Holy mother, not again !

Ram

Guest HariSampath

Unseasonal rains have been on for ONE WEEK, raining twice each day. And for a test match to be affected, it doesnt hav e to rain all five days continuosly...just 1-2 hrs a day is enough

I Hope You Take Into account that the ground water level in chennai is low resulting in the grounds getting dried up soon...Plus MAC is a ground with one of the best drainage facilities in the country.......... Dont Forget That too.....................:beer-bottle:

Guest HariSampath
nothin'...im bored. and the rain is gonna wash out test-1.
finey...thunderstorms forecast for next 4 days ( till 25th), and the test starts on 26th ...I think the rains need to stop totally at least 3 days before the test to enable prparing wicket, which has not even been rolled as they have been unable to remove covers for last 1 week. Another 4 days of this and you can be assured of an underprepared wickt with test getting over in 3 days. Scores will read : India 1st Inngs 250 SA 1st Inngs : 160 India 2nd inngs 175 SA 2nd Inngs 105 allout ( Kumble 10 for 95 Bhajji 7 for 65 in the match) :hysterical:

Obviously Its Gotta Keep Low n Turn................ Initially it may assist swing as the wicket has been under cover and there is some moisture bound to prevail as a result of the sweat from covers........ If the sun beats down at least a good three days before the match things can be a whole lot different

Guest HariSampath
Hari, Seriously though...how is an underprepared Chennai wicket likely to play? Turn? Bounce? No bounce? Keeping low? Give us your insights. Thanks.
IF we get to a point where the wicket prep takes place for 2 days or less , which it may well turn out to be, the following can happen. 1. Pitch mostly kept covered over last 10 days before game due to rains, pitch would have been "sweating" while outfield would have been constantly absorbing water for days. 2. Due to regulations, wicket needs to be watered and then rolled, in this case watering in a controlled manner is ruled out and some "formality watering" may take place. 3. In addition to wicket having absorbed moisture and sweating, it would be watered minimally and rolled. The pitch will consequently have patches where damp content is uneven between 22 yards, and the rolling over this surface is what causes the "underprepared wicket" Chepauk is traditionally a fast and bouncing pitch where the soil naturally helps the ball to grip, now it may become a spitfire wicket with the ball turning and jumping, in an uneven manner. The unevenly watered , rolled wicket may also cause uneven bounce unpredictably. It will certainly NOT be low bounce or slow. The key here is IF all the above happens and we manage to start a test match sometime on the first day, the hot sun will cause a "drying wicket" that has been underprepared, a batter's nightmare ,a veritable minefield for Kumble take one look at and put his shirt on closing out the game inside 3 1/2 days. Anil will be seriously fancying himself to take a 10fer in the game and no one can really play him in those circumstances. SAf's only hope will have to be the test is TOTALLY washed out.
Guest HariSampath
Obviously Its Gotta Keep Low n Turn................ Initially it may assist swing as the wicket has been under cover and there is some moisture bound to prevail as a result of the sweat from covers........ If the sun beats down at least a good three days before the match things can be a whole lot different
Hope you had taken a look outta your window last 4 hours !! There has not even been a hint of Sun today ( and we are talking about Chennai in March !) and its been raining heavily and continuously. Next 4 days too the forecast is for more rain/thunderstorms and so the earliest this spell would stop ( if at all ) is the day before game and I dont think any serious pitch prep is possible ( although the BCCI would ensure no word of underprep wicket gets out "officially" )
Guest HariSampath
A Total Washout : I Dont Think That is gonna happen though and i pray it doesnt
By total washout I meant enough sessions that are rained off leaving only a draw as a result. Of course there will be cricket, and if the weather of the last few days continues as it has been forecast, this will be a short test match either way.