Elliott out to make his mark

Feed

Grant Elliott is hoping he can become the latest South African to find an alternative route into international cricket after being included in New Zealand's squad. More... Elliott out to make his mark Grant Elliott is hoping he can become the latest South African to find an alternative route into international cricket after being included in New Zealand's squad for the first Test against England. The 28-year-old Wellington all-rounder was the surprise name in New Zealand's 13-man squad, having qualified for his adopted country only last year after moving from South Africa five years ago. He has been called up on the strength of last year's domestic performances, when he averaged 45 with the bat. ECBtv Eng v Nz Banners 120x60He can also swing the ball effectively, as the tourists found out in their drawn three-day match against a Selection XI in Dunedin when Elliott claimed 2-12 to help dismiss them for 131 on the first day. Elliott was included in New Zealand's 30-man provisional squad for the ICC World Twenty20 last year before failing to make the final cut, and his call-up will prompt comparisons with Kevin Pietersen's decision to leave South Africa and pursue a career with England. "As soon as I arrived in New Zealand and made it my home, I had aspirations of playing international cricket for New Zealand," Elliott said. "It's a really tough move to make, because you always grow up thinking you're going to be a Springbok or a Protea and then you make that change to another country. "But when I played for New Zealand A (last winter), when I opened the bag and saw the silver fern that was a real indication that New Zealand's my home - and I'll give everything for New Zealand." Jamie How Jamie How also features in New Zealand's 13-man squad Buy this photoHe explained how his priorities have evolved. "I came for a lifestyle change and also for my cricket,” Elliott added. “I've always wanted to play for a country. Obviously growing up it was South Africa but then when I moved here... “I think as a cricketer you have to have high aspirations and work towards that goal, because without a goal you don't really push yourself. "I'm a permanent resident now; I think I can push for my citizenship soon, which I'm quite keen to do. “Moving here has been great; New Zealand Cricket have been wonderful, and I consider myself a Kiwi now.” New Zealand recalled Jamie How, who is expected to open alongside Matthew Bell, and Ross Taylor, while Iain O'Brien has won the battle with Mark Gillespie for the final seamer's spot. Kevin Pietersen Elliott played against Kevin Pietersen at under-19 level Off-spinner Jeetan Patel has also been included although, like Elliott, he is unlikely to make the team at Hamilton - a venue expected to offer pace and bounce to seamers. The best chance for Elliott to play is if New Zealand believe he can fulfil a similar role for them that Paul Collingwood provides for England as a top-order batsman who can also help out with the bowling workload. But if Elliott is looking at anyone for inspiration about what can be achieved in the opposition dressing room at Seddon Park, he may well consider the achievements of his Pietersen. "I played against him for Natal Under-19s a few years ago when I played for Gauteng Under-19s," Elliott recalled. "I think he batted seven and bowled off-spin - and the next time I saw him he was playing in the Ashes. "Cricket's like that, I reckon; if you work hard at your game and if you've got aspirations and goals of getting to a higher level you can achieve anything.”

Great to see Grant make it to the black caps. Yet another of my mates making it to the Black Caps recently. He's a very good guy and is a very capable cricketer. I hope he does well. BTW he's from the same club as Jesse Ryder.