Any updates on this yengster Tondulkar who beat Kambli's mark?

fineleg

couple yrs ago... All Rahul Tondulkar wanted was to see his team through to the semi-finals of the Harris Shield inter-school cricket tournament. But even before his team’s fate could be decided, the captain of the IES VN Sule Guruji School made a mark that earned him pride of place in Mumbai’s cricket history. Tondulkar, a standard X student of the school in Dadar and a fan of Sachin Tendulkar, broke former Test star Vinod Kambli’s 18-year-old Harris Shield record on Wednesday. Tondulkar had no notion of the record score of 349 when he ended the first day of the match unbeaten on 227 against St Francis School, Borivli. Only when DNA contacted him did he realise the existence of the record. Kambli had slammed 349 not out for Shardashram English, also a Dadar school, against St Xavier’s school, Fort, in 1987-88. It eventually took Tondulkar only 345 balls to erase the mark. When the skipper declared his team’s first innings closed at 621 for 3, he was unbeaten on 357, with 49 fours and three sixes, and had spent 450 minutes at the crease. The second highest scorer was Bhushan Shinde with 130. The record itself came in a quirky manner. Tondulkar, on 347, turned spinner Pratik Pujari to mid-wicket and scampered for a single. Pujari ran to mid-wicket to field the ball himself and had a shy at the non-striker’s end, but Tondulkar made his ground. The throw, however, hit the stumps and sped to the fence, giving the batsman four extra runs and the record. “The credit goes to my coach, school, teammates, and my parents,” the happy lad later said. “I always knew my son will do something special,” said his mother Rashmi. Coach Gopal Kole said Tondulkar has the potential to “go places”. “It is a great moment for me that one of my boys has achieved the feat,” he said. “The boy has the potential to play for the country.” The rival team was in a daze. It was dismissed for just 79 in the first innings, and ended Day 2 on 105 for no loss in the second. “We feel sad that it has happened against our school,” said Pujari later. “But Rahul is a brilliant batsman.”

The real interesting part here is ... It is the same tournament in which Tendulkar burst onto the scene as a 15-year-old in 1988 by making 326 not out in a world-record stand of 664 with childhood friend Vinod Kambli. Now this new(s) star, after getting the attraction of the crazy cricket lovers and media , finds his place in Mumbai under-17 team... ================= But as our Little master SRT cautioned , lets not put pressure over him and make him feels uncomfortable even at this earlier stage of his career .. ======= shud be u-19 now, good luck

Guest HariSampath

1 out of 10 cricketers score huge runs in the Mumbai school cricket circuit and kanga league. Small grounds, 50-60 yard boundaries, dead as dodo pitches and remarkably weak opposition bowling in the 14-15 age group makes this possible. Boys just run in and bowl donkey drops which are flogged by slightly better batters , sometimes 3-4 boundaries per over is common. When it comes to serious cricket , a very small percentage of these players make it big ( Kambli, Tendulkar etc), as suddenly run making seems so much more difficult against U-19 state teams in North or South Zone , with much higher quality serious bowling , and standard size 75 yard boundaries. Most of these 13-14 year old kids who set school world records just fall by the wayside and give it up. Mumbai has probably contributed some of India's best ever batsmen from the days of Gavaskar till now. Mumbai has also put out many dozens of hypes ( next Gavaskar, next Tendulkar stories) than any other region in India, and many of them are found out at the FC level. Amol Muzumdar, Sishir Hattangadi, Lalchand Rajput , Ghulam Parkar, and so many dozens were just dummies who had plundered runs by the thousands in Mumbai but could not score meaningfully at higher levels. For every Sachin, Gavaskar and Vengsarkar, there have been a dozen sub-mediocre players overly hyped from Mumbai. The attitude of many young Mumbai players ( and I had interacted with so many , over the years , from age group to FC level players) is "It is far more difficult to play for Mumbai than India"...which is absolute rubbish. Mumbai cricketers ( with the obvious exceptions of the Sachin/Gavaskar types), mostly think that the cricket world starts and ends with Mumbai, and expect to be in national probables after a 200 in the school finals, or a 100 against Saurashtra on debut. If they dont get runs outside Mumbai against stronger sides on normal grounds, they get vexed very easily and fade away after season 2. Only the very good and talented players make it beyond FC level like Gavaskar, Sachin etc. Even last year there was a case of 2 schoolboys in Hyderabad who broke the Sachin Kambli record of 600+ runs. They scored some 670 runs in 40 overs ( U-14) against another local school , who were then allout for 35 or something. Scoring @ 16 rpo against a team which obviously had just children who had never seen a cricket ball before and may not have been able to bowl one bounce to the batter too, is hardly anything to shout about. The farcical nature of such games is obvious but our media , ever on the lookout for such "stories" blow it out of proportion . So, this "Tondulkar" who is Sachin's brother in law's aunt's sister in law's cousin's uncle's whatever is as far from Sachin in becoming a batting great and would have to be content with a name similarity with Sachin as of now.

I'm still stuck on the first line!! Kanga league has dead pitches!!:hysterical: And I thought Ian Chappell was retarded :haha:

When it rains heavily in Mumbai you can be sure the Mid-day Kanga cricket league is round the corner. It's no different this time as the decks were cleared for the start of the 57th edition of the unique monsoon tournament in the world on Monday with the captains meeting to discuss the knotty problems. Fact is there weren't any. In days past old umpires like P B Palsetia would ask innocently:"What happens if the hand caught grass as well as ball?". Out, of course he would be told. Fact is hand does catch ball still on the maidans. Fielders wade through paddy field-like outfields. When the batsman plays forward he gets muck on his face from the ball thudding on the pudgy pitch. The bat is used as a gardner's shovel to level the spots. That's the Kanga league, which is played on 13 Sundays among 49 teams spread over seven divisions.
Guest HariSampath
Are u saying A.Muzumdar is a FTB!?
Muzumdar was a much hyped "Achrekar/similar product", who was supposed to become a Sachin in one season...see what happened, he never proceeded beyond FC level, and didnt fit his early hype billings. That was the point I was making.