG was so useful.
Nice attempt at moving the goalposts, whiney. What exactly does that have to do though with the relevant discussion, that Tendulkar should not open vs. Aus?
it does not have to do with opening vs aus, but i was reading the posts after i responded to another thread where this past vs present is causing confusion to many folks, and happened to recognize the same thing that CC was trying to point out as well.
2nd highest scorer in 2007 amonst all batsmen playing cricket that year. ok, isnt the best, but is up there alright. open your eyes and remove the bias